Uderbody Rust Protection

Hi, Dear Friends,
Car rear wheel arch has rusted. Not too badly, but if left without any action it may become worse.
I will try to remove the rust by using metal brush, but there are some deep narrow areas that i may not be able to reach, still some minor rust will be left.
What would you offer to coat the partially rusty metal? There could be many premium quality products for this purpose, available on the market for you, but they are not available for me in my country :)
i have 2 options
1. Appying bitumen to whole area
2. Spray anti-corrosion primer.
In my opinion, anti-corrosion primer would be best for clean metal surfaces. But when it comes to partially rusty metals, if i thin bitumen by mixing it with gasoline and apply to there , it would stick better, wouldn't it ?
Any advice is highly appreciated :)
Regards.

The car in the image is not mine, but in mine, it is the same place that rusted
t4-inner-rear-wheel-arch-repair-panel-left-91-03-oem-partnr-701803301-l_5.jpg

Hi, Dear Friends,
Car rear wheel arch has rusted. Not too badly, but if left without any action it may become worse.
I will try to remove the rust by using metal brush, but there are some deep narrow areas that i may not be able to reach, still some minor rust will be left.
What would you offer to coat the partially rusty metal? There could be many premium quality products for this purpose, available on the market for you, but they are not available for me in my country :)
i have 2 options
In my opinion, anti-corrosion primer would be best for clean metal surfaces. But when it comes to partially rusty metals, if i thin bitumen by mixing it with gasoline and apply to there , it would stick better, wouldn't it ?
Regards.

View attachment 45397
Here's a link to a review of rust treatments:

I haven't done much with this review as yet but have some small rust problems in the same area of my Honda that I plan to deal with. Waiting for better weather.

Not familiar with your corner of the world. But often rust repair comes down to, how long do you need the car to last, and how good do you want it to look when done? I've seen some really poorly done jobs BUT they can last a long time, often longer than the rest of the vehicle. And to cut out rust, patch, and paint so it looks factory fresh... can be a bit more than the rest of the car is worth.

Noxudol 700 is the best there is for inside panels and Noxudol 900 for outside wheel wells especially when used over chip guard.
there are others that equal and even exceed eg corban but they require special spray equipment and sold in bulk, very pricey.
Napa Stone Guard 4004 is black and 4003 is white, for a white car use the 4003, if using it externally, you can use touch up paint on the lip right over it.
Clean the inner with a wire wheel in a drill, use some self etching primer and spray the Stone guard over it then the Noxudol 900, the rust if it hasn't gone through will stay away a long time. Noxudol was the OE supplier for Saab and Volvo and recommended by name by Toyota and others.

I share your experience as we have the same problems with car bodywork rusting in the UK.

Unless you completely remove, prime & paint the second option should be:

Clear as much rust and dirt from the affected area.​
Use rust neutraliser product to chemicaly change existing rust​
depending on the results
if good, use a rust protecting primer + paint spray then chip protection product which stays flexible in cold temperatures​
if not good, use a penetrating rust protection product to saturate the rust and seal it from gettin moisture & air followed by a chip protection product as a finish.​
Bitumen is not long lasting.
If you can get hold of EU products, here are some good brands to check out (from personal expereince). I am sure there are many more good ones
waxoyl
dinitol
bilt hamber

Hi, Dear Friends,
i have 2 options
Regards.

View attachment 45397

For what its worth ,I tried the [ hammered ] finish Rust-Oleum spray on paint under my Cars back end and its as good as when I first sprayed , I believe the retextured of the hammered finish protects much better and goes on like a real body coating ,its been 4 years now and still as good it would not hurt to try it on a spot you'll be surprised ,no multiple coats or rust stops primer needed. good luck.

I have become interested in Rust-Oleum product when looking for high temp exhaust primer.
sanke:
which product did you use? the paint or the rusty metal primer?
And did you spary it on a rusty or clean panel?

Back