Universal Coolant

Most of the vehicles I maintain have standardized on MAXLIFE ATF so far so good.

I hate replacing coolant as always end up with an opened jug. Honda Blue, Dexcool, Toyota Pink. etc and with the toxicity of coolant, I do not want to waste more than need be.

Can I standardize coolant to one of the universal coolants? Note I do not flush systems, simply do regular D&F of Radiator.

Right now I have half a jug of Honda Blue, 3/4 of a jug of Peak Goobal, 3/4 jug of Toyota Pink, 1/2 a jug of dex cool all over 2 years old.

I want to just stock a single coolant if at all possible.

I’d never run universal I always run what the owners manual said. Coolant doesn’t go bad so I wouldn’t worry about it setting around. Most of my vehicles take the old school yellow/greenish coolant then my two Toyota take pink and then my dads truck takes red. Then I keep the special Korean dark green for my grandmas car. And my 2008 Ford takes either the Ford yellow or Orange either one. I don’t feel the universal would have good enough additives to suit all of the different stuff that we have now.

I run Dexcool in all my vehicles. Had to flush the Corolla real well before switching. The Avalon got an JDM engine swap & new radiator so I just had to flush the heater core.

The Corolla had a Pink antifreeze....There was some nasty/crusty BS that would form around the coolant reservoir that has gone away since the switch to Dexcool. YMMV

I'm not big on universal coolants.

My personal favorite is G13, which I used to buy with VW label. Although discontinued, it's still available in the aftermarket under brand names such as Mannol.

That being said, I'm replacing all cooling system components on my Explorer at this point and since I couldn't source G13, I went with Peak Antifreeze+ Full Strength this time. Says its good for "10+ years/300,000+ miles", but I replace the thermostat and hoses and do a flush every 5 years regardless.

I am standardizing ours to TRP ELC. We keep a 55 gallon drum of it in 50/50 for quick and easy top off of anything on the farm. I have almost everything diesel already converted and a couple gas trucks done already. I’m sure this isn’t ideal for gas stuff but I’m taking my chances. Most of our gas stuff was fords and called for Gold/G-05. Everything I convert gets a full flush though so compatibility with old coolant isn’t a huge concern.

I’m not a fan of mixing universal coolants. You’d have to do a flush on all your vehicles to use say JD Coolgard as mentioned above. Unnecessary maintenance is wasteful too. Sounds like a hassle too.

I have 6 different coolants. Might be able to get it down to 2 or 3, but that’s a lot of waste too.

......I want to just stock a single coolant if at all possible.

Preface by saying I don't know your vehicles, though based on left overs it would seem at least one Honda and one Toyota. Both those makes use/spec Asian P(H)oat AFs. So if wanting to stick with one 'same type' AF for those, any of the less expensive (with sale or code) than OE Asian aftermarkets AF would work, eg., Valvoline/Zerex Asian, Peak OET Asian. As long as you don't mind not matching the OE tint for all vehicles, picking one like the blue (or pink/red) tint for both would work fine.

Beyond that, if open to using a universal" AF, the previously mentioned Peak 10X a good option imo. Like the PGL you have, it uses no 2eha like the Asian AFs with same attributes( no silicates, nitrite, borate, and amines). PGL an option, though now much harder to find, more expensive than 10X.

Last edited:
Here you go. It’s a ten year coolant as well. Www.prestone.com

6EAF9EA5-6673-4EA1-99E1-714E8D8DECD3.jpg

I run Dexcool in all my vehicles. Had to flush the Corolla real well before switching. The Avalon got an JDM engine swap & new radiator so I just had to flush the heater core.

The Corolla had a Pink antifreeze....There was some nasty/crusty BS that would form around the coolant reservoir that has gone away since the switch to Dexcool. YMMV

I'm not big on universal coolants.
Interesting, I was always under the impression to stay away from DEXCOOL. But I am not up to speed on all the coolant nuances.

The Prestone 10 year coolant is compatible with all other latest modern coolants, at least going by what I have read about it. If info contrary to that, I would be interested to read/watch it.

But even though it is compatible, if it mixes with certain other coolants, the lifespan goes from 10 years to 2 years for effectiveness. I switched both of my Toyota rigs to universal coolant Prestone 10 year with drain and fills. I am doing a drain and fill every 6 months for a couple of years, then letting it go for 5+ after that.

My reasoning is that yellow/green/chartreuse coolant looks the coolest :cool: , and it's nice to know any other type of coolant I can find in a gas station will not ruin my engine if mixed in, even if it does reduce the lifespan. I hate carrying coolant in the vehicles, so no totting Toyota specific stuff around with me.

Interesting, I was always under the impression to stay away from DEXCOOL. But I am not up to speed on all the coolant nuances.
That’s 30 year old crap that gets recirculated on the Internet. :rolleyes: I’ve been running Dexcool in my 2008 Suburban for 13 years. Changed it twice at 5 year intervals. Still has the original water pump, heater and radiator.

Last edited:
OP - what vehicles do you have? You mentioned toxicity. They are not toxic in the containers. Hopefully you don't have any little kids that might think its KoolAid and drink it.

Back