UA839 from Los Angeles to Sydney has diverted to Pago Pago in American Samoa (not verified)

Correct, it took about 1 hour to descend from 38,000' to 20,000'

Is my assumption correct that they shut down one engine and flew the rest of the flight on one engine?
Yes. From the altitude profile, they shut down the engine and then diverted. That makes sense. If the engine had a problem, they would shut it down.

The airplane is certified to fly for several hours on one engine. It’s part of the ETOPS (Extended Twin Operating Procedures Specifications) protocol. Same as the 767, 777, 330, or 350.

Every potential diversion airport was analyzed and planned before they took off. Weather, approach facilities, runway length and width, facilitation, GPS satellite coverage at the time of diversion, etc. Every ETOPS flight has that analysis done as part of the flight plan. Our flight plan for an ETOPS flight runs 60-80 pages with this, and other planning details.

So, as we cross the ocean with only two engines, at every moment, we know where we plan to divert.

From Aviation Herald.....

Incident: United B789 over Pacific on Dec 30th 2022, engine shut down in flight
By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Dec 31st 2022 10:23Z, last updated Saturday, Dec 31st 2022 10:34Z

A United Boeing 787-9, registration N38955 performing flight UA-839 (dep Dec 29th) from Los Angeles,CA (USA) to Sydney,NS (Australia), was enroute at FL380 about 960nm north of Pago Pago (American Samoa) when the crew needed to shut the right hand engine (GEnx) down suspecting an engine oil leak. The aircraft turned south, drifted down to FL200 and diverted to Pago Pago for a safe landing about 2.5 hours later.

United reported a replacement aircraft is being dispatched to Pago Pago from Sydney estimated to land the passengers in Sydney in the morning of New Year's Day Jan 1st 2023 at about 07:15L. The aircraft had diverted to Pago Pago due to a mechanical issue.

A replacement Boeing 787-9 registration N24979 is currently enroute from Sydney,NS (Australia) to Pago Pago estimated to arrive there at about 00:44L (Dec 31st, just east of the date boundary, 11:44Z Dec 31st​

That is almost as bad as my 2009 4cyl Toyota Camry... they should get that looked at...
Right out of the Airbus manual.....limitation section, engines.

Average oil consumption ( not leak ) is 0.5 quarts per hour, per engine.

Before departure, we use 9.5 quarts ( per side ) as the min and make sure we have enough for the trip ( 4 hour flight.....9.5 + 2.0 plus alternate ). If we need oil, we just have maintenance top it off.

Oil level QTY is in the flight deck.

We do some VERY basic etops flights ( 75 min ) to the Caribbean ( although not required by law.... benign etops. Company decision to standardize ) .
It all looks good during flight planning but after take-off and during the etops segment, I will divert wherever I feel is best ( consult with dispatch and maintenance depending on the situation ).

Last edited:
Jet engines leak like crazy. Nearly all oil is lost through operation by leaking past the no. 6 bearing in the turbine rear frame. This is the location of incredibly high heat and high difficulty in sealing. They don't use seals like on a car engine but rather they use a labyrinth seal that uses internal air pressure to literally blow the oil back into the scavenge sump.

There are three gearboxes that are potential oil leakers: inlet, transfer, and accessory drive module. Each of these gearboxes have shafts that can wear. They use carbon seals which do a great job of sealing but are very picky about being perfectly smooth. As wear creates gaps, oil leaks begin and increase exponentially over time.

And of course, the system is a dry sump design that mounts the oil tank on the side of the fan frame. The potential exists for servicing errors by ground support and the fact that this plane had a failure at this time duration makes it's quite possible that something was not done correctly back in Los Angeles.

I am curious to see if any information is brought forward on the cause of this problem. Rarely do companies share such data because it's bad for business but maybe someone with internal information can share when it's made available. All the speculation and it could turn out to be a faulty sensor.
Interesting, thanks.

I would not shut down any engine in flight , regardless how low the quantity shows, provided oil temp and pressure are o.k.

I would obviously advise dispatch and maintenance but keep it running.

Whether I diverted or not would depend on the discussion with maintenance ( assuming not flying over mountains, sorry, not doing that , depending how high, how far across ).

Yes, false warnings can happen. On the Airbus, to avoid this, they say we need two things before treating it as real low oil pressure ( red on the gauge plus another warning ). If we get just one, treat it as an indication problem.

Its like what Airbus says about Avionics smoke “warnings” - the pilot, not the warning, is considered more accurate and to totally ignore it unless backed up with PERCEPTIBLE smoke ( see, smell , not just a warning ). Lots of pilots do not understand that. If you do not understand things properly, you will end up putting the aircraft into electrical emergency configuration ( min stuff left ….limited Nav aids ) and making life more complicated than it should be.

Same with cargo smoke warning but you have no choice with that one in flight and must land ASAP because it could be real and pilots cannot obviously go down and check it out in flight. You will only know if it was real after landing ( or smoke, fire ) after inspected.

Air Transat had a cargo smoke warning, diverted ASAP to EWR , stopped on the runway for an inspection ( no smoke or fire , no hot spots so fire crew opened cargo door and saw smoke ) and then evacuated because smoke was seen coming out of cargo door when opened. Turned out it was smoke from the halon fire extinguishers, not from a fire. False smoke warning. Better safe than sorry, no choice but to divert.

Going off topic but , yes, false warnings can happen but it’s important for pilots to know what the manufacturer says to minimize going down the rabbit hole and complicating things in some cases.

know your aircraft, inside and out, and discuss with maintenance if time.

I am not second guessing the united crew. Just talking about false warnings/cautions for discussion as some may find the discussion interesting. I have no clue what they experienced on that United flight. I am very curious to find out.

Last edited:
There is no minimum operating oil quantity for the engines (PW, GE, and RR) on my airplane. There is a required preflight quantity.

I’ve seen as low as 5 quarts in the sump on a P&W 4060 - somewhere South of Greenland - coming back from London. Preflight level was above the 15 quarts minimum required for dispatch.

Oil temperature and pressure were good. No need to consider shutdown and diversion.

After block in at Newark, and engine shutdown at the gate. it rose back above 15 quarts.

Actual sump quantity varies in operation. By itself, it isn’t a concern.

By the way, our long range aircraft systems are continuously monitored via datalink communication.

I’ve been over the deep South Pacific, and seen the satcom system working.

It was our maintenance crews in San Francisco, checking the health of our four engines, operating temperatures, oil, temperatures, oil, quantity, vibration, engine pressure ratio, fuel flow, etc.

This was over 20 years ago, on the 747-400.

The 787 is a whole different level of sophistication, and has amazing ability to do predictive maintenance and systems monitoring.

I am not second guessing the crew either, but there may have been something that our maintenance folks saw that caused them some concern.

The actual particular problem with the aircraft may not have been as simple as oil quantity, it may have been much more subtle.

I would say that 95% of the news articles I read involving aviation have got some basic fact wrong. So, it wouldn’t surprise me at all, if that were the case here.

By the way, our long range aircraft systems are continuously monitored via datalink communication.

It was our maintenance crews in San Francisco, checking the health of our four engines, operating temperatures, oil, temperatures, oil, quantity, vibration, engine pressure ratio, fuel flow, etc.

The 787 is a whole different level of sophistication, and has amazing ability to do predictive maintenance and systems monitoring.

I am not second guessing the crew either, but there may have been something that our maintenance folks saw that caused them some concern.

The actual particular problem with the aircraft may not have been as simple as oil quantity, it may have been much more subtle.

I would say that 95% of the news articles I read involving aviation have got some basic fact wrong. So, it wouldn’t surprise me at all, if that were the case here.
Yes, great point about maintenance possibly seeing something they didn’t like.

True about the media, big time.

They also hate us.

Good reason why flight ops warn pilots to never talk with them.

There is no minimum operating oil quantity for the engines (PW, GE, and RR) on my airplane. There is a required preflight quantity.

I’ve seen as low as 5 quarts in the sump on a P&W 4060 - somewhere South of Greenland - coming back from London. Preflight level was above the 15 quarts minimum required for dispatch.

Oil temperature and pressure were good. No need to consider shutdown and diversion.

After block in at Newark, and engine shutdown at the gate. it rose back above 15 quarts.

Actual sump quantity varies in operation. By itself, it isn’t a concern.
Yes, level varies in flight.

We tell maintenance whenever it’s at 13 quarts or less in cruise.

Juan brings up an interesting point - alternate airport suitability. There’s a lot to ETOPS. Part of the protocol is the set of alternate airports along the route.

But legal, and suitable, aren’t always the same thing.

Coming back from Europe one night, our western ETOPS alternate was Goose Bay, NFLD. Good long runways and not much else. The weather, however, was snow squalls, 25-30 knots of wind, from the West, poor visibility, low ceilings, and blowing snow.

It met the legal minimums.

But the only ILS (precision approach) in Goose Bay is for Runway 8.

Which meant, on this dark, snowy morning, if we had to divert, we would be bringing a 767 in with an engine shut down on a non-precision approach. Legal, but I didn’t like it.

I had the dispatcher re-calculate the ETOPS time (Juan’s rings) and critical points, using Gander, which was about 50 farther. Gander has multiple ILS. Multiple precision approaches. So, while the weather was similar at both airports, the approach facilities were much better in Gander.

The flight planning software on this flight had spit out the alternates, selecting the closest, legal airports.

That doesn’t mean that the selection was suitable, or reasonable. A SATCOM call to dispatch to explain what I wanted cleared it all up. We were still using the same ETOPS protocol, but with a better set of options along the route.

Juan brings up an interesting point - alternate airport suitability. There’s a lot to ETOPS. Part of the protocol is the set of alternate airports along the route.

But legal, and suitable, aren’t always the same thing.

Coming back from Europe one night, our western ETOPS alternate was Goose Bay, NFLD. Good long runways and not much else. The weather, however, was snow squalls, 25-30 knots of wind, from the West, poor visibility, low ceilings, and blowing snow.

It met the legal minimums.

But the only ILS (precision approach) in Goose Bay is for Runway 8.

Which meant, on this dark, snowy morning, if we had to divert, we would be bringing a 767 in with an engine shut down on a non-precision approach. Legal, but I didn’t like it.

I had the dispatcher re-calculate the ETOPS time (Juan’s rings) and critical points, using Gander, which was about 50 farther. Gander has multiple ILS. Multiple precision approaches. So, while the weather was similar at both airports, the approach facilities were much better in Gander.

The flight planning software on this flight had spit out the alternates, selecting the closest, legal airports.

That doesn’t mean that the selection was suitable, or reasonable. A SATCOM call to dispatch to explain what I wanted cleared it all up. We were still using the same ETOPS protocol, but with a better set of options along the route.

Ever try Sonderstrom?
Alternate airfields are chosen based on route of flight, distance, facilities, and weather forecast.

Sondrestrom is now Kangerlussauq airport. If we were that far North, and the weather was good, and better alternatives did not exist, we could use Kangerlussauq.

But between New York and Europe, we’re rarely that far North. Flights from the West Coast to Europe would be more likely to choose it.

These passengers had it much better than the ones on this flight several years ago.

Not much in Midway.

Either way, safe on the ground, debating what should have been done, sure beats what the passengers on say, Air France 447 experienced.

Within walking distance to the beach.

Back