Update: 02` Ford Ranger issues

Joined
Sep 27, 2015
Messages
838
Location
Alabama
Hey guys, Some of you may remember my issues I was speaking about with my ranger and its rough idle and converter slip issues. The rough idle was cured with replacing the MAF sensor. After losing my mind trying to troubleshoot the issue for months, I turned it over to my mechanic who had it for a week and found that one of the two terminal stabs on the sensor was slightly bent so he straightened it and it almost eliminated the rough idle but not completely so he threw on a new sensor and solved the problem. He said the old one seemed to be a cheap aftermarket type and replaced it with OEM. Thank you guys for all your help! NEW THIS MORNING: As I was pulling on to the exit ramp from the interstate, I noticed that the truck wanted to keep going as I was applying the brake to slow down for the yield. The RPMS stayed at 2k as I slowed down below 30mph until I felt I slight jerk in the truck and it settled back out to normal. I did just replace the IAC and TPS recently so im not sure if that may have something to do with it or not. When the original TPS went bad, it was jerking just like I felt this morning pulling in to work so I will look at that first then the throttle body.
 

NavyVet88

Thread starter
Joined
Sep 27, 2015
Messages
838
Location
Alabama
Originally Posted by Kira
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor IAC = Incoming Air....Valve?
Idle air control valve*
 

NavyVet88

Thread starter
Joined
Sep 27, 2015
Messages
838
Location
Alabama
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Thanks for getting back with the end result. GEE, I hope you find the culprit with your throttle.
Thanks and I apologize for taking so long on reporting back.
 

NavyVet88

Thread starter
Joined
Sep 27, 2015
Messages
838
Location
Alabama
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Go over the throttle cable carefully and see if anything is jamming, corroded or worn. I can't recall if you tried a Ford Ranger forum, but if not, list the problem there as well. smile
That's the plan. Im gonna stop and grab a can of carb cleaner after work today too and take a tooth brush to the butterfly as well.
 
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
8,423
Location
Scruffy City
Is it like a manual trans with the clutch still engaged? Had a sticking TCC onetime that acted like that. Did you use the recommended fluid when you serviced it?
 

NavyVet88

Thread starter
Joined
Sep 27, 2015
Messages
838
Location
Alabama
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Is it like a manual trans with the clutch still engaged? Had a sticking TCC onetime that acted like that. Did you use the recommended fluid when you serviced it?
Its an automatic 2x4. I did use the recommended mercon v when I did the trans flush and filter change back in September/august time frame.
 

01rangerxl

Site Donor 2021
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
10,874
Location
Birmingham, AL
Did you use aftermarket parts for the IAC and TPS? If you still have the original IAC, I would probably clean it out real well with throttle body cleaner and put it back on if it does it again. Some aftermarket ones don't work very smoothly. Maybe just wait and see if the issue repeats...if it just did it once, it may have been a fluke.
 
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
3,080
Location
Lakeside, CA
I have owned a few Rangers over the years. Check your floor mats! It's pretty common to have after market floor mats catch the gas pedal. It happened to me going to work one morning. Floor mat went right into the trash.
 

NavyVet88

Thread starter
Joined
Sep 27, 2015
Messages
838
Location
Alabama
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Did you use aftermarket parts for the IAC and TPS? If you still have the original IAC, I would probably clean it out real well with throttle body cleaner and put it back on if it does it again. Some aftermarket ones don't work very smoothly. Maybe just wait and see if the issue repeats...if it just did it once, it may have been a fluke.
I do not have the original. My luck happened to be that the tps went out about a mile and a half from my local autozone and all they had in stock was the Duralast brand so that's what I got.
 

NavyVet88

Thread starter
Joined
Sep 27, 2015
Messages
838
Location
Alabama
Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I have owned a few Rangers over the years. Check your floor mats! It's pretty common to have after market floor mats catch the gas pedal. It happened to me going to work one morning. Floor mat went right into the trash.
Interesting...I will give those a look as well.
 
Joined
Jun 26, 2018
Messages
325
Location
AR
Did you do the idle relearn procedure, after clanging iac and maf sensors? If so you'll want to do it again after cleaning your throttle body. After you reconnect the battery let it idle three minutes with air conditioner off, kill it and restart it and turn the ac on max for 3 minutes before killing it again.
 
Top