Under the valve cover - '09 Acura CSX 107k

Interesting vtec system. It disables 1 intake valve per cylinder for better fuel economy, and no vtec in the exhaust cam. It's good to see there is no scoring on cam lobes, just a little discoloration.
Looks pristine in there - except for wear marks on cam lobes you would think it was new. :).

Also just a possible slight correction - I believe you have VTEC-E which cracks open the 2nd valve slightly to promote swirl. I want to say VTEC-E came out around maybe 6th gen Civic HX then expanded to the 7th gen Civic EX 1.7L.

Looks very clean for 107k. On Gen 8's with the 1.8L you can remove the valve cover without removing the cowl. You have to remove the rear bolts, fuel injector connectors and a few other items by feel. It is definitely doable though. I have never worked on a 2.0L in that generation so I am not sure if the same would apply.
Unfortunately you have to remove the cowl with the 2.0L, this is actually my second 8th gen with 2.0L engine, I previously owned 2008 Civic SI, and it had the same problem. The cylinder head-coils-plugs are all placed right under the windshield. Maybe you can remove the nuts and bolts, but can't take off the ignition plugs or valve cover. Once you get used to it, it is not a big deal though. It took me like 15-20 mins to remove it.

R18 engines are much more convenient in terms of accessibility to the cylinder head components.

Looks pristine in there - except for wear marks on cam lobes you would think it was new. :).

Also just a possible slight correction - I believe you have VTEC-E which cracks open the 2nd valve slightly to promote swirl. I want to say VTEC-E came out around maybe 6th gen Civic HX then expanded to the 7th gen Civic EX 1.7L.
Yeah, it is not fun. There is no VTEC kick at all :) but it is very good on gas, especially if you cruise around 70-75 on the highway.

Hi folks
Today i was replaced valve cover gasket on my Honda Civic.
How can i clean this brown sh*t ,and whether it affects engine performance?
It has 300.000 km on the dashboard.
I want to clean it to see how the oil would behave with shorter replacement intervals.
It's usually drive on dyno or synthetic blend.
Does full synthetic oil with short OCI will do the job?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210515_140044.jpg
    MVIMG_20210515_140044.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Unfortunately the car got totaled last week (not finalized but I doubt they'll repair it). My wife was driving it, and she is okay with some bruises on left upper body. We are expecting so she was really scared, but thankfully the baby is also okay.

Other driver (17 yr old young lady) was 100% at fault as she didn't yield at the stop sign, and she got charged for careless driving. I hope she won't be allowed to drive for the next few years, roads will be much safer without her.

Here is the dashcam footage (easier than explaining how it happened), if you don't have a dashcam yet, GET ONE. It'll make your life so much easier, otherwise it will be your word against their word.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u5k623gccakas3/2021_0722_190750_312.wmv?dl=0

Photo 2021-07-22, 20 37 19.jpg
Photo 2021-07-22, 20 38 01.jpg

And drive safe, so many dumb drivers are on the road.

Last edited:
I can see the car was up on two wheels. Wow! You wife has mad driving skills, kudos to her!

Many people would "fight" against it, it looks like she did not. Again, kudos.

Last edited:
Glad no one was hurt. I have a feeling they're going to total it.
Thanks

It's most likely totaled though no verbal/written confirmation yet, the car is worth maybe $8-10k CDN, curtain and side airbags are deployed, and there is a significant structural damage on A and B pillars. Driver's seat is squished between the door panel and center console, there is no gap at all. Also the windshield is cracked, and roof is slightly bent (it's visible when you get closer).

Thanks

It's most likely totaled though no verbal/written confirmation yet, the car is worth maybe $8-10k CDN, curtain and side airbags are deployed, and there is a significant structural damage on A and B pillars. Driver's seat is squished between the door panel and center console, there is no gap at all. Also the windshield is cracked, and roof is slightly bent (it's visible when you get closer).
Sorry to hear that. Once airbags deploy the money adds up fast.

That’s definitely totaled. My friends dad and grandpa own a body shop and anytime the airbags deploy it is almost always totaled and as much damage as that has it probably is anyway. That didn’t look like a fast hit but I guess it was. The other driver didn’t appear to be going fast but still not avoidable.

Wow! I'm glad that your Wife and the baby are ok. Fixing or losing a car is a lot easier than fixing or losing someone. It's a shame that this happened over someone's carelessness.

Sorry to hear that. Once airbags deploy the money adds up fast.

I know a airbag in my Fusion would have cost $2,500. Right drivers side. It probably should have gone off when I hit that big deer going 64 mph on Rte 5. It didn't. However I saw the airbag light illuminated and I knew that the airbag was screwed up.

Back