under warranty told no,then recall notice-Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ford Fusions have an issue with the automatic console shifters interlock, many people on the forums have issues and the interlock replaced, some still under warranty, probably one of the reasons the last Gen went to a rotary knob on the console. A few weeks ago I took the Fusion in for a warranty issue before the 3/36 ran out. I mentioned we were having problems with the interlock and they said they would take a look. I did this in hopes of having it replaced instead of having problems on my dime. When I got the car back they said they took it apart and it seemed to be in working order, no repair needed. The advisor even mentioned they never have problems and it must have been the wheels were turned sharp or something because he has never hear of such an issue with the interlock. Before I dropped it off I put a mark on the seam on the console and I know the console was not touched. Yesterday I received in the mail a recall notice about the interlock and I would be notified when a fix to the issue is available.
I suppose I cant be too upset because Im not actually having problems with the interlock. My issue is they know its a safety issue and dident even look at it, lied to me and sent me on my way. Then a couple weeks later a recall notice comes in the mail (06/04/2019) for the exact issue. Kinda reminds me when I brought the Cobalt in for the ignition key issue, they said "oh thats odd, probably from all those keys hanging from your key ring, never seen that before", meanwhile lawyers are drooling for a class action.

Were you actually having problems with your shift interlock and had it malfunctioned?

So your shifter was working fine, they confirmed this, and there's a problem ? Sure, they said they "took it apart" so that part is wrong of them.... If you have to mark things in order to catch them, why do you go to this shop ? You clearly don't trust them.

So to confirm, I never had a problem. A problem in the future is very likely since the interlock commonly causes serious problems, serious enough for Ford to send me a recall notice yesterday. Was being proactive here. The part is very easy to replace and figured the tech would just R&R and grab some additional time while its in there. What surprised me is they really dident even try to look at it confirmed by myself marking the panels. Not really a big deal, like I said its working at this point, just lying about it kinda bothered me, then yesterday a recall notice comes which guarantees another trip back to the dealer once a fix is ready. Guess Im just venting folks. I remember back in the day taking a vehicle in for warranty issues and the techs come back with a list of stuff they replaced, and knowing good and well its just so they make more time on the vehicle being in their bay.

Their hourly rate for recall work is probably higher than the rate they get for warranty work. Plus, they have to "document" why it should be covered under warranty, don't they ? They knew this recall was coming too.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Their hourly rate for recall work is probably higher than the rate they get for warranty work. Plus, they have to "document" why it should be covered under warranty, don't they ? They knew this recall was coming too.

Funny you say "they knew it was coming". When I brought the car home the wife asked "what did they do"? I told her... the fuel door is fixed and surprisingly I got the lug nuts replaced but they dident do anything about the interlock, we will probably get a recall notice in the next 18 months so Im not worried about it. Sure enough yesterday laughing at the envelope the wife asked what was so funny in todays mail, I said recall notice about the interlock.

yeah, your right, they knew it was coming.

So you didn't have a problem but wanted the Ford techs to spend the time to take apart your console just to see if anything might be wrong?

Originally Posted by PimTac
So you didn't have a problem but wanted the Ford techs to spend the time to take apart your console just to see if anything might be wrong?

This is what I understand also.

What are the symptoms of a malfunctioning interlock on those vehicles?

Does the column need to be disassembled to identify whether or not the system is having the problem?

I suspect the tech tried to verify whether or not the problem was present, was not, and so he didn't bother removing anything to check further.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Recalls pay the same labor rate as any warranty job. Usually the hours you can bill are less on a recall. For example we have been replacing Mazda 3 dashboards for warping. Under the recall it pays 1.7 hours to do the whole job.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
The Ford Fusions have an issue with the automatic console shifters interlock, many people on the forums have issues and the interlock replaced, some still under warranty, probably one of the reasons the last Gen went to a rotary knob on the console. A few weeks ago I took the Fusion in for a warranty issue before the 3/36 ran out. I mentioned we were having problems with the interlock and they said they would take a look. I did this in hopes of having it replaced instead of having problems on my dime. When I got the car back they said they took it apart and it seemed to be in working order, no repair needed. The advisor even mentioned they never have problems and it must have been the wheels were turned sharp or something because he has never hear of such an issue with the interlock. Before I dropped it off I put a mark on the seam on the console and I know the console was not touched. Yesterday I received in the mail a recall notice about the interlock and I would be notified when a fix to the issue is available.
I suppose I cant be too upset because Im not actually having problems with the interlock. My issue is they know its a safety issue and dident even look at it, lied to me and sent me on my way. Then a couple weeks later a recall notice comes in the mail (06/04/2019) for the exact issue. Kinda reminds me when I brought the Cobalt in for the ignition key issue, they said "oh thats odd, probably from all those keys hanging from your key ring, never seen that before", meanwhile lawyers are drooling for a class action.

I can only imagine the smile on your face when you take it in and tell them you want the recall done. And the look on the face of the advisor when you add, "And make sure your guy actually takes off the console this time, because last time he didn't."

@1978elcamino

The reason they waited (NO the $tealership should NEVER have lied) is because the re-engineered replacement parts were the only authorized parts approved to solve the problem that is why the recalls like this are often delayed quite a bit. It takes time to redesign and re-engineer these parts and then produce them in limited quantities and ship.

As for Ford stores...it's 1000% true that most of them are incompetent, crooked, or both. It's RARE to find a good one anywhere in the USA anyway.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
What are the symptoms of a malfunctioning interlock on those vehicles?

Does the column need to be disassembled to identify whether or not the system is having the problem?

I suspect the tech tried to verify whether or not the problem was present, was not, and so he didn't bother removing anything to check further.

This.

I don't like Ford (dealers) because of a different issue. My 2011 Fusion had just passed the 80k emissions warranty (yet only just over 4 years old) and the car threw a code for the purge valve that's up near the throttle body. Dealer charged $252 to replace including part. Less than 2 months later, I get a letter in the mail telling me there was a recall on it. Called dealer to see if I could get my money back since it was a recall. They said nope, they couldn't help me. I've not yet set foot back in a Ford dealer and have no plans to, ever.

just like hardly motorcycles, they all do that or thats normal or we never seen or heard of that before!!!! seems almost all are quite dishonest if its gonna cost them $$$. old saying "if you can't dazzle them with diamonds, baffle them with bull poof!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I don't like Ford (dealers) because of a different issue. My 2011 Fusion had just passed the 80k emissions warranty (yet only just over 4 years old) and the car threw a code for the purge valve that's up near the throttle body. Dealer charged $252 to replace including part. Less than 2 months later, I get a letter in the mail telling me there was a recall on it. Called dealer to see if I could get my money back since it was a recall. They said nope, they couldn't help me. I've not yet set foot back in a Ford dealer and have no plans to, ever.

Did you read the recall letter ? I mean, the part that says "if you've already had this repair done, send us documentation and we'll reimburse you" ? It's Ford that reimburses you, not individual dealers.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Recalls pay the same labor rate as any warranty job. Usually the hours you can bill are less on a recall. For example we have been replacing Mazda 3 dashboards for warping. Under the recall it pays 1.7 hours to do the whole job.

Sorry, yes, the amount of time that they (Ford) pays for is a factor. One nearby Ford dealer had no interest in doing the door latch recall about a year ago. Came up with endless excuses from "wait for the letter" - which I had in my hand !! - to "the parts aren't available" - uh, wait, the letter says "parts are available". I even called their parts department and the guy said they had plenty. I took it to a different dealer after this....

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by PimTac

This is what I understand also.

Known problem, easy to replace, its already in the bay, easy ten minute job to add on to replacing lug nuts and fuel door hinge under warranty. So yes, simple easy additional flat rate time for a tech. No big deal, just another trip back that could be avoided. Again, its not actually broken so I cant be too upset at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back