Updated Castrol GTX specs for GF-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad Castrol doesn't feel confident enough to post their real HTHS numbers. I know lots of members would love to know.

I have to assume because it only meets the minimum HTHS. I also noticed the asterik on the GM6094M approval "meets performance". So is not really independently approval tested by GM.

Check our the pour points.

GTX is great, but has been notoriously a bit thick on cold startups.

If this is the same across the board for all dinos, it'll be another notch against synthetic for people that dont need it for longer drains.

-44 for 5w20 GTX. The pour point for my current SM Syntec is -42. lol.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Check our the pour points.

GTX is great, but has been notoriously a bit thick on cold startups.

If this is the same across the board for all dinos, it'll be another notch against synthetic for people that dont need it for longer drains.

-44 for 5w20 GTX. The pour point for my current SM Syntec is -42. lol.

Where does it show the pour point????

For those that cannot see page two of the TDS.

CastrolTDSpg2.jpg

Their 10W-30 is a THICK GF 30-weight - it has almost the same specs as Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30!

I'll concur that GTX isn't 'the best' winter oil out there - I've got what I'm guessing is bulk API SM/GF-4 5W-30 in my car right now, and cold starts are noticeable harder than the PC dino I had in before.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Their 10W-30 is a THICK GF 30-weight - it has almost the same specs as Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30!

I'll concur that GTX isn't 'the best' winter oil out there - I've got what I'm guessing is bulk API SM/GF-4 5W-30 in my car right now, and cold starts are noticeable harder than the PC dino I had in before.

The way I see it GTX 5W-20 looks like a good 5W-30 winter oil. It's the thickest 5W-20 100°C cSt I've seen with a very low pour point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back