UPDATE: RT43-driving in the snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was also posted at the bottom, with the other RT43 thread. I thought I should make another thread and have just cut/pasted it here for those who may be interested. Not just to take up space.
smile.gif

RT43 snow update:

So, it's been snowing steadily since Wednesday and it hasn't stopped yet! Won't stop til about Thursday evening(tonight) according to the local weather.

We're expected to get about 12"-15" in this time period, depending on location.

I had lots of local traveling yesterday with some shopping, taking my wife to & from work and meeting with friends. Sloppy day for driving and it was this way for me, from 10 am til 7 pm. I was hungry and tired last night!

The RX and the AltiMAX RT43's performed flawlessly in the deep, slushy snow that was like ice cream on the roads. Outside temps were in the high 20's to low 30's F and some roads and parking lots were only plowed minimally.

Entering a street/parking lot that was unplowed, didn't even faze the tires. They clawed through whatever I drove through.

Stopping on slick roads while traveling downhill was also a very good experience. AND, no wheel spin while accelerating, nor sliding while stopping on these sloppy roads unless, I wanted to hit the gas & stomp on the brakes(which I did do some tests) smile

It was(and will be) one of those driving experiences that all defrosters(F & R) and wipers will be needed. As every time I shut off the engine and parked the car to go into a building/store, I had to re-clean off the car just to see before driving off again.

Heavy wet snow/slush(lots of salt used on the streets) but, with the constant snowfall, the roads seemed full of snow all the time and the local town hiwy dept's were working all day/night trying to keep them clear.

Although the RT43'a are new and I kind'a expect this, I am very happy considering the weather conditions! I even did some aggressive lane changing(while traffic was quiet) and the car went where I put her without any fuss even on the "greasy" surfaces.

I am expecting good results for the rest of the winter as well. Typically, the deep(er), dry(er) packed snow usually gives us decent traction & stopping compared to what I'll be driving in over these 2 days.

The much colder glearing icey roads will be another test with these RT43's when the temperatures drop down to the single digits and below zero, AND the snow plows create an ice rink on the roads.

This is good to hear.
Am strongly considering a set of these for my Camry
What size/speed rating are yours?

I'm split against these and the new CS5 Tourings

Looking forward to an update from the north, as your winters helluva lot worse then down here.

My size/speed rating: 225-70-16/"T" speed rated. Keep in mind that these RT43's are on the "AWD" RX-300 in my signature. Itself does well in the winter but, the OE Integrity's sucked!

Definitely look into the CS5's. I'm not saying that the RT43 aren't a nice tire. They certainly are and I am happy with my purchase and giddy with laughter with the price/performance factor!
laugh.gif

You may just get a good/better price on the CS5's. I wish TR sold Cooper, even if it's only for the testing results and customer reviews.

I would have taken either tire as it was price dependent at the time of purchase, with a slight margin going to the RT43 as there are more reviews & testing on them at that time, is all. Just not enough information on the CS5's at that time. Though, I sure there is more now!

I have both Cooper and General in our fleet with good results thus far. (CS4, AltiMAX Arctic) prior to the RT43's

Not long ago, I wouldn't have given you a plug nickel for either brand!

Last edited:
We've experienced solid performance with ours on the Subaru as well. In both the rain and 4 inch snow we had they've done as well as the Michelins that they replaced.

When we had the snow a couple weeks ago my wife was at a board meeting, and when she returned home our roads (along with our driveway) had not been plowed. It's a long, somewhat steep drive to get up to the house from the road, and the car/tire combination never broke traction. We're also in a fairly hilly rural area, and my wife said that the car was rock solid in the snow on the way home.

So far I'm pleased with the tires; they seem to be wearing well and the price was certainly right.

Lot of snow hope everyone fares okay up there. For contrast, sunny and high of 53 coming here today. Riding the Ducati to get new tires put on later today.

Pop_Rivit,

Knowing that we're in good shape for the coming winter, makes retirement that much more pleasant, doesn't it?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Pop_Rivit,

Knowing that we're in good shape for the coming winter, makes retirement that much more pleasant, doesn't it?
smile.gif

Agreed.

Hmm.
Seems like these tires are well liked, and well priced

My application is 215/55/17 V, so I doubt my experience will be as good as yours, but its good to hear they're fundamentals are good.

I'm glad to see there's top notch options coming from Tier 2 tire makers. Having only 3 big household names to choose from was mighty irritating, and really expensive.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Hmm.
Seems like these tires are well liked, and well priced

My application is 215/55/17 V, so I doubt my experience will be as good as yours, but its good to hear they're fundamentals are good.

I'm glad to see there's top notch options coming from Tier 2 tire makers. Having only 3 big household names to choose from was mighty irritating, and really expensive.

Lots of good tires out there and many discussed here. I am not really set on one brand or model of tire. It's about what works on a particular vehicle and the driving style & climate we drive in.

Of course price is a factor too, depending on the age of the vehicle and how long a person plans on keeping that vehicle.
Stay with the higher rated tires and just find one that meets all of your criteria
smile.gif

I don't like buying tires when I can't find any/not enough information about them. For example, private label tires. These can be hit or miss and I just don't have time for this anymore. I need a higher batting average even if some are strike outs instead of home runs.

And since I've been doing more research on tires that meet my criteria, I have had no strikeouts. And not all have been home runs but, certainly extra bases.

The last tire that I recommended highly that didn't do well was 80,000 mile rated-Kumho Solus KR-21's. Though, the tires got on base, they got caught stealing! Meaning, they started out very good when new but, diminished quickly!...Way before their time. For one reason or another. Mostly, quick wearout but also, lost performance along the way(vibes, broken belts, shot by 30K-35K etc).

I still recommend the KR-21's but, for a person with a different criteria. For example, a person that is only keeping their car for another year or so, and needs a decent tire on the vehicle when they do sell it/trade it.

Last edited:
The more I hear about this, the more I like the RT.
With my new goal of 300k (currently sloe to 220k) set for the beater / winter beast Elantra, and it needing new tires in general, but esp. to overcome whatever snow NC might get (we get ice storms, ugh!), I am thinking this might be perfect for it.

Wife's Mazda 6 has [censored] tires but they're still new enough to get through the winter/snow in NC and she wants to replace them next year and now now - and I don't think RT43 comes in her 19" size anyway
....BMWs conti DWS have reached their end of life mostly but it's a garage queen and doesn't see snow/winter, and again, I don't RT has its size.

So in SHORT: Ellie the beater will be the only car that needs tires THIS year/soon. And I think I am almost set on the RT43...

I trust CharBaby
smile.gif

Thank you for the kind words! I always concern myself that, when I give a review on tires that BITOG members trust, that there is always that chance of the tires not meeting their expectations.

In this case with the RT43, they're still new to me and time will tell me more. I certainly believe that the RT43's are a very good value. And, an even better choice if the buyer get the RT43's with all of the rebates.
smile.gif

And I stand by what I have written!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Just put a set of rt43's on my work car and we're supposed to have rain/snow tomorrow.
Should be a fun ride

Malibu 4 cyl or V6? How well has it been over the years in the snow/winter time?

I know from others in my neck of the woods that, the V6's do quite well in the snow/ice but, the 4 cyls were a bit light in the front end and lacked good traction.

Keep us posted!

smile.gif

4cyl, in deep snow it could have more traction but then if it's deep I should have driven my 4wd truck instead.

Originally Posted By: daleferd
4cyl, in deep snow it could have more traction but then if it's deep I should have driven my 4wd truck instead.

smile.gif

I know, Right?

I have the same tires in 185/65/14r. Just had a bout of -20 degree overnight temps with highs around 0 that followed about a foot of snow here in SE Idaho. I Bought these tires in the summer and they are great for my Civic. I delivered pizzas for about 8 hours, 2 days in a row and they were great on icy roads, as well as roads with unplowed or packed snow on them. I would recommend these to anyone who needs to get around on roads that aren't cleared of snow or ice in the winter time without reservations. Only issue I have is that they take some time to warm up, and you feel the road a bit too much on the freeway when it is below 0.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree! Mine take a drive down the street to get rid of the thumping. Then, the RT43's are as smooth as any tire I've owned!

My Pirelli P4's react the same way when cold but, are one of my favorite tires.

In neither tire is this thumping bad, just mildly noticeable!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back