UOA Data on 0w16 & Toyota A25A-FXS

Contemplating the idea of collecting longterm UOA data on the A25A in the Sienna Hybrid.

Getting oil changes done recently due to a hectic schedule. So I’d have to start doing it myself again to ensure accurate sample data. I would only be doing these UOAs to get more “real world”, longterm user data out there on 0w16 in the hybrids. There isn’t much. Might brand hop some too since all the UOA’s I’ve seen on 0w16 are Mobil. Once again, just to get more data out there. Likely to stick with Toyota filters from the dealer though to maintain filter consistency.

Not exactly easy on vehicles. Drive a lot and haul a lot. Also living in Texas we see frequent temp fluctuations. It could be freezing rain one day and 85F and sunny the next. Typically run 200,000 miles on vehicles before moving on, only 35,000 currently.

Anyone interested? Not looking for sponsorship just whether folks want to see it or not. I’m on the fence whether I even want to do it.

I would be interested. I'm also in TX in the Austin suburbs. I will have the 2022 XLE delivered on Dec 8. It has 37.5k miles right now, ex Hertz rental car. I have some 5W-20 and 0W-20 in the stash. Plan to do a short run with fresh oil to "flush" whatever is there now as I don't know what it is and how long it was there.

Hopefully, this car will be as described and as shown in the pictures. I have the 2022 Kia Carnival SX Prestige with 34k miles sitting in the driveway right now. Nice looking car, love all the bells and whistles it has, huge screens, and second-row lounge seats, it is head above Sienna for the same $. But, Carvana's "certified" appearance means nothing. The car was supposed to be a "premium" detailed before delivery to be "just like new". It was delivered filthy inside like some did not ever clean it in 2 years of the lifetime of that vehicle level filthy. It got new tires installed which is great, but they are cheapo Ironman tires and they are horribly unbalanced. All wheels have lots of weights and the front driver has 2 rows of weights stacked on top of each other(someone needs to have his hands slapped with a dipstick). I could live and easily fix those 2 items. But since day 1 I suspected something was wrong with AC. AC works whenever it feels like it. on day 3, a day ago it was raining for the first half of the day so it was very humid outside, we drove to see the Christmas tree in a neighboring town. The car has a sensor that directs conditioned air to the windshield to defog it automatically. Well, since AC decided to not work it made things go wrong very fast, and the windshield fogged up quickly to dangerous levels. Had to pull over and wipe it off with kiddo's hat. At that point, my wife said -- this car is done, send it back and I had the same thoughts in my head.

My original plan was to use 0w-16 and change it every 5k until the warranty runs out. The more I read about it lately, the more I'm leaning toward 20 and 30-grade oils. Now I'm really interested if 0w-16 would be really enough to protect those engines(especially if there is fuel dilution. Outlander in my sig dilutes oil pretty good, 7500 miles/6 month OCI per manual seems very reasonable there. Plan to bump this one to 30-weight oil. Elsewhere in the world, it calls for 30, and 40 is ok in hot climate countries.

With so many uncontrolled variables in this scenario that you describe I don’t see how a statistical analysis of the results would yield anything that would be significant.

I mean isn’t this what Blackstone is already saying? They’ve looked at their data and state that no oil shows any statistically significant difference between any other. This is most likely due to the rather severe limitations of a cheap spectrographic analysis more than than anything. Vast number of uncontrolled variables here.

Comparative quality or wear testing between oils is a sophisticated business and you don’t get it for $30 and the Internet.

I would be interested. I'm also in TX in the Austin suburbs. I will have the 2022 XLE delivered on Dec 8. It has 37.5k miles right now, ex Hertz rental car. I have some 5W-20 and 0W-20 in the stash. Plan to do a short run with fresh oil to "flush" whatever is there now as I don't know what it is and how long it was there.

Hopefully, this car will be as described and as shown in the pictures. I have the 2022 Kia Carnival SX Prestige with 34k miles sitting in the driveway right now. Nice looking car, love all the bells and whistles it has, huge screens, and second-row lounge seats, it is head above Sienna for the same $. But, Carvana's "certified" appearance means nothing. The car was supposed to be a "premium" detailed before delivery to be "just like new". It was delivered filthy inside like some did not ever clean it in 2 years of the lifetime of that vehicle level filthy. It got new tires installed which is great, but they are cheapo Ironman tires and they are horribly unbalanced. All wheels have lots of weights and the front driver has 2 rows of weights stacked on top of each other(someone needs to have his hands slapped with a dipstick). I could live and easily fix those 2 items. But since day 1 I suspected something was wrong with AC. AC works whenever it feels like it. on day 3, a day ago it was raining for the first half of the day so it was very humid outside, we drove to see the Christmas tree in a neighboring town. The car has a sensor that directs conditioned air to the windshield to defog it automatically. Well, since AC decided to not work it made things go wrong very fast, and the windshield fogged up quickly to dangerous levels. Had to pull over and wipe it off with kiddo's hat. At that point, my wife said -- this car is done, send it back and I had the same thoughts in my head.

My original plan was to use 0w-16 and change it every 5k until the warranty runs out. The more I read about it lately, the more I'm leaning toward 20 and 30-grade oils. Now I'm really interested if 0w-16 would be really enough to protect those engines(especially if there is fuel dilution. Outlander in my sig dilutes oil pretty good, 7500 miles/6 month OCI per manual seems very reasonable there. Plan to bump this one to 30-weight oil. Elsewhere in the world, it calls for 30, and 40 is ok in hot climate countries.
Obviously I didn’t end up doing it as life got in the way. Changed jobs, wife went back to school, kids picked up more activities and the desire to put in the effort for this just wasn’t there. Sorry about that.

Congrats on the new van. Anecdotally you should be fine on either 16 or 20 based on my experiences. Just keep an eye out for fuel delusion during the winter or short tripping as mine saw some during the abnormally cold winter last year. Also I do 5K miles OCI out of the simplicity of it more than anything.

List of all the oil used in the Toyota so far. I cannot tell a difference with any of it. Not even with MPG going up or down in viscosity.

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W16
Valvoline Advanced 0W16
Pennzoil Platinum 0W16
Mobil1 0W16
Pennzoil Platinum 0W20

Nearly at 75K miles on mostly 16. Might permanently go to 20 once I’m out of the 16 I have on hand, but haven’t decided yet. Probably would not make a difference either way.

With so many uncontrolled variables in this scenario that you describe I don’t see how a statistical analysis of the results would yield anything that would be significant.

I mean isn’t this what Blackstone is already saying? They’ve looked at their data and state that no oil shows any statistically significant difference between any other. This is most likely due to the rather severe limitations of a cheap spectrographic analysis more than than anything. Vast number of uncontrolled variables here.

Comparative quality or wear testing between oils is a sophisticated business and you don’t get it for $30 and the Internet.
Yeah, I never really intended for it to be a statistical analysis or anything to take too seriously. It was more or less just to get more UOA’s with more brands of 0W16 out there and because just I felt like doing it. Nobody really responded until way after the original post and I got busy so it never happened anyways.

I will probably order several UOAs anyway and post in on this forum. I can message you, once I do so if you want to collect them in one spot.

Back