Universal Coolant

OP - what vehicles do you have? You mentioned toxicity. They are not toxic in the containers. Hopefully you don't have any little kids that might think its KoolAid and drink it.
I mentioned toxicity as far as dumping it. I had a pervious thread wondering where to dump the coolant at as there are no places close by to recycle.

As far as vehicles, I maintain Hondas/Acura's, Toyotas/Lexus, Chevy, Ford, and farm equipment.

That’s 30 year old crap that gets recirculated on the Internet. :rolleyes: I’ve been running Dexcool in my 2008 Suburban for 13 years. Changed it twice at 5 year intervals. Still has the original water pump, heater and radiator.
Thanks, as mentioned, I am not well versed in coolant and learning.

These discussions have lead to more questions.

Is this personal preference that people do not like mixing or using universal coolants or is there a chemical reason not to? Do we not trust the manufacturers that say their product is compatible?

Is this preference this simply a carry over from years past where bad things did happen when mixing coolants? Same as my question asking about DEXCOOL being bad and member snagglefoot dispelled that rumor,

Has technology progressed that now it does not matter if a coolant is universal?

I mentioned toxicity as far as dumping it. I had a pervious thread wondering where to dump the coolant at as there are no places close by to recycle.

As far as vehicles, I maintain Hondas/Acura's, Toyotas/Lexus, Chevy, Ford, and farm equipment.
I believe you can pour it down the drain if you have city sewer. Or put into trash. A local indy shop might take it.

How long when its poured into your radiator? 10 years?
That is what does not make sense, they say 10 year warranty when it is subject to repeated heating and cooling cycles. their website claims, with limited exposure to the to over 95 degrees? The concentrate is 3 years but the 50/50 is 5 years :unsure:

"Storage Recommendations: PEAK Antifreeze + Coolant can be stored in original container at ambient temperature with limited periods of exposure to temperatures above 95°F (35°C) for 3-5 years, provided the container remains sealed. Product should be agitated before dilution or use."

I think the storage time takes into account the time for actual use. 3-5 years PLUS the 10 years in service. If you leave it on the shelf for longer it may not provide the full 10 years of protection.

Most of the vehicles I maintain have standardized on MAXLIFE ATF so far so good.

I hate replacing coolant as always end up with an opened jug. Honda Blue, Dexcool, Toyota Pink. etc and with the toxicity of coolant, I do not want to waste more than need be.

Can I standardize coolant to one of the universal coolants? Note I do not flush systems, simply do regular D&F of Radiator.

Right now I have half a jug of Honda Blue, 3/4 of a jug of Peak Goobal, 3/4 jug of Toyota Pink, 1/2 a jug of dex cool all over 2 years old.

I want to just stock a single coolant if at all possible

I think I'm going to convert all my stuff to the Peak 10yr antifreeze as they come due. Just put it in the Kubota last week.

If you are referring to Peak 10X, good call imo. If I was to convert all my vehicles to one AF, it would be Peak 10X, full strength variety.
I meant to type Prestone 10yr.. although I wouldn’t have any issue running the peak 10x, but it’s not $11 a jug for full strength at Walmart.. haha

Which would be preferable Peak 10x or PGL? I looked at the SDS and they look identical.

I can source PGL full strength for $12 locally and Peak 10x is available as well.

Which would be preferable Peak 10x or PGL? I looked at the SDS and they look identical.

I can source PGL full strength for $12 locally and Peak 10x is available as well.

Either is fine. Whichever one is the better price. $12 for concentrate is a good price for PGL :)

..... although I wouldn’t have any issue running the peak 10x, but it’s not $11 a jug for full strength at Walmart.......
10X FS is ~$11.50/gal currently at Napa AP stores as part of monthly specials. As I'd seen it sold in O'R AP before for kicks searched and noticed there's currently a $7 prepaid MC rebate making it ~$9/gal AR. That said, know some folks don't like messing with rebates. Either way, I prefer the inhibitor pack/profile of 10X. To each their own.

Last edited:
I meant to type Prestone 10yr.. although I wouldn’t have any issue running the peak 10x, but it’s not $11 a jug for full strength at Walmart.. haha

Both are from reputable companies with long histories. I would go by price. People who happen to use one or the other will defend their choice much like defending their local sports team. Beware of armchair chemists. ;)

Just to be more specific regarding my previous post preference for one inhibitor pack/profile in previous post over another. It is what is known factually known about both universal AFs mentioned in this threads. 10X (like PGL) does not use 2eha as an 'inhibitor' where the other brand does. This is common knowledge now that can be found in multiple posts with links in this sub forum. Thus, my preference.

So, just the ability to read the an SDS and/or the product description required to ascertain the difference.

10X FS is ~$11.50/gal currently at Napa AP stores as part of monthly specials. As I'd seen it sold in O'R AP before for kicks searched and noticed there's currently a $7 prepaid MC rebate making it ~$9/gal AR. That said, know some folks don't like messing with rebates. Either way, I prefer the inhibitor pack/profile of 10X. To each their own.

I went down a rabbit hole reading about 2eha and it really doesn't sound like the stuff you want in your coolant if you have a choice.

Ignorance is bliss and I've been flushing and filling cars old and new with the cheapest universal coolant (full of 2eha) forever and I've never had any coolant issues out of any of them over the past 10-15yrs. Only cars I've seen with nasty looking coolant systems were factory fill dexcool that was 15+ years old.

I am standardizing ours to TRP ELC. We keep a 55 gallon drum of it in 50/50 for quick and easy top off of anything on the farm. I have almost everything diesel already converted and a couple gas trucks done already. I’m sure this isn’t ideal for gas stuff but I’m taking my chances. Most of our gas stuff was fords and called for Gold/G-05. Everything I convert gets a full flush though so compatibility with old coolant isn’t a huge concern.
TRP ELC is just relabeled Chevron ELC coolant. Factory fill for all Peterbilt and Kenworth trucks. Its a great choice for all engines.

Back