unlocking old ipad

so i dug out an old ipad we had laying around. whne i turned it on it required it to set setup. it ask for a icloud id which i have, but i forget the password. try the password reset , but it ask for a birthday and i am not sure what date i put in. or it will send password reset to my icould email , which requires a password.

Since ihave non of this stuff, how do i unlock it for use? i saw some software online that is supposed to do it ,but its not free. Could i go to the apple store and they would reset it?

thanks for any help

You need to unlock it with the icloud id / apple id, that's an anti-theft mechanism. You might be able to try calling apple's support to get some help, but you will need to somehow remember the password.

You will need the person who owns it to go with you to the Apple Store, that's the only way to get it unlocked (my brother had to do this with a used iPhone that no one could remember the passcode to).

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
You will need the person who owns it to go with you to the Apple Store, that's the only way to get it unlocked (my brother had to do this with a used iPhone that no one could remember the passcode to).

ok. we bought it new so its been in the family . kids gave ti to me a while back and i wiped it ,set it up and put it away. battery went dead which may be why it need to set up again, but its lock the apple id.

i am in no big rush to unlock it . jsut want to use it for casual stuff. i think its a gen 1 .LOL

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

ok. we bought it new so its been in the family . kids gave ti to me a while back and i wiped it ,set it up and put it away. battery went dead which may be why it need to set up again, but its lock the apple id.

i am in no big rush to unlock it . jsut want to use it for casual stuff. i think its a gen 1 .LOL

A gen 1 or gen 2 should be able to be wiped again and reset to defaults, hopefully you have a backup on iTunes on a PC somewhere? Not sure if you have to have the passcode to do that or not?

Originally Posted by 2009Edge
Call Apple support @1800-275-2273 they will help.

Call them and spoke to a tech. He told me there are only 2 way to do it. Figure out the password or find the original receipt. without either one i am SOL . i asked him if goign to the store they could wipe it there. he told me because its an activation lock could do nothing there

So are there any other options? Do any of the online paid sites crack it?

This is why I keep track of usernanes, passwords, security questions & answers, etc in one encryted place.

I would think you would have used a birthday like yours or someone special. Does it lock you out after X number of failed attempts?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
This is why I keep track of usernanes, passwords, security questions & answers, etc in one encryted place.

I would think you would have used a birthday like yours or someone special. Does it lock you out after X number of failed attempts?

i dd,but I don't remember which one. its a iPad 3 from 2012 so not a huge loss .

I am sure if you just forgot the username password they can get you back if you show them your ID and credit card info in the apple store, but they lock these things down to deter thieves. You don't see that many of them like 10-15 years ago because they start locking them down. Check out the story of "Orange Bro", a guy in NYC's lost phone ended up at an orange farm. It ended with a happy ending and a celebrity promo tour and all expense paid for. Most stolen iPhone stories don't have such happy ending.

I worked for a municipality that had a user link a government ipad to his personal account, then get fired.

We went back and forth with apple, they would not do it over the phone.

Took the thing to the apple store in Austin, the dude walked in the back and had it unlocked in one minute.

We had to show an original purchase invoice to prove ownership.

Back