UPDATE: Auto rx "after" pics 93 Chevy pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: cronk
... I had an engine in the past ruined because the oil pump screen clogged from to fast cleaning.

Can you elaborate on this? What product or procedures did you use when this happened?

jeff

When I was 15, I bought a 79 pontiac Lemans at an estate sale for cheap (about $75). It had been sitting and had obviously been poorly maintained. I put a battery in and changed the oil and got it running. It ran ok but you could see alot of sludge under the valve cover. I decided to run some "gunk" 15 minute engine flush. The stuff smelled like 99% kerosene. I added it to the oil per the instructions and ran it 15 minutes. Towards the end, I noticed the oil pressure was lower than usual, but figured the oil was thine due to the flush. I changed the oil and filter, and ran the engine. The more I ran the engine the worse the oil pressure got, until there was ZERO oil pressure. Took engine apart, sludge in pickup screen, sludge in oil pump, bearings scratched and crud in the crank oil passages. This engine may have been on borrowed time anyways, but I still think to this day, if I had done a gradual clean that engine may have been saved.
Needless to say, I want to take my time and clean this gradually.
I have Valvoline Synpower and a Pure One filter on it now.
It is running the best it has since I have owned it, lifter tick is gone, seems to run smoother than it used to.

cronk - I hope you continue to post your photos and history, whatever the product and procedure you decide upon.
This is showing evidence, and helps dispel misbeliefs.

If only he could get his hands on some Fully synthetic MaxLife! good stuff!

...any thoughts to running a top end engine foam, like 2 cans of the stuff and letting it sit for 1 1/2 hours?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

...any thoughts to running a top end engine foam, like 2 cans of the stuff and letting it sit for 1 1/2 hours?

?
Top end foam?
I have run Amsoil Power Foam down the throttle body, but that is of no help cleaning up engine sludge.

I agree about the Maxlife full synthetic, if I could find any I would run it for sure.
I also considered running Rotella T6 5w40.

I was a big Auto-RX supporter in the past and Auto-RX seemed to stop a seal leak in a car I used to own. I have looked at the before and after photos and I just can't see where there has been that much cleaning.

I think I would give that Kreen stuff a try or some oil changes using a quart of MMO and a synthetic oil like Valvoline Synpower. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I have looked at the before and after photos and I just can't see where there has been that much cleaning.

The photos on the auto-rx site seem to show some cleaning, is there something that I am missing.

Quote:
I think I would give that Kreen stuff a try or some oil changes using a quart of MMO and a synthetic oil like Valvoline Synpower.

I am just wondering what will Kreen or MMO do that auto-rx cannot do.

Well, I realize this is a test of Auto-Rx. But if it was my pickup truck after removing the valve covers I would have removed as much as that sludge as I could have. And if it was fairly easy to drop the pan I would have cleaned the engine there also. With that much sludge maybe consider replacing the timing chain also and cleaning that part of the engine.

With some engines it is hard to get to the interior of the engine. But if you can get to the interior of the engine easily I figure it does not hurt to help the cleaning along. The engine would surely last a lot longer if it was cleaned up. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Well, I realize this is a test of Auto-Rx. But if it was my pickup truck after removing the valve covers I would have removed as much as that sludge as I could have. And if it was fairly easy to drop the pan I would have cleaned the engine there also. With that much sludge maybe consider replacing the timing chain also and cleaning that part of the engine.

With some engines it is hard to get to the interior of the engine. But if you can get to the interior of the engine easily I figure it does not hurt to help the cleaning along. The engine would surely last a lot longer if it was cleaned up. Just my opinion.

+1 you know that old chain has some slack in it!! go with a good double roller. and put a new pump in while your in there

i think the biggest part of the sludge will be located in the valley. so if you got the intake , valve covers and pan off and a bunch of solvent you could get all that stuff out. i have done it before. just takes alot of time and patience..
then a couple 500 mile runs with pyb and mmo should get the rest out.
but like you said its a test of arx

Actually, I was putting a new timing chain on it when I snapped the "after" pics. Put in a GM Performance parts roller timing chain set.
I had the intake off last year and cleaned as much as I could down in the lifter valley. I didn't spend much time on the heads, but I did remove the larger chunks and cleared the drain back holes out. I had the oil pan off as well and installed a high volume oil pump and new pickup screen. The bottom end of the engine was much cleaner, very little sludge buildup there.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
it doesnt seem to have done much. i was expecting more

Indeed. To be honest, I don't see much difference at all.

Best,

I believe the filter media speaks the loudest. I'm using ARX on 5 vehicles at present. I'm on the initial step. I can only tell something is different in one of my cars as it actually runs smoother. My Son even mentioned it and he doesn't have a clue I've added the ARX. Could something else have caused this? It sure could have. Sure, you can tell me subjective this, seat of the pants that, take off a valve cover, send some pics, yada, yada....It's sort of like a testimony of sorts. Can I prove it? No. Do I know it? Yes. When I get in the 3500-5000 range it really is smoother. Oh, it's a V-Tec engine in a GSR.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

?
Top end foam?
I have run Amsoil Power Foam down the throttle body, but that is of no help cleaning up engine sludge.

I agree about the Maxlife full synthetic, if I could find any I would run it for sure.
I also considered running Rotella T6 5w40.

I wish I could find 5Q jugs of it in some random WM around here. You can get them for as cheap as $7.69 per Quart at most Napa, or $7.99 per Quart at O'Reilly.

As for the combustion chamber cleaner? While we're in the spirit of cleaning I figure why not see what a sludge monster can spit out the tail pipe! lol
laugh.gif

Actually, I was putting a new timing chain on it when I snapped the "after" pics. Put in a GM Performance parts roller timing chain set.
I had the intake off last year and cleaned as much as I could down in the lifter valley. I didn't spend much time on the heads, but I did remove the larger chunks and cleared the drain back holes out. I had the oil pan off as well and installed a high volume oil pump and new pickup screen. The bottom end of the engine was much cleaner, very little sludge buildup there.

sounds like the engine is in good shape then
thumbsup2.gif

i bet after you are done with the arx a few regular ocis will have it clean as a whistle. it looked more like carbon to me rather than sludge btw

Originally Posted By: electrolover

sounds like the engine is in good shape then
thumbsup2.gif

i bet after you are done with the arx a few regular ocis will have it clean as a whistle. it looked more like carbon to me rather than sludge btw

Now THERE is a thought worthy of discussion. I wonder if there is any way to determine this?

alot of sbcs have carbon. its black and hard rather than soft and waxy. but i think sludge eventually gets burned enough and turns into carbon... im not sure. it seems to be really bad on engines with worn rings.. so maybe exhaust gas causes it. idk

i'd run the MMO first to cut the majority of it, maybe 2 OCIs, then something else perhaps Kreen as it's the flava now or that spare bottle of ARx i have sitting there for a few years. i'd also add some LC20 for fun if you have any

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back