understanding beta ratio.

I'm trying to figure out the best filter to use out of 3 different ones as they all seem to fit my application. the problem I am having is understanding the beta ratios because they are not worded the same.
The filters are Fleetguard HF35503, HF30730, and Donaldson P566400. On one of the Fleetguards it says TWA MICRON @ different BETA numbers where the other one just says Particle size at different BETA numbers. Do these mean the same thing but are just worded differently, to where I should just use the one that has the smallest micron number matched up with the same BETA number, or is there a difference? The Donaldson just says EFFICIENCY BETA 1000. I know these are hydraulic filters but figured the information would apply the same as if they were engine oil filters. If someone could help explain this I would appreciate it!

manufacturers HIDE much information or will NOT give any!! search machinerylubrication?beta ratio for more info. like foods + drugs the real truth is hard to find as big $$$$ gets laws aka lobbying allowing hiding what they do NOT want you to know!!

manufacturers HIDE much information or will NOT give any!! search machinerylubrication?beta ratio for more info. like foods + drugs the real truth is hard to find as big $$$$ gets laws aka lobbying allowing hiding what they do NOT want you to know!!
Wow, all the way around from oil filters to the food and drugs 'They' don't want you to know about!

I did find some info talking about it but still it doesn't totally make sense to me.

I'm trying to figure out the best filter to use out of 3 different ones as they all seem to fit my application. the problem I am having is understanding the beta ratios because they are not worded the same.
The filters are Fleetguard HF35503, HF30730, and Donaldson P566400. On one of the Fleetguards it says TWA MICRON @ different BETA numbers where the other one just says Particle size at different BETA numbers. Do these mean the same thing but are just worded differently, to where I should just use the one that has the smallest micron number matched up with the same BETA number, or is there a difference? The Donaldson just says EFFICIENCY BETA 1000. I know these are hydraulic filters but figured the information would apply the same as if they were engine oil filters. If someone could help explain this I would appreciate it!
Here's a chart I made some time ago showing the relationship between "beta ratio" and efficiency. Beta 1000 for instance means 99.90% efficiency. So what you want to see is the highest efficiency (ie, "beta ratio) with the smallest micron size.

The only wrinkle is that WIX uses their own beta ratio format to describe their filter efficiency. That's been discussed many times over the years.

1642975822828.png

Last edited:
It's the very same math relationship as for sunscreen ratings. Just as SPF 50, for example, theoretically blocks 98% of bad rays (i.e., lets the remaining 2% through) under standard test conditions, Beta 50 stops 98% of the particles in question (and lets 2% through). All because 2% is the inverse of 50.

It's the very same math relationship as for sunscreen ratings. Just as SPF 50, for example, theoretically blocks 98% of bad rays (i.e., lets the remaining 2% through) under standard test conditions, Beta 50 stops 98% of the particles in question (and lets 2% through). All because 2% is the inverse of 50.
Yep, an easy way to think about it would be:

Beta 50 means "1 in 50" get through, so that's 98% efficient (49 captured/50 = 98%).

Beta 100 means "1 in 100" gets through, so 99% efficient (99 captured/100 = 99%).

Beta 1000 means "1 in 1000" gets through, so 99.9% efficient (999 captured/1000 = 99.9%).

Here's a chart I made some time ago showing the relationship between "beta ratio" and efficiency. Beta 1000 for instance means 99.90% efficiency. So what you want to see is the highest efficiency (ie, "beta ratio) with the smallest micron size.

The only wrinkle is that WIX uses their own beta ratio format to describe their filter efficiency. That's been discussed many times over the years.

View attachment 85766
Thanks! When it says "TWA micron", does that mean the same as when it says "particle size"?

So the way I understand it, it’s basically an average of several different tests. So I assume if doesn’t say TWA, that it is just the result of 1 test instead of an average of several tests, right?
From the Cummings PDF, it's related to the test mythology. It's the average of all the readings over a 10 minute period for a specific particle size. I wouldn't worry about that. Just look at the efficiency at each particle size given by the manufacturer.

Capture+_2022-01-23-20-50-13-1.jpg

From the Cummings PDF, it's related to the test mythology. It's the average of all the readings over a 10 minute period for a specific particle size. I wouldn't worry about that. Just look at the efficiency at each particle size given by the manufacturer.

View attachment 85849
Okay, well if I am understanding this all correctly it looks like the Donaldson would be quite a bit better since it’s beta 1000 micron rating is almost as low as one of the other filter’s beta 200 micron rating and actually lower than the other one’s beta 200 micron rating. Seems like quite a bit of a difference it I guess it’s possible.

The highest beta ratio at the lowest micron size will be the most efficient filter. The difference between beta 200 and beta 1000 at the same micron size is getting into hair splitting territory.

The highest beta ratio at the lowest micron size will be the most efficient filter. The difference between beta 200 and beta 1000 at the same micron size is getting into hair splitting territory.
Geesh, just when I thought I knew for sure which one was the better filter, you go and say that. 😂

View attachment 85766
And THIS is why I tagged you, lol!

That's a great chart, super simple, thanks for sharing it.

And thanks for taking the time to help, I appreciate it.

Back