Unemployment up

Status
Not open for further replies.
13.gif

Your point? I still don't see where you were so upset at the little insignificant hump in the past 8 years. Now that the proverbial "stuff" has hit the fan . ..the scam met it's Beowulf ..and the aftermath is being assessed, that now this is somehow indicative of current activities.

Do you remember the infamous words "(K)NO(W) NEW TAXES"? Let me remind you how they came about. It wasn't due to that person's activities ..it was from the happy dance foolishness of his predecessor. Jut the effects fell in his lap.

Good call. Thanks for bringing the extended effects to light. Now we can have fonder memories of how we were taken to the cleaners.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
A long time ago (1980) I finished my intensive schooling in engineering, only to find that there was no work for me. Unemployment was worse than it is today. I couldn't qualify for unemployment benefits because you first need to have had a job to get laid off. Nobody ever asked ME if I had a job. I always wondered who else fell through the cracks in these numbers.

Yeah, most of my Electrical/Computer Engineering class that graduated in 2002 is *still* unemployed, after all these years. When the economy 'recovered' in 2003-2004, the only people hired back by the tech industry were veterans. Its a real travesty out there how college grads, especially engineers, have been treated by this economy.

Engineers, especially, because our future standard of living absolutely and completely relies upon our ability to integrate them into the job market so they can use their talents to come up with goods and services that are saleable and exportable. With so many sitting around unemployed, its no wonder the economy is collapsing right before our eyes!

One fix would be get rid of NAFTA thanks to our former dumb president Bill Clinton signing it sending our jobs overseas.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
One fix would be get rid of NAFTA thanks to our former dumb president Bill Clinton signing it sending our jobs overseas.

Mexico and Canada are overseas?
my dittohead radar is going off.

I don't think NAFTA worked out the way they thought it would. I think that Wall St. thought that we'd develop our own hemisphere's slave labor force that many developing Asian nations have. Highly adaptable and motivated. This did not prove to be the case in Mexico by most indications.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1

Long term, a free market with no barriers to trade is the best.

Protectionism does not work.

I keep seeing this phrase passed around. I know it will never be tested. Protectionism can never work here ..but it sure has benefited others when waging trade wars against us.

You do prove the essentials of the NWO being seated in Wall St. Wall St. would love a world without borders ..no treaties ..no tariffs ..no nations ..just one seamless commercial zone.

They don't care who makes it ..sells or buys it. They merely sponsor and broker the competition.

They're bookies and they really could care less who wins or loses.

Protectionism has its liabilities, but protecting one's standard of living doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have open markets ..just managed trade. So much trade out the door ..so much trade in the door.

Open markets is a misnomer for "free for all grab bag". I'll sell you anything in "trade" ..but I'm not going to trade you my standard of living for trinkets and beads.

That is "zactly what has happened. Cheap [censored] built in foreign sweatshops driving domestics out of business. Fine and dandy for the stockholders, rough on the help kicked to the curb. Fast forward a decade or 3, too many curbees, too poor to buy the [censored].
And pluh-leeze dont hand me that line about re-training will put you back into the job mkt. By the time you get trained, the the jobs are already filled.
NWO is just code for the Britan-ization of America.

Go ahead and put in place barriers to free trade and you will see the cost of goods go up and your standard of living go down.

The next thing you will see is other countries take retaliatory action which will be a "lose/lose" situation that will reduce your exports.

In the 1930s, the US adopted the protectionist Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act which raised tarif rates to all time highs beyond the Lincoln levels, which many economists believe exacerbated the Great Depression. Europe, which had less protectionism at the time, had largely come out of the depression while the US remained mired in the depression

Yes, mva ..but you're (AGAIN) offering either getting boned in a preferred manner for some ..as opposed to an assured boning for ALL OF US.

Jim Rogers said the same thing while Japan was hammering us relentlessly. "No one wins a trade war". This is true of ALL WARS ..be they military or economic ..which ends up being the same thing. Only the theater changes. The combatants are still made up of the same mutts ..and they ARE the casualties. In any war there are only those left less bloodied. In all cases it appears that only us mutts are getting culled.

So, is there a reason why I should support Wall St. & Co. to advance and make MORE ..while I'm asked to take the incidental side effects of a poorer population, increased costs, and collapsing of services?

What can someone like myself do except give you the proposition of "Hey, pal, if your sending me to the minors ..I'm taking YOU with me!"

The notion that are costs will go higher is realistic ..but I suggest that feeding the nobles and the financiers hasn't stopped that from occurring.

I'd also offer that you're falling into the rhetorical mythical trap of "if you ain't wid us, yer agin us" 180 degree polarity foolishness.

I don't think that you need be protectionist to "regulate" the drain on your currency.

Now if you want to just suckerpunch your population ..jerk them up down ..left and right ..all for your share of more green paper ..then you're on the proper path to enslaving them to your trickle down dribbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back