Uninterruptable Power Supply recommendations?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
My old APC 550 VA UPS is starting to beep randomly and has worked beyond what I expected from the battery. Instead of replacing the battery I want to upgrade to a larger capacity supply for more equipment that I am using.

I'm leaning towards the 1500 VA 900 watt "true sine wave" UPS below from Cyber Power ($180). I don't have much experience with them. Is Cyber Power a good brand or should I go with APC or another company?

I always used APC branded UPS’s…

I am using the “toaster box” style right now…
Lots of watt capacities, from 450 to 900…

Hint - Set the power sensitivity to “High”,

Voltage Sensitivity Adjustment (optional)
The Back-UPS detects and reacts to line voltage distortions by transferring to battery backup power to protect connected equipment. In situations where either the Back-UPS or the connected equipment is too sensitive for the input voltage level it is necessary to adjust the transfer voltage.
1. Turn off the UPS while connected to a wall outlet.
2. Press and hold the ON/OFF button for 10 seconds. The POWER button will alternate green-red to indicate that the Back-UPS is in Program mode.
3. The POWER button will flash either green, amber, or red to indicate the current sensitivity level. Refer to the table for an explanation of the transfer voltage sensitivity levels.
4. To exit Program mode wait five seconds and all LED indicators will extinguish.

(Amber flash is high sensitivity)

The old Best Ferrups units can be found pretty cheap used. Usually it's only a dead battery. Downside, they are bulky and heavier because they have a constant voltage transformer that stabilizes the power without constant switching to battery. I'm using an old FE850 right now.

The old Best Ferrups units can be found pretty cheap used. Usually it's only a dead battery. Downside, they are bulky and heavier because they have a constant voltage transformer that stabilizes the power without constant switching to battery. I'm using an old FE850 right now.
Those are great units.

I have had an HP T1500 G4 (rebranded Eaton UPS) for a couple of years now. I bought it used off of eBay with a new battery. It is a great unit.

Pretty quiet too.

I might look at one of those T1500s! I've been needing something for our house. I have a bunch of smaller ones but they just don't work for higher power computers and the camera system I'm going to be putting in soon

My old APC 550 VA UPS is starting to beep randomly and has worked beyond what I expected from the battery. Instead of replacing the battery I want to upgrade to a larger capacity supply for more equipment that I am using.

I'm leaning towards the 1500 VA 900 watt "true sine wave" UPS below from Cyber Power ($180). I don't have much experience with them. Is Cyber Power a good brand or should I go with APC or another company?

hey owen.. I have been using these from Cyber Power but they updated the units. I bought one and basically it smelled like burning plastic! I ended up returning it and replacing the battery in my older true sinewave unit. Maybe I had the problem unit not sure what was burning but that chemical smell it was giving off is not normal. I have used CyberPower for a long time never had an issue.. thought you'd like to know.

I get the $98 APC XS 1500 ones from the local Costco. They are quite good. I run my 77 inch 4K tv and DirecTV unit with them. Also my various computers. I have never found a need for full sine wave. Most items powered by a UPS have switching power supplies and do not need the full sine wave power. That's generally important for electric motors, the vast majority of other items do not need it.

Last edited:
Cyber power is the worst brand I have ever used.

APC or Tripplite for home use. I have a $250 trip lite and its worlds better than those little 550va units. Only thing is its loud.

It's the chipass caps that always seem to go wonky on my UPS's. Typically happens after 2nd or 3rd battery change, so probably got my money's worth. I fixed one and it's now my back-up to my back up for charging phones and such when power goes out. Too much hassle, so I just will replace next time.

APC isn’t what they used to be. CyberPower is just as reliable these days. Have used CP for years. Always pure sine wave units. Even modded one to work off a deep cycle car battery and it survived that.

I might look at one of those T1500s! I've been needing something for our house. I have a bunch of smaller ones but they just don't work for higher power computers and the camera system I'm going to be putting in soon
For the price they're a good unit. I run a 12th gen Dell PowerEdge (T320 with a 10-core Xeon and 16 2.5" 10K SAS drives). I have anywhere from 175 to 240 watt worth of a load and the screen on the UPS always says about 20-23% load and 35 minute runtime. Plenty. Plus being a rebadged Eaton, I'd have to think they're good.

I ended up returning it and replacing the battery in my older true sinewave unit. Maybe I had the problem unit not sure what was burning but that chemical smell it was giving off is not normal.
APC XS 1500 ones from the local Costco.
For the price they're a good unit. I run a 12th gen Dell PowerEdge (T320 with a 10-core Xeon and 16 2.5" 10K SAS drives). I have anywhere from 175 to 240 watt worth of a load and the screen on the UPS always says about 20-23% load and 35 minute runtime. Plenty. Plus being a rebadged Eaton, I'd have to think they're good.

Alright, Looks like APC is very sketchy as they have been using some type of yellow glue or insulator on their circuit boards (over BOTH the positive and negative contacts) that turns into a conductor as it dries up / degrades over the years. This appears to have been responsible for some of them catching fire and smoking. Hopefully it doesn't apply to all models.

@researcher This might be the cause for your burning smell. After reading this I can no longer trust Cyber Power!

I found this thread on Reddit after researching Cyber Power more:

I'm going to look into Tripp Lite and more powerful APC units for now.

Last edited:

Apart from a gaming computer, we don't have much that's too big of a load. But I'd like at least two of these to keep the gaming computer from getting fried and keep the POE / computer up during a power outage. Unfortunately, we have 3rd world power grid here in CNY and our power goes out nearly daily for a minute or two.

Apart from a gaming computer, we don't have much that's too big of a load. But I'd like at least two of these to keep the gaming computer from getting fried and keep the POE / computer up during a power outage. Unfortunately, we have 3rd world power grid here in CNY and our power goes out nearly daily for a minute or two.
Thats a good call. Definitely would work for those situations. We're pretty good with power over here in rural WNY/Erie County. I will say Nat Grid is better than NYSEG over here.

Alright, Looks like APC is very sketchy as they have been using some type of yellow glue or insulator on their circuit boards (over BOTH the positive and negative contacts) that turns into a conductor as it dries up / degrades over the years. This appears to have been responsible for some of them catching fire and smoking. Hopefully it doesn't apply to all models.

@researcher This might be the cause for your burning smell. After reading this I can no longer trust Cyber Power!

I found this thread on Reddit after researching Cyber Power more:

I'm going to look into Tripp Lite and more powerful APC units for now.

Wow Owen! So that's what I was smelling, it was definitely coming from the vents of the main unit. I gave up trying to get another unit, just swapped a new battery into my old one for now. I'm glad you brought this up, I'll need a new one eventually, good to get input now!

You know.. thinking about this, ever notice that on this forum it's one bad quality part (no matter what it is) lately.. Like a race to the bottom of the barrel!? Unreal...

EDIT: Watched the video at reddit.. yup same area I was smelling that chemical odor (burning plastic smell) and it was brand new! I'll definitely keep an eye on mine.. Oh and the new one that I returned was exactly the same model as the reddit video! CPS1500PFCLCD

Last edited:
You know.. thinking about this, ever notice that on this forum it's one bad quality part (no matter what it is) lately.. Like a race to the bottom of the barrel!? Unreal...
There needs to be some kind of recall on these, I guess it's not as easy as an automotive recall since I doubt everyone registers their product.

I had a Cyber Power UPS once. Might have gotten it around 2003? Once AC power stopped, I couldn't turn off the alarm (without turning off the output) and it was annoying. It wasn't configurable in any way. Apparently that's still the default, but newer versions have digital controls that allow the alarm to be turned off.

My APC 1000VA purchased in 2011 finally needed a new battery in 2023 . It cost $51 for APC battery with free recycle mail label .

It runs my modem/router/switch for 4-5 hours.

I would buy APC without a doubt.

Back