Update : My 2018 Mazda 3 will need a brand new transmission

Good day folks,

After a few recent post about one Mazda dealership refusing to change my AFT fluid at 100 000 km (my car is now 130 000 km) and getting my transmission overfilled by another Mazda dealership after ATF change, now Mazda Canada concluded that I need a brand new transmission coming strait from Japan (that's what the dealership told me, from Japan).

Yesterday, I wanted a second opinion for my transmission problems because I don't trust any dealerships to maintain my car, so I did bring my car to a well known transmission shop that I knew was honest. There was no fault codes, none, but he noticed that the 3rd, 5th and reversed gear had a hard shift/down shift and was engaging hard in reverse. So he found a bulletin from Mazda with the exact issue, exact gears. So basically told me the dealership needed to reflash the computer. At that time, I was still waiting to hear from Mazda and I received a call few hours later saying they will replace the transmission completely.

I assume that those series of transmission had a manufacturing defect? They did tried everything, relearn, flash ECU, and it didnt do anything, stayed the same.

Now, my fear is that they replace the transmission and that other problems would popup afterwards, I don't know if I should keep it or get rid of it. Other than that, the car was great, only put new disks and pads on it with cabin and air filter, spark plugs. Flawless until this transmission issue. The rest of the car is very well maintained, undercoating every year, wheel alignment every year or two, tire rotation, oil change at 5k miles.

I'm asking you guys with you're experiences, is it worth it to keep it? or should I get rid of it?

Thanks guys.

sounds bizarre.. but new transmission is good.
if there are any installation problems you will most likely notice quickly and they can fix those too.

but maybe you should have just continued this in your old post. since it fits with it.. or at the very least add a link to your previous transmission post.

Mechanical things like engines, transmissions, bearings, etc have a specific lifespan. Many of us here believe that lifespan can be extended by careful lubricant choices and lubricant changes. But the fact remains, even the best care does not extend lifespan into infinity.

If they are giving you a BRAND NEW (not overhauled) transmission, why would you refuse it? It resets that clock to zero! Another thought: You don't have to keep the car, but I promise a properly working transmission will help you sell it.

With the limited information you've provided, I'd go for the replacement. Make sure to double check their work (don't forget the suspension as it's partially disassembled upon transmission removal) and I'd do an early fluid change with the FACTORY FLUID, just to ensure it's clean.

Then decide whether to keep or sell.

EDIT: Just one data point, I purchased a new F150 a while back. Not long after purchase, the transmission tailshaft broke off at high-highway speed, resulting in the driveshaft folding up under the vehicle and causing all sorts of damage. I thought I was going to die it was so violent. Of course, Ford fixed the transmission and the undercarriage damage, and some time later the transmission failed under warranty. Hell, there were part numbers on the "debris" in the pan!!

Anyway, the replacement transmission went over 300,000 miles before it gave up the ghost. I kept the truck for 10 years, then gave it to my brother who kept it many more years. Not one problem with the truck, after that replacement. It was sold at 355,000 miles and still ran perfectly.

Last edited:
Good day folks,

After a few recent post about one Mazda dealership refusing to change my AFT fluid at 100 000 km (my car is now 130 000 km) and getting my transmission overfilled by another Mazda dealership after ATF change, now Mazda Canada concluded that I need a brand new transmission coming strait from Japan (that's what the dealership told me, from Japan).

Yesterday, I wanted a second opinion for my transmission problems because I don't trust any dealerships to maintain my car, so I did bring my car to a well known transmission shop that I knew was honest. There was no fault codes, none, but he noticed that the 3rd, 5th and reversed gear had a hard shift/down shift and was engaging hard in reverse. So he found a bulletin from Mazda with the exact issue, exact gears. So basically told me the dealership needed to reflash the computer. At that time, I was still waiting to hear from Mazda and I received a call few hours later saying they will replace the transmission completely.

I assume that those series of transmission had a manufacturing defect? They did tried everything, relearn, flash ECU, and it didnt do anything, stayed the same.

Now, my fear is that they replace the transmission and that other problems would popup afterwards, I don't know if I should keep it or get rid of it. Other than that, the car was great, only put new disks and pads on it with cabin and air filter, spark plugs. Flawless until this transmission issue. The rest of the car is very well maintained, undercoating every year, wheel alignment every year or two, tire rotation, oil change at 5k miles.

I'm asking you guys with you're experiences, is it worth it to keep it? or should I get rid of it?

Thanks guys.
The great thing is you don't have to decide in a day. You can wait to see how the car performs once the transmission is replaced and decide then.
I've driven rebuilt transmissions before and they've been fine.
Cars break, we fix them and keep driving.
Don't feel like you have to decide today. Give it a chance.
If you really want a new car, then you better order soon as the lead time for a car is likely similar to your replacement transmission.
Sounds like you really like the car and are simply worried about a recent bad experience. Odds are you'll get another 80-100k out of the replacement transmission.

If it were me, I'd plan to keep the car as long as I did without the transmission replacement and not let it bother me.

The great thing is you don't have to decide in a day. You can wait to see how the car performs once the transmission is replaced and decide then.
I've driven rebuilt transmissions before and they've been fine.
Cars break, we fix them and keep driving.
Don't feel like you have to decide today. Give it a chance.
If you really want a new car, then you better order soon as the lead time for a car is likely similar to your replacement transmission.
Sounds like you really like the car and are simply worried about a recent bad experience. Odds are you'll get another 80-100k out of the replacement transmission.

If it were me, I'd plan to keep the car as long as I did without the transmission replacement and not let it bother me.
I actually had a deal for a new 2022 civic sport, and will be delivered in a month or maybe less. Had great value for my current car for the trade. But I need to decide quick, they will sell fast.

I actually had a deal for a new 2022 civic sport, and will be delivered in a month or maybe less. Had great value for my current car for the trade. But I need to decide quick, they will sell fast.
I don't like last year's Civic as much as the Mazda. The jury is still out on the '22s. I can't stand Honda seats, and for a guy who drives as much as 10k, miles per month, as much as I like 'em, Honda's with their rising oil levels and awful seats are not for me.

I don't like last year's Civic as much as the Mazda. The jury is still out on the '22s. I can't stand Honda seats, and for a guy who drives as much as 10k, miles per month, as much as I like 'em, Honda's with their rising oil levels and awful seats are not for me.
I can agree on the seats, they could be better. However, even the base civic is very well packaged, even the upper trims. I was looking for a car with a similar suspension as my Mazda 3, independant in the back.

If they were rebuilding it I would worry but a new complete transmission takes no skill to install. I would consider yourself lucky actually.

The Honda Civic Sport has the 2.0 engine, with port injection, so no 1.5t concerns and the Honda CVT is largely bulletproof especially if fluid is changed (spill & fill) every 30k or so

If they were rebuilding it I would worry but a new complete transmission takes no skill to install. I would consider yourself lucky actually.
no, its a brand new one, probably less trouble to put a new one timewise, but yeah I actually didnt had to fight for it, they left me a voice message on my phone saying the new transmission will be delivered in two weeks or so. I knew there was some issues with some series of models made in Mexico and some from Japan too from a bulletin issued by Mazda. Hard shift in 3rd and 5th, clunky in reverse. So a relearn plus flashing didnt change anything, so I assume Mazda knew about this issue and thats why they had no problem sending me a brand new unit.

IMO port injection is a plus + thought only really cheaper newer cars use it! no DI for me as well as ANY type of "slushbox'!!!

Back