updated IIHS side impact test causes struggles to most midsize cars

Few midsize cars excel in updated side crash test (iihs.org)

Only the Subaru Outback gets a Good rating.

"With vehicles that sit lower to the ground, the striking barrier hits higher on the door panel,” says IIHS President David Harkey. “That potentially puts sedans and wagons at a disadvantage in this evaluation but reflects what happens in a real-world crash when these vehicles are struck by a higher-riding pickup or SUV.”

What many people don't realize is that crash ratings are for vehicles of the same size/weight class.

This study is not that. What this study means is that if you get hit by a larger vehicle than the one you're inside of, your risk of injury increases. I suspect the high ride height of the Subaru helps in this case.

But there's no real excuse for the poor showing of the Malibu, unless it's the outgoing generation version and the others are their newest gen versions.

Scott

outback is considered a midsize car? seems unfair to test it vs low sedans
How did the legacy fare in this test is what I would want to know.

They updated the test to have almost double the impact.. not surprised some have cabin intrusion.

Test seems valid but with the small sample of cars cant draw any sweeping conclusions except that ride height possibly helps.

I really do wish they would stop classifying the Outback as a midsize car. It is clearly the midsize crossover/SUV category.

That said, my 80 year old father just got T-boned two days ago in his 2014 Outback by a dump truck traveling 35-40 MPH; he walked away with only a minor scratch.
He's a lucky man and so are you. What side of the car was hit?

I really do wish they would stop classifying the Outback as a midsize car. It is clearly the midsize crossover/SUV category.

That said, my 80 year old father just got T-boned two days ago in his 2014 Outback by a dump truck traveling 35-40 MPH; he walked away with only a minor scratch.
Subaru only does it to skirt CAFE requirements.

The midsize CUV/SUV is occupied by the Ascent.

I would like to see a test video of what happens when a factory stock crew cab pickup is t-boned by a brodozer.

The Malibu is the oldest car out of the bunch, so it’s no surprise it performed the worst in this test.

Just wait until the new Hummer trucks start ramming in to "midsize" cars like the Outback, Accord, Altima, etc. As "safe" as they may be: I'd like to see how they hold up after a 30 mile an hour t-bone by something weighing 3x and standing 2x taller.

Back