UCL not needed, but XOM disagrees - discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by addyguy
Some of the 'heavier' oil components doesn't burn up in the combustion process, and 'flows' down into the upper-ring area?

Isn't that how a UCL works? Not being smart, I'm asking.

One of the sources of HC emissions is that the fuel is solluble in the oil on the cylinder wall, during the intake and compression stroke...it is evaporated out one the power and exhaust strokes. THis would allow an FM to (inefficiently) be introduced to ring blet oil.

Note also that ring belt oil is higher in additives, significantly, than the sump, due to oil boil-off

So could what they employ be an anti adhesive lubricant … different from a cleaner ?

I'm getting out of my league here....but would a UCL then 'help' this process, even if it is already done?

Can this extra 'help' be measured???

Sounds like typical XOM marketing.

With that being said, I do run TCW-3 (and occasionally MMO) in my small engines - mowers, and even my bike and scooter. I don't run them as often in my vehicles (2017 Chevy Sonic, and 2002 Avalanche), but when I do I typically get a small (2-3%) increase in fuel economy. It's not much, but is obviously doing something. On tanks when I don't add anything, fuel economy returns to normal. I've tested this many times, and the results are repeatable. I normally run my vehicle fuel tanks down to approx. 1/8 before refill, so it's not a 'left over remnants' situation with previous UCL treatments.

If it makes you feel better, then run a UCL. If you feel it's a waste, then omit the UCL at fill-up. Doesn't matter to me either way, but those against UCL's won't convince me to stop using them after all these years either - due to the repeatable results.

Does this increase in fuel economy equate to less engine wear? I honestly do no know, but it's painfully obvious (to me, anyway) that something positive is taking place. (not just a lightening of my wallet, lol)

Last edited:
Lawn_Care said:

With that being said, I do run TCW-3 (and occasionally MMO) in my small engines - mowers, and even my bike and scooter. I don't run them as often in my vehicles (2017 Chevy Sonic, and 2002 Avalanche), but when I do I typically get a small (2-3%) increase in fuel economy. It's not much, but is obviously doing something. On tanks when I don't add anything, fuel economy returns to normal. I've tested this many times, and the results are repeatable. I normally run my vehicle fuel tanks down to approx. 1/8 before refill, so it's not a 'left over remnants' situation with previous UCL treatments.
==================================================================================================================
Or three years of R&D and testing of a global formula (several folks making six figures) when they could of just put in outboard motor oil in at the pump

Originally Posted by 4WD
Lawn_Care said:
==================================================================================================================
Or three years of R&D and testing of a global formula (several folks making six figures) when they could of just put in outboard motor oil in at the pump

What I was referring to, and should've clarified in my response, was the '30% wear reduction' claim by XOM. That, to me, sounds like typical marketing.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Lawn_Care said:

Maybe TCW3 doesn't check one of the 1000 boxes that all needed checked. No different than aftermarket tunes. It's easy to buy a tune that increases your engine performance or mileage, maybe both. I'm sure the guy at Ford was capable of figuring that tune out too but he has other things to worry about too.

UCLs usually do more than lubricate the upper cylinder -- they have detergents for cleaning deposits/carbon and they have stabilizers that preserve the storage of fuel. Oh and they also lubricate the fuel system. Probably more also.

Originally Posted by DGXR
UCLs usually do more than lubricate the upper cylinder -- they have detergents for cleaning deposits/carbon and they have stabilizers that preserve the storage of fuel. Oh and they also lubricate the fuel system. Probably more also.

I've always wondered what it is in the "upper cylinder" that needs lubricating which isn't already being properly lubricated.

After that I really wonder what it is in the fuel system that needs "extra" lubricating.

Originally Posted by kschachn
After that I really wonder what it is in the fuel system that needs "extra" lubricating.

If it does nothing other than help counter the negative effects of the added ethanol, then it's worth it to me - especially in small engines.
The extra bit of lubrication can't hurt a vehicle's fuel system either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by DGXR

I've always wondered what it is in the "upper cylinder" that needs lubricating which isn't already being properly lubricated.

If you've ever torn down a carbureted engine you'd easily note quite a bit of wear at the "upper cylinder." Fuel injection has really helped but maybe not totally solved this issue. People that continually use TCW3 do tend to have amazingly clean pistons and combustion chambers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back