UPDATE: Auto rx "after" pics 93 Chevy pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting for C3po to get on here and tell you that your engine can not possibly still be running because A-RX always breaks off chunks of sludge, clogging the oil system and locking up and destroying the engine.

I can't understand why he hasn't posted to that effect yet....

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
I'm waiting for C3po to get on here and tell you that your engine can not possibly still be running because A-RX always breaks off chunks of sludge, clogging the oil system and locking up and destroying the engine.

I can't understand why he hasn't posted to that effect yet....

c3po is no longer a member here. Plenty of good suggestions have been given to the OP to complete the cleaning.

You cannot expect something that looks like that can be clean in an instant? It takes a few years for those bad stuff to build up, it will probably takes a long time to clean it. Unless you can just vacuum it out of there.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
You cannot expect something that looks like that can be clean in an instant? It takes a few years for those bad stuff to build up, it will probably takes a long time to clean it. Unless you can just vacuum it out of there.

Or take the engine apart.

Slow cleaning would be best.

As promised here are some pics of the filter.
Its an AC delco ecore from my stash I got on clearance for $1.50 each at Walmart. I have cut open several of these and all look great. Look at all the crud it caught!

IMG_0546.jpg
[/img]

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

They look almost identical.Less than stellar results for running a sludge removal product 5K. If it was my engine i would be looking for the famous money back ARX guarantee.

OP Kreen does not break anything off in chunks,it liquefies it.
I have had much better results in 1k on worse deposits than this on a 3.0 Toyota with no plugged pick up screen.

a SBC will continue to run fine like that, they are very tolerant of neglect and sludge.
I've used ARX w/ good results, but I don't know if I'd spend the money on it in this application. I would definitely be trying something cheaper.
I would also pull the rockers and intake and manually remove as much gunk as I could.

I'd give Kreen a shot, at this point you've got a lot to gain. Post pictures if you do try it.

Originally Posted By: Trav

... does not break anything off in chunks,it liquefies it.

Is there any cleaning product that break sludge or carbon off in chunks?

Why are people bringing these (baseless) allegations up?

Hang on there a minute.I didnt say anything broke off chunks, i was referring to the OP's comment.Please read the whole thread.

Originally Posted By: cronk
I wouldn't even try Kreen in this engine, if all this crud broke loose to quickly, the oil pump pickup screen would be plugged for sure.

Originally Posted By: Trav
They look almost identical

You are 100% correct.

Quote:
Less than stellar results for running a sludge removal product 5K.

Maybe the OP has a thermostat that is stuck open or maybe there is a problem with his PCV.

Quote:
If it was my engine i would be looking for the famous money back ARX guarantee.

I really think we need to find out what is causing the problem, if your driving style, meaning short trips, or infrequent OCI's are leading to the problem then how can you blame auto-rx.

Correct the problem, then try auto-rx, and see if this product corrects the problem, from everything I have read on this board it seems auto-rx will not correct what is wrong, but there are some who have gotten results with this product, maybe they did the proper maintenance whereas others just poured auto-rx into there engines and expected it to work wonders.

Again please read the whole thread including the link to the original.

PCV valve and tube were replaced recently when I did a tune up, as were spark plugs and wires, air and fuel filter, egr valve and oxygen sensor.

Has the proper 195 degree t stat.
PCV had some crud in it, but was still sucking vacuum.

This is not my first time at the ARX rodeo,being told everything from being to stupid to follow directions to the engine has not been serviced enough.Neither one being the case,my daughter neglected her OCI on my wife's old Solara 3.0 that had been impeccably maintained and it got a little sludge build up.ARX didn't clean much of anything in over a year.

Pcv valve and tube were new, as is the thermostat.
I am fine with the results, if you could see it in person, you can see that the layer of crud is thinner, and all the junk in the filters proves some cleaning was going on. I have 3 oil filters that all look like this, 2 from the cleaning cycle and this one posted from the rinse.
An engine this filthy will take time to clean right, I may try some MMO. I had an engine in the past ruined because the oil pump screen clogged from to fast cleaning.
I maintain my vehicles well, but I always seem to end up buying vehicles that the p/o has neglected.

... I had an engine in the past ruined because the oil pump screen clogged from to fast cleaning.

Can you elaborate on this? What product or procedures did you use when this happened?

jeff

ARX works SLOWLY. something with that much to clean up will definitely take a while.

Have you noticed any MPG changes?

Why is everybody who have good results with ARX always gets bashed?

OP is happy with the results!!!

Not bad. The OP said it cleaned off 1/3 of the sludge in some areas. Don't forget that 'oil flow' areas are the most important. You're not going to get all crud off everywhere where oil doesn't have regular flow.

BTW, I don't care for or recommend AutoRx. But, you can't argue with: As you can see there is still a lot of cleaning to go, but I would say the Auto RX cleaned at least 1/3 the sludge. It seams to have worked best on the lower portion of the head where there is the most oil flow. In the last pic, you can actually see some areas of clean bare metal.
All and all, I am happy with the results.

I do recommend GF5/SN oils. Synthetic isn't a must for your engine but is an option if in your budget.
I do recommend avoiding extended oil change intervals. I wouldn't go more than 3k-5k OCIs, and as always top off as needed for any consumption.

At this point, you'll get plenty of cleaning with GF5/SN oils.

Nothing wrong with a low dose of Kreen IF YOU HAVE IT. Instead of using 16 ounces, use 1 ounce per quart. And, it won't break off any chunks. Even kerosene doesn't. Engine flushes breaking off chunks is one of the Autorx clan's scare tactics.

What I would try is a 3k run with Lubegard Bio/tech Engine Protectant. Lubegard

And, I would try Zmax for another 3k run. I noticed it has some slow surface cleaning ability. Zmax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back