Update Chrome ASAP

Is this for both phones and home pc? I just downloaded Firefox for Android.
Been running Firefox on home pc for years.

I used to run firefox but kept having issues for a few month period with a couple banking sites.. so I am using Opera.
a Chrome derivative.

I used to run firefox but kept having issues for a few month period with a couple banking sites.. so I am using Opera.
a Chrome derivative.
Opera predates Chrome but I guess they could be similar now. Firefox doesn’t work for all of my work applications and edge is crap.

We use chrome at work all the time but our IT department hasn’t said anything about updating yet. Odd especially since we are constantly updating due to threats and TSA mandates.

Doesn't Chrome auto-update in the background when it's running ?

What about running Vilvadi instead of Chrome?

Since this vulnerability pertains to an important part of the underlying browser engine, Vivaldi, and every other Blink-based browser, and backend renderer, is affected.

Since Google spearheads the Chromium Project, which develops the Blink browser engine, and upon which Chrome, Edge, Brave, Opera, and Vivaldi all build upon to produce finished vehicles (browser apps), you can be pretty sure that each time Chrome gets a fire drill update, everyone else will follow as well.

Google is advising everyone update Chrome (I don't know for sure; but would assume that also includes Chromium-based derivatives, including, well, everything except Firefox and Safari these days!) ASAP to mitigate a 0-day; CVE-2023-2033.

That's not from Google but NIST. And even they say, This vulnerability is currently undergoing analysis and not all information is available. I'm not losing any sleep over it, but then, I don't have the launch codes for nuclear missiles on my computer either.

I personally run Firefox, as I want to support an alternative to Chromium-based browsers. That said, Firefox doesn't work correctly on a couple banking sites I use; I just fire up Edge for those.

Doesn't Chrome auto-update in the background when it's running ?
More than just that. Chrome also "helps" you by scanning your system incessantly, even if you have CLOSED it, and if you try to stop it from doing that, it acts like malware and tries to hide the files and threads it uses, then if you try to stop that too, it uses further questionable measures to take control of your system away from you so it can do what Chrome developers want.

Don't get me wrong, there's a small % of users who would benefit from it taking that much control over your system. I do not want that.

I
Darn phones! This is what happens when people just use the default browser on their phone, making Chrome (for andriod) look very popular, so site admins think that is the OS standard they should meet. When it's the opposite, that they should meet the standard for the little bit more obscure OS and then it will more often be something that works on Chrome too, so they have a higher browser support base by doing so. I know, I know, that seems a little backwards but that is how it usually works out. You don't need to design for the most popular 1 or 2 browsers but rather then next few popular ones. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
That's not from Google but NIST. And even they say, This vulnerability is currently undergoing analysis and not all information is available. I'm not losing any sleep over it, but then, I don't have the launch codes for nuclear missiles on my computer either.
@atikovi That is just the link **I** included. That does not mean that that data is the entirety of the vulnerability disclosure, dude! What if I had posted the link to "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley? It's a 0-day, in the wild, with a "high" severity rating.

More than just that. Chrome also "helps" you by scanning your system incessantly, even if you have CLOSED it, and if you try to stop it from doing that, it acts like malware and tries to hide the files and threads it uses, then if you try to stop that too, it uses further questionable measures to take control of your system away from you so it can do what Chrome developers want.

Don't get me wrong, there's a small % of users who would benefit from it taking that much control over your system. I do not want that.

I
Darn phones! This is what happens when people just use the default browser on their phone, making Chrome (for andriod) look very popular, so site admins think that is the OS standard they should meet. When it's the opposite, that they should meet the standard for the little bit more obscure OS and then it will more often be something that works on Chrome too, so they have a higher browser support base by doing so. I know, I know, that seems a little backwards but that is how it usually works out. You don't need to design for the most popular 1 or 2 browsers but rather then next few popular ones. Been there, done that.

Google apps come with an auto update mechanism that continually runs in the background, whether Chrome, Earth, or whatever app is open or not. On Macs, it's called Keystone, and on Windows, I believe it's simply called Update, but based on an open-source called Omaha.

Keystone has a long history of questionable behavior, and wrecked havoc on a subset of users of Avid video editing software. Hard lesson learned by some professionals doing real work, not just those who are simply privacy conscious and dislike stray processes running on their machines without their explicit knowledge, and consent.

For better or worse, this new web hegemony of Chrome, has roots from the popularity of WebKit, via the popularity of Mobile Safari, which was the first mobile browser that provided a real, non-sucky mobile experience. Google used WebKit as the basis of Chrome, before forking it to create Blink.

The paradigm shift to mobile, and the popularity of the two dominant platofrms, and their default browsers, Chrome and Safari, has made life harder for non-Blink/WebKit browsers, aided greatly by lazy web developers who target them, and in some cases, them only, as the largest group.

Mozilla didn't do itself any favors by making changes to Firefox that alienated long-time users, and years of mediocre performance, though now improved, also hurt it.

The Web was created including ideals of being an agnostic place. The IE hegemony was not good for users, nor is a Chrome hegemony, but the large mass of users (most of whom never stray from the default browsers) give the tech giants power and undue influence over how the Web develops.

Anyone who doubts this is a real concern should think back to the earlier days, when watching video online required a myriad of proprietary browser plugins, whether WMP, RealPlayer, Flash, or whatever, which each came with their own issues, before HTML5 became the standard.

Things should just work, for everyone, and not just those who use a particular browser. Sites that don't respect, of subscribe to that concept, don't deserve patronage. That includes sites that purposely cripple their mobile browser UX to goad users into downloading their apps to get a decent experience, partly driven by the opportunities apps provide to do more extensive data mining and other shenanigans.

If I didn't have any idea, then why wasn't it updated until I clicked on the 3 dots, went to Help, then About Google Chrome, and then it finally updated? Sure doesn't seem like auto-update autoupdated it if I have to manually click 3 different buttons to go into settings for it to update. But you're right, you know this computer and everything about it better than I do.

[QUOTE="I If I didn't have any idea, then why wasn't it updated until I clicked on the 3 dots, went to Help, then About Google Chrome, and then it finally updated? Sure doesn't seem like auto-update autoupdated it if I have to manually click 3 different buttons to go into settings for it to update. But you're right, you know this computer and everything about it better than I do.
[/QUOTE]
The auto update task does a "scheduled" check, the updates aren't pushed to the browser, the browser periodically polls the server and I'm not sure of the interval but it may be less frequently than once a day. So yes, the auto update DOES download the updates in the background, but it's not frequent enough that you would be notified immediately after an update is released.

The auto update task does a "scheduled" check, the updates aren't pushed to the browser, the browser periodically polls the server and I'm not sure of the interval but it may be less frequently than once a day. So yes, the auto update DOES download the updates in the background, but it's not frequent enough that you would be notified immediately after an update is released.
For mine, I was on v111 and updated to v112, but only once I clicked into it and had to physically tell it to update.

[QUOTE="I For mine, I was on v111 and updated to v112, but only once I clicked into it and had to physically tell it to update.
[/QUOTE]
I did too, because it hadn't automatically checked yet.

I just checked my Windows laptop and Google Updater runs at 3:49PM once a day.

Back