Ultimate Polish Open Time

Have used this product many times over the years and never had this problem. Polish dries very fast. Gave up trying to use my DA. Had to hand apply very small sections and it was still hard to remove. Seems like it was drying on contact. Has Meguiar’s changed formula or did I get a bottle of off-spec material? Thanks.

You using microfiber or terry cloth to take it off. I've found with the MG Ultimate I use that terry cloth won't do the job, you've got to use microfiber.

Yes, Meguiars best microfiber but nothing takes it off once it starts to dry. You have to repolish to remove it. No question, this product is vastly different from previous stuff...either on purpose or by manufacturing error. I tried some older stuff I had and it performed completely differently.

Will try and let you know how it works. I wonder though, since the product is water based, won’t mineral oil make a messy emulsion?
Water may be a primary component but is not the sole component. Most polished should be shaken vigorously before use due to the potential for separation.

Water may be a primary component but is not the sole component. Most polished should be shaken vigorously before use due to the potential for separation.

Yep, I shake Ultimate Polish til my arm falls off. Interestingly, I found just the opposite with my new bottle of Ultimate Liquid Wax. It pours out of the bottle like water. Very different from previous formulations. It also has a color now whereas it used to be white.

I would also note that Meguiars clay has taken a turn for the worse. Think I will try 3M or Griots.

Have been a loyal Meguiars customer for nearly 30 years but don’t think I will be buying anymore of their stuff.

Last edited:
Yep, I shake Ultimate Polish til my arm falls off. Interestingly, I found just the opposite with my new bottle of Ultimate Liquid Wax. It pours out of the bottle like water. Very different from previous formulations. It also has a color now whereas it used to be white.

I would also note that Meguiars clay has taken a turn for the worse. Think I will try 3M or Griots.

Have been a loyal Meguiars customer for nearly 30 years but don’t think I will be buying anymore of their stuff.
Call their Customer Care hotline, I'm sure they'll be glad to replace the product.

If you add a few small nuts (M6-M8 size) to the bottle, it helps tremendously with stirring up the abrasives in polish.

Meguiars does not take calls due to covid but they do respond promptly to emails. This Ultimate Polish is one of two complimentary bottles Meguiars sent me after I complained about their wheel cleaner. BTW, my recent complaint about their wheel cleaner was the first and only complaint I made to Meguiars in the almost 30 years I have been using their products. The last bottles of Ultimate Polish and Liquid Wax were purchased from my local Walmart.

I doctored with water and mineral oil. Quite a bit more than a few drops of each in a half bottle. Loosened her up quite a bit. Just did a small area by hand and it seemed much better.

Spritzing the pad with some water or quick detailer before polishing with the UP might help.

It doesn’t take much, just one quick squeeze of the spray bottle on the pad followed by the standard amount (2 pea-sized dollops?) and then spread over the panel to be polished at lowest speed, then turn up the speed to normal polishing level to make the passes.

That was my approach to using both their UC and UP with my rotary polisher and random orbital polisher recently. Worked quite well for me.

Back