Ultra severe usage pattern OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: earlyre
you want severe? My commute is Severe.
I live 4.5 mi from work.

Wife has a 3 mi commute. During winter, coolant temp doesn't even come up to normal, much less oil temp.

Originally Posted By: Quest
short-trip does not equate to ultra severe OCI pattern, IMO.

Granted: it's an OBD-II fuel injected type of vehicle, the biggest concern should still be (fundamentally speaking, applicable to not just EFI/MFI, but also carb'ed cars in the days of yore), it's the condensation (moisture) and unburned fuel in oil that is of concern.

Granted: the automobile can be taken out on a weekend highway drive (30mins to 1hr or more), then the moisture and fuel inside the oil can be rid of somewhat, and that helps immensely.

Q.

p.s. for utilitarian types of mass-produced automobiles, I still stand firm in the believe of using conventional oil for the best performance/cost ratio in this case, citing the rather frequent need of OCI to rid of moisture and unburned fuel (mixed into the oil). boutique oil doesn't serve any purpose other than burning a bigger hole in your wallet in this case (IMO, I bet lots of fans will come along and claim otherwise)

If you have the time to get out and run the vehicle for that amount of time to burn off fuel dilution and then monitor with an UOA.

Cheaper to just change the oil and filter and skip the UOA IMO.

What the OP is proposing is plausible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Quest
short-trip does not equate to ultra severe OCI pattern, IMO.

Granted: it's an OBD-II fuel injected type of vehicle, the biggest concern should still be (fundamentally speaking, applicable to not just EFI/MFI, but also carb'ed cars in the days of yore), it's the condensation (moisture) and unburned fuel in oil that is of concern.

Granted: the automobile can be taken out on a weekend highway drive (30mins to 1hr or more), then the moisture and fuel inside the oil can be rid of somewhat, and that helps immensely.

Q.

p.s. for utilitarian types of mass-produced automobiles, I still stand firm in the believe of using conventional oil for the best performance/cost ratio in this case, citing the rather frequent need of OCI to rid of moisture and unburned fuel (mixed into the oil). boutique oil doesn't serve any purpose other than burning a bigger hole in your wallet in this case (IMO, I bet lots of fans will come along and claim otherwise)

Makes sense. Conventional costs less do shorten the interval thus contaminants are flushed out sooner so less possibility for acid issues.
Does make sense. Other than the cold starts with conventional,not that that in itself is a significant deal.

Good advice. Takes into consideration the big picture.

+2
It is also the rage in the world of d.i. injection (direct injection=ultra severe). 'Do I short OCi on conventional to clear out the diluted, soot contaminated oil?' Or 'Run a longer oci on synthetic because dilution is better dealt with by the syns additives.' On and on...and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back