Updated Ford position on CK oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A310
I haven't been following what ford says and been using the new Rotella T6 5W40 in my 6.4 with no problems. Mind you I've only added 2 quarts so far to a 20 quart system, but I'm confident that it will be fine. I've been running Shell oil in all my cars and trucks for over 30 years and have never had any issues to date.:) I'm sure Ford will come around and include it in their approved list.
That engine the 6.4L was made by Navistar , which they never objected to the use of CK-4. Ford did appear to indicate that a problem could be with there Scorpion engine and then make a blanket statement on all Power Strokes. Very suspicious on there proprietary test.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Not that it would surprise anyone, but after multiple attempts to get information (chat line, emails, phone calls) Ford is only willing to say this about the CK-4 testing results:

" ...that information that is considered proprietary in nature to the Ford Motor Company is unavailable to the public. The company is unable to share such information with the public."

(Note that I believe "unwilling" is a much more appropriate description of their attitude; they most certainly could share, but chose not to. Don't tell me you're "unable" when "unwilling" is the correct term. Ford can share; they just don't want to.)

So if I came out with my own study, but was unwilling to show any proof of my testing, and declined any request for testing methodology description, would you believe me? What if I claimed drinking 1% milk is bad for you, but didn't give you any data or specifics as to how it is harmful, or how quickly problems will manifest, or the severity of such results, or how I tested the product and came to such conclusions, would you have faith in my statement? And also, what if I said " ... but if you drink my approved milk-fat products, it will be OK and no harm will come of it", then how would you feel?

Is Ford right? I am skeptical.
Has Ford lost what little credibility I might have awarded them here? For me - yes.

When the entire lube industry sees a general acceptability of the new level product (CK-4) and major OEMs such as Mack, Cummins, Volvo, etc all say it's OK to use, based on many hundreds of hours of lab tests and probably millions of miles of field testing, who's really got the problem here? I suspect there's nothing wrong with the CK-4 lube; there's something "wrong" (sensitive, compromised, insert whatever term you want) in the Ford Scorpion design that this "new" lube has revealed. Like Ford needs another debacle after the "PowerChoke Sick.Ohhhh" days ....

Such [censored] when you want information to see if you want to challenge the company on there stance. GM did the same thing. It was regarding the use of E-15 in vehicles from 2001-2011. They said they did test and found E-15 causes engine problems. There is nothing more than that statement to be found. GM claim the same proprietary excuse when I pressed hard for info. about there test. I have a 2003 GM product and it has not complained about burning E-15 either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NH73
Originally Posted By: A310
I haven't been following what ford says and been using the new Rotella T6 5W40 in my 6.4 with no problems. Mind you I've only added 2 quarts so far to a 20 quart system, but I'm confident that it will be fine. I've been running Shell oil in all my cars and trucks for over 30 years and have never had any issues to date.:) I'm sure Ford will come around and include it in their approved list.
That engine the 6.4L was made by Navistar , which they never objected to the use of CK-4. Ford did appear to indicate that a problem could be with there Scorpion engine and then make a blanket statement on all Power Strokes. Very suspicious on there proprietary test.

Good to know thanks.:)

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Interactive searchable list.

That and their sheet are still a mess. What, pray tell, is Mobil HDEO 15w-40 and 10w-30? There are at least two Delvac products for each of those viscosities. Also, what is Wakefield Diesel Engine Oil 15W-40 CK-4? Wakefield sells about four 15w-40 products on Canadian shelves.

This is why this looks like amateur hour. An industrious BITOGer could have a better, more useful list written up for Ford in a couple hours and include product codes and SKUs.

So is there any news on Rotella T6 and Powerstroke? Amazon has no more CJ4 T6 nor does Walmart. AZ seems to have it in 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon containers but more expensive per gallon than gallon containers.

T6 on Shell website does not list the new ford spec as approved. T4 and T5 15w-40 and T5 10w-30 all show the latest Ford spec approval. T5 is hard to find at my Walmart, they are usually out and have very little shelf space for it, but they have tons of T4.

You can buy any oil in their nation-wide inventory. Just order it on the web site delivered to your local store (free, but there will be a shipping delay). They'll let you know when it's there, and you can drop by and pick it up
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
So is there any news on Rotella T6 and Powerstroke?

You would think that product wouldn't give Ford the willies, being only CK-4, and not CK-4/SN, but I guess it still does, according to their position statement. What a Charlie Foxtrot.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
T6 on Shell website does not list the new ford spec as approved. T4 and T5 15w-40 and T5 10w-30 all show the latest Ford spec approval. T5 is hard to find at my Walmart, they are usually out and have very little shelf space for it, but they have tons of T4.

I when I look at their website it does not say T5 10w-30 approved for new ford spec. but it does show ford spec for T4 10w-30. You are correct on T5 15w-40 new approval.

After increasing P to over 1000 ppm again, Rotella T6 5w40 is now on Ford's approved HDEO F list for powerstrokes (8/30/17 version of list).

Chevron has not changed their initial position AFAIK.

"As previously announced, we will continue to offer two API CJ-4 Delo 400 products in our portfolio,
Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 and Delo 400 SD SAE 15W-30,that meet Ford’s 6.7L engine protection requirements:

Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 will still be
available in bulk to our distributor channel where it may be repackaged into drums and pails after December 1st, 2016.
Delo 400 SD SAE 15W-30 will still be available in bulk, drum, pails,and gallon jugs after December 1st, 2016."

Chevron indicates they want to submit oils for testing as soon as Ford gets a test together. They want to play nice, but pushed the ball right back onto the Ford side of the court with a decent shot.

So pleased that I stocked up on closeout O'Reilley Delo SD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I guess Chevron does not want to play ...
12.gif

We have to remember that almost none of the majors were approved for the old PSD specification. Of the mainstream oils that I have used (Rotella T6 5W-40, Kendall Super-Dxa 15W-40, Delo 400 LE 5W-40, Delo 400 XLE 10W-30, and Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40) only Rotella T6 and Kendall met that specification (WSS-M2C171–E). No flavor of Chevron met it and so it is no surprise that they do not meet the new specification (WSS-M2C171-F1) either. Of course, Ford is not making it easy for any of the majors to meet the specification either, since they have yet (to my knowledge) to release the test criteria to anyone.

How do you really feel Garak? Tipping off a few PSD, Cummings, and Duramax owners of the Delvac 1 sale - they attacked with plastic cards. One who grabbed 45 gallons laughed when Ford dealer SM wagged a finger in his face - while guys on the concrete said we got some too for our truck. (They put it in his 2017 PSD)
I grabbed a few for 5.3L gasser. Finally got your stuff at great price;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back