Unfortunate "coincidence" ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 2 weeks ago a replaced my front and rear differential fluids with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90. Now my left front seal on the differential is leaking pretty bad. There were no signs of a leak prior, but know it is spraying. I am going to put Amsoil back in after I replace the seal on Monday, and hopefully I won't have any more "coincidences".

2005 Chevy Trailblazer I6 with 48,000 miles

Last edited:
If it is the seal right where the axle bolts into the diff pumpkin then it is the seal not the oil. I had a 2002 Suburban which had the same issue at about 30k. Fixed by warranty but the dealer mechanic that I have known many years said that seal is a weak spot on GM 4x4's and they replace lots of them. Keep an eye on the other side.

Last edited:
Consider yourself fortunate you caught it before the diff went south from oil starvation. I never saw mine but the dealer found it doing an oil service.

Funny my 98 jeep rear axle seals were starting to leak, After adding Amsoil they stopped!

ester base oils help seals to fill the gap by swelling.
don't know how much if any is in SG but sure am sold on the quality of SG in hvy towing apps.

haven't had a seal problem with SG in 200k miles

not sold on the ROI of Amsoil motor oils in standard use apps even on extende drains but am totally sold on SG.

diff cases run cooler with Amsoil, must be indicative of something
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back