Magnesium 2
Phosphorus 377
Zinc 44
Barium 1

SUS Viscosity 47.6
FP was 440f.

Not a bad report it seems for a 68K run
cool.gif

Thanks for posting. I'm at 30k miles on my 330 with the same trans fluid.

I'm going to be changing that shortly. What did you replace it with?

Not my car although I wish it was,400hp what a beast
shocked.gif
!The guy who ran this UOA ended up using RP Synchromax(many seem to do with positive results in M5 forums).

I got an 03 325i wagon with almost 29K on and also am contemplating changing the transmission lube.It currently has the OEM MTF-LT-01 which has given me excellent shift performance so far(no below 40f temps yet)so I am pretty hesitant to change it out.This UOA of the MTF-LT-01 in a much higher horsepower/torque application does give me more confidence in perhaps running out the OEM fill out to 60K instead of dumping it at 30K.It is also good to see that over a 68K run it looks not to of sheared out of grade at all compared to the VOA.Pretty solid
cool.gif

It seems there is not clearcut aftermarket replacement for this stuff overall too although Specialty Formulations offers a 70W-85 MTL-P lube as a replacement for the BMW MTF-LT-02 which was the replacement for the 01 stuff.

If I ever change it I'd probably go with either:
M1 ATF
BMW OEM 01 02
SF MTL-P
RP Synchromax

Alan,

Check out e46fanatics.com.

The vast majority of the people changing their manual transmission fluid are using Redline D4 ATF.

I asked the question as to who was using it for high miles. I got quite few responses, and there were a few with 90k miles (with regular 30k miles fluid changes) with no problems at all.

Nobody had reported any problems with this fluid, but most indicated the transmission began to feel "notchy" after 30k miles...and so that was a good change interval.

I'd use the BMW stuff if I could buy it by the litre. It seems to be pretty robust.

Jim 5

Your dealer's parts department will probably sell you a smaller quantity pulled from their bulk tank. I spoke to my local dealer last week and the parts manager said he'd be happy to sell me what I needed for a change, although he thought I was daft for wanting to do my own (I know him quite well, needless to say).

MTF-LT1 is superceded by MTF-LT2, and there are a number of aftermarket replacements. Having had more than one BMW gearbox replaced as a courtesy long after warranty expiration, I'm sticking with the factory fluid.

Cheers
JJ

Thanks JAJ,

I'll give that a try! You must be a smooth talker to have received MORE than one free transmission. Well done!

quote:

Originally posted by jaj:
Jim 5

Your dealer's parts department will probably sell you a smaller quantity pulled from their bulk tank. I spoke to my local dealer last week and the parts manager said he'd be happy to sell me what I needed for a change, although he thought I was daft for wanting to do my own (I know him quite well, needless to say).

MTF-LT1 is superceded by MTF-LT2, and there are a number of aftermarket replacements. Having had more than one BMW gearbox replaced as a courtesy long after warranty expiration, I'm sticking with the factory fluid.

Cheers
JJ

I've read that MTF-LT2 is no longer sold in this country.

Alan

Interesting observation - all I can say is "check out the BMW parts site (www.realoem.com)".

It shows the part number for MTF LT2: 83-22-0-309-031 and indicates it as replacing MTF LT1.

If there's been a further change, that site doesn't show it, and my experience with it on other parts is that it's deadly accurate when it comes to parts for BMW's.

MTF LT1 (PN 83-22-9-408-942)is shown as "ENDED", which I presume means discontinued.

Cheers
JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back