Advice on UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been thinking of buying a small-ish UPS with battery back up for my router + Modem, and perhaps another small item or two...

Doesn't need anything huge, and preferably around $100.
So many from APC and Cyberpower on amazon, but NONE of them are free from some horrible reviews; the bigger the units, more common the issues. And you cannot return these things to amazon like most other items; and have to contact the manufacturer for any returns, which is a painful process it seems, with buyer paying the shipping. When considering this, i think it's probably better to buy from a B/M store than online... despite limited choice at Best Buy, etc.

Eaton seem to make high quality stuff compared to APC and Cyberpower but consumer level stuff is hard to find unless one goes to a retailer and buys from them.

All I am looking for is a simple but RELIABLE UPS that has about 4-5 outlets with at least 2 of them with battery backup for at least 30 minutes or so.
One thing I do need is the functionality where it returns to running on AC when the power is restored, instead of continuing to operate on battery backup during an outage. (I'd think that's a normal function of a UPS, but some models on amazon apparently don't do that?)

I'd just like to hear from you guys who use a UPS:
what brands and models do you guys currently own and/or would recommend if buying a new one?
which features should I look for/or must consider essential?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by 97tbird
what brands and models do you guys currently own and/or would recommend if buying a new one?

Thanks in advance.

I've had this CyberPower one for over 4 years now:
http://a.co/d/eMGUmGn

It's got enough capacity to keep my router, modem, and home media server running for about 60 minutes or so. The battery in mine still seems to be OK, but figure on having to occasionally replace them - they don't last that long.

So I've been thinking of buying a small-ish UPS with battery back up for my router + Modem, and perhaps another small item or two...

Doesn't need anything huge, and preferably around $100.
So many from APC and Cyberpower on amazon, but NONE of them are free from some horrible reviews; the bigger the units, more common the issues. And you cannot return these things to amazon like most other items; and have to contact the manufacturer for any returns, which is a painful process it seems, with buyer paying the shipping. When considering this, i think it's probably better to buy from a B/M store than online... despite limited choice at Best Buy, etc.
Eaton seem to make high quality stuff compared to APC and Cyberpower but consumer level stuff is hard to find unless one goes to a retailer and buys from them.
All I am looking for is a simple but RELIABLE UPS that has about 4-5 outlets with at least 2 of them with battery backup for at least 30 minutes or so.
One thing I do need is the functionality where it returns to running on AC when the power is restored, instead of continuing to operate on battery backup during an outage. (I'd think that's a normal function of a UPS, but some models on amazon apparently don't do that?)
Thanks in advance.

I used to have them and have now switched to a plain surge protector for the simple reason that the replacement battery is 90% of the cost of a unit, so it practically compels you to buy a new unit. You can set up your computer to back up to a hard drive every so many minutes if this is not sufficient then you you are in their hands.

well, I can see the logic behind that, and although I don't have backups scheduled, i do them pretty often manually.
The thing with the backup UPS is, it would be kinda nice to have internet for an hour or so while the power is out...

do most UPS devices switch back to AC power and stop using the battery when power comes back on?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

I've had this CyberPower one for over 4 years now:
http://a.co/d/eMGUmGn

It's got enough capacity to keep my router, modem, and home media server running for about 60 minutes or so. The battery in mine still seems to be OK, but figure on having to occasionally replace them - they don't last that long.

Pete, Does the equipment you have connected to your UPS switch back to AC power and stop using the battery of the UPS when power comes back on? Is it seamless? Does modem/router ever need rebooting?

Pete, Does the equipment you have connected to your UPS switch back to AC power and stop using the battery of the UPS when power comes back on? Is it seamless? Does modem/router ever need rebooting?
Yup, it switches back to AC power when the AC power comes back on. I've never actually heard of a UPS that doesn't do that. That would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the "U" in UPS.

It is seamless. Modem/router does not need rebooting. It doesn't know that there was a power outage.

Quattro Pete said:

I know of no UPS that does not resume using AC power when the power comes back.

I have a Cyberpower CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Systems - Pure Sine Wave

Operation has been flawless. I wish it did more logging

Power your internet box, router , monitor and computer with the UPS. Power the VOIP box if you have one. Power the cordless phone base unless you have a handy wire phone. Do not power the printer with the UPS.

I also got a smaller unit for my DirecTV box.

I use Newegg for UPSs.

OK. Thanks guys. There was one review of a very small UPS (APC i think) that apparently did not do that.

As of now I don't own anything with a PFC power supply (smart TV ?? do they have those?), so I think I don't NEED a pure sine wave UPS, but they do seem nice.
That's the cyberpower unit that have some scary reviews on amazon RECENTLY - so perhaps they used to be good and QC went downhill? IDK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
That's the cyberpower unit that have some scary reviews on amazon RECENTLY

Which one?

Sorry - I initially meant the one that Carbon mentioned, CP1500PFCLCD - but now I see that the one you have also have some horrible reviews. (They all say "CP is not what it used to be" etc - same with APC)
I guess it's possible with any electronics that one gets a bad unit; but I'd like to be able to get a replacement quickly and no hassle with returns.

Costco has some in the price range you are looking.

I pick UPS's by weight. Heavy means it has 2 batteries, and therefore more capacity.

I've bought a few CP1500PFCLCD in the past; don't know how they are today.
The consumer stuff nowadays will run for about 7 minutes at what the retail box rated output says.

30 minutes? To me that's pushing it unless you're running a low-power load.

IMO, if you want 60 minutes you should be running a genset, or an expensive battery-powered inverter like a Kohler enCUBE (which won't auto-switch, as it's more like a genset).

Also see a CPAP generator.

I have a faultless APC 1000 from 7 years ago poorly reviewed too. Provides about 6 hrs of backup for my VOIP Ooma, network switch and router, and cable modem.

Spend the extra $10-$15 on short pig tails so you can plug adapters in easily.

Anyone know anything about Eaton UPS units? Not much info out there but seems they're highly regarded by bigger networking companies...
Seems I have a retailer nearby.

The APC Smart Ups 1400 unit I have is about 15 years old- datacenter quality rack mount unit. I have to replace batteries in it every 5 years, and it can run my massive PC, router etc for about 60 minutes.
I see them pop up on eBay now and then for around $75 , without batteries, and cheap batteries are another $50. It is not small though It has no provision for protecting network drops, but I think that is not needed.

This is identical to what I have. I picked mine up 15 years ago, and have a 2nd that I got 2-3 years also without batteries for $50 plus shipping. This might be far out of your price range though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-SmartUPS-1400va-UPS-120v-DL1400RM3U-No-Batteries/232845298065?epid=129637142&hash=item3636a94991:g:IRYAAOSwWLlbRmj5:rk:31:pf:0

I am not familiar with Eaton brand UPS- everything I used in datacenters was APC or Liebert . Eaton has a good name in most things electrical. If you get a used UPS that requires multiple batteries, make sure it comes with the battery harness specific for that model or you will be frustrated trying to properly connect it.

avoid anything oem by must power.
thats most china stuff.they not only are unreliable and short lived but have the worst output waveforms i have ever seen.
i have several old best power 12v units and 3 apc 12v.
the old best power have a near perfect sine output and runs stuff well in excess of its rating.
its the only 850va unit i have seen that is 12v
the 700va apc(metal case) is stepped square.
all these have fans i installed that turn on in inverter mode and have big outboard batteries.
general rule on ups units is plastic case=junk.
here is a collection of info from a friend of mine in the badcaps forums.
http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/database-of-ups-output-waveforms/

We have an APC BN 575G strictly for backup power for our modem and router, nothing more.

Only problem is we never lose power *L* darn it!
Once or twice for short periods and it was kind of cool being able to use our laptops with no power.

The one we have I would suggest would be the minimum for our use. How much you spend really depends on how long you want power back up. Im guessing, never bothered to calculate it, that ours would run a few hours with the light load of those 2 devices. Only reason I bought it was SAMS club impluse buy maybe 2 years ago.
I would definitely purchase something more robust if power outages were more frequent and long lasting.

My favorite brands (in this order) for this kind of stuff surge ect, Tripplight, APC and then maybe Cyberpower

[/u]

Thanks in advance.

30mins? how many watt load.

my 140watt load is estimated to last 26min on my apc xs1300

A high end router and cable modem could easily be 40+watts just for those.

bonus features-
pure sine wave,
automatic voltage regulation (AVR)- so it can trim or boost line voltage without changing to battery.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Battery-Protector-BR1500G/dp/B0779KYKLB/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1540666536&sr=8-15&keywords=backups%2B1300&th=1

cyberpower makes an 850va model pure sine wave that goes on sale for around $100 frequently.

its currently $130
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._-na&Item=N82E16842102131&cm_sp=

....So many from APC and Cyberpower on amazon, but NONE of them are free from some horrible reviews; the bigger the units, more common the issues. And you cannot return these things to amazon like most other items; and have to contact the manufacturer for any returns, which is a painful process it seems, with buyer paying the shipping. ...

I have recently been shopping for a 1000VA sine wave UPS at Amazon, and did see some scary reviews about CyberPower units starting on fire:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00429N19...g=wtbs_5e24e8b38ee94c368f5b681b&th=1

So I looked at some units from APC, and this one looked good:
https://www.amazon.com/APC-Sinewave-Battery-Protector-BR1000MS/dp/B0779KYKLB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3FWRE7SKVHXRR&keywords=apc+br1000ms+1000va+pure+sine+wave&qid=1579478408&sprefix=APC+BR1000MS%2Caps%2C228&sr=8-3

I did not see any comments about fires with the APC unit, only about excessive noise when operating on 115VAC. But the noise issue has been eliminated in the most recent production runs.

Some reviewers are recommending that the UPS be plugged into a high quality surge protector, but APC advises against attaching a surge protector to either the inlet or outlet of the UPS.
https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158852/

Plugging a surge protector into your UPS:
The noise filtration circuitry in a Surge Protector can effectively "mask" some of the load from the UPS, causing the UPS to report a lower percentage of attached load than there actually is. This can cause a user to inadvertently overload their UPS. When the UPS switches to battery, it may be unable to support the equipment attached, causing a dropped load.

Surge protectors filter the power for surges and offer EMI/RFI filtering but do not efficiently distribute the power, meaning that some equipment may be deprived of the necessary amperage it requires to run properly causing your attached equipment (computer, monitor, etc) to shutdown or reboot. If you need to supply additional receptacles on the output of your UPS, we recommend using Power Distribution Units (PDU's). PDUs evenly distribute the amperage among the outlets, while the UPS will filter the power and provide surge protection. PDUs use and distribute the available amperage more efficiently, allowing your equipment to receive the best available power to maintain operation.

Plugging your UPS into a surge protector:
In order for your UPS to get the best power available, you should plug your UPS directly into the wall receptacle. Plugging your UPS into a surge protector may cause the UPS to go to battery often when it normally should remain online. This is because other, more powerful equipment may draw necessary voltage away from the UPS which it requires to remain online. In addition, it may compromise the ground connection which the UPS needs in order to provide adequate surge protection. All APC Back-UPS and Smart-UPS products provide proper surge suppression for power lines without the need of additional protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back