Unemployment fraud

I'm trying to recall where I would have used my SSN in the past 3 years and the only places I could think of is work and I think when buying my car.
Any friends, siblings, contractors in recently? Drug addiction is often a powerful motivator for people you'd never expect to steal stuff...

LOL when I enlisted in the Army, they literally put your SSN on the side of your duffel bag, the one you walked through an airport with! We used it in lieu of the "service number" of years past. We should have a giant lawsuit at this point that eclipses the Camp Lejune thing...

I got called down to the payroll office a few years ago regarding this exact same thing. The only way anybody is going to get any unemployment funds is if the company you used to work for doesn't catch this and just pays it. If they're paying any attention at all, the payroll department is where it dies. It's a good idea to keep an eye on your credit anyway, so I think you're ok. Your absolute last resort would be applying for a new social security number, because that sounds like a great big headache at retirement, or a way to get screwed out of benefits due to clerical error.
I'm a smaller business with 26 employees but yeah every single unemployment and PFML claim comes across my desk/computer and it would be really obvious if it was fraudulent.

Any friends, siblings, contractors in recently? Drug addiction is often a powerful motivator for people you'd never expect to steal stuff...

Nope, nobody new in the company that would have access to my SSN. I don't believe anybody in my family knows or has access to my SSN either. Oddly we did lay off one person the same day the UE request was done which made me think it was a clerical error on my company's end.

When unemployment is high you usually see this fraud as the system is overwhelmed and companies are going out of business. In times like this, the fraudsters are rarely successful and fraudulent claims are easily uncovered.

Any loan or service such as insurance requires SSN
At a car dealer if paying cash SSN maybe needed too. I never thought about it but out of state purchases would be required for proper application of state sales tax
Yeah, any transaction over $10k needs a form filled out to prevent terrorist money laundering. IIRC, a Patriot Act thing.

Back