Type F transmission fluid

Ok Cool, so for mainly a non-racing application I'll just stick with the regular Type F..

I'm not really going to be racing it.. It's mainly a weekend cruiser and some car shows, lol with the occasional red light race. Lol

I appreciate everyone's info on the subject👍

Waaaaaaaayy back in the day, when you installed a shift kit in a GM turbo 350 / 400 trans. You topped it off with "Type F" fluid per the instructions. Did many GM trans that way, they all got 2nd chirp. Some got 3rd gear too!!!

I grab Super Tech at Walmart for my 88 E-150 power steering unit. I replaced the two PS hoses a few years back and ran that through it before finishing up the job. I doubt there's any difference between brands.

I would upgrade the fluid. I also wouldn't worry about the "marketing" from the brand. Its not for the consumer to understand the marketing. Marketing is to make the sale. All you have to do is match the specifications. I believe that you were confused concerning 'clutch' friction/traction modifier vs silly nano-marketing additive to reduce frictional wear with at the pump/gears/bearings.....

My recommendation is to understand the adjustments within your transmission and adjust as needed also.

Type F would varnish up pretty quickly and you'd see typical seal wear, component scuffing, governor sticking... I would not say that any of the new conventional type-F's are any better than what was available in the 1970's. Back then, simple 2 and 3 speed transmissions had rebuild kits that cost $20. Typically, and for too many, the 1st fluid change occurs when the shop rebuilds its. I could pull, rebuild, reinstall one in a couple hours. So, adjust it and maintain the ATF, as needed for your driving style, mods, and power level.

When it comes to ANY transmission, upgrade when possible. The synthetic or blend fluids are an easy upgrade path, especially when the transmission is outside of its original parameters or expectations(higher HP motor, shift kits.....). I would not use any common typeF from the autopart store. Upgrade the ATF and keep the transmission clean. Or, get familiar with the rebuild manual.

Concerning the ATF cooler, depending on vehicle, most will toss in whatever fits. If you want to pick an appropriate cooler, you install an ATF temperature gauge, get the temps, and see if its needed for the daily drive or illegal redlight races. Some inline "PH8A" filter kits come with spots for temp sensors/senders. Otherwise, you drill the pan for one and mount up a gauge. Since OE filtration is a joke, consider the remote filter kit and get that temp gauge too.

If average ATF temperature is acceptable, but once in a while gets a little too warm, then sometimes all you need is a deep sump and matching dump sump 'pickup' filter, and maybe skip the add-on ATF cooler. Some go too big with add-on ATF coolers and conventional Type-F is not known for is cold performance.

Amsoil Type F link: Amsoil ART Type F

Don't worry about the "racing" moniker. It's not for racing ONLY.

Anyway, yes there are differences in fluids. Yes synthetic transmission fluids are better. They flow better when cold AND hot. They definitely will not need to be changed much, probably many years of use in your application.

I don't know exactly what to tell you to use, but I think understanding this transmission can help you make a decision - rather than focusing on just the fluid.

The C4 is a basic 3 speed transmission with a non-locking torque converter. So unless its a really late model C5, or has a aftermarket torque converter with a higher stall speed, changing to a fluid with a lower viscosity - which of course almost any modern fluid likely has - possibly will change how it shifts and how it operates overall since your changing the dynamics of the hydraulic properties of the fluid.

You might be best off to find a old Ford specific forum, maybe an old mustang forum, and see what those guys are running based on experience not speculation - unless there are some of those guys around here. Barring that, I would honestly install a trans cooler and a trans temp gauge and keep running type F. The old style fluid will "burn" if it gets too hot, which is the only real downside. The upside is it will have the right viscosity for the stock trans, and the old fluid will hold contaminants in suspension better, so if your doing reasonable service intervals and not over heating it - I would think type F will still work pretty well.

I know last I looked there were some newer fluids that met the type F viscosity specs - so those might be the best of all worlds.

If your set on using modern synthetic, I would try to find one that matches the viscosity of the type F - which almost certainly will be a specialty fluid not one of the new "fits everything" fluids which are all pretty low viscosity.

Last edited:
The transmission the car is in is a 1968 Fairlane..
So it's around a 1967 or 1968 model C4 transmission. I believe I did view a 68 date code on the transmission years ago, C8AE code. I know they did make some different C4 transmissions in the 60s, not sure what's what between them though.

It's a good size transmission cooler. I was actually planning on installing a temperature probe for a temp gauge when I install the new drain pan with a drain plug.

I had a slight overheating incident last summer with the original 68 small block radiator so I just installed a new aluminum 3 row big block radiator, and now I'm gradually doing this trany cooler.. I've heard some people say you can actually install too big of a transmission cooler.. I'll give it a light coat of black paint for the final install just to match everything.

But like I said before when it comes to transmissions I don't know much about them.
When I don't know I ask a lot of questions LoL

Any advice or pointers regarding the fluid and cooler /transmission setup would be appreciated 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_142425454.jpg
    IMG_20221112_142425454.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230101_190842489.jpg
    IMG_20230101_190842489.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 3
Painting the transmission cooler will make it less thermally efficient. Its like adding an insulator. It may or may not matter in your application.

I would suggest the most important aspect of an automatic transmission is temperature. You maybe want to consider installing a gauge and keeping an eye on it. That will tell you how your cooler, etc is working. And yes, the fluid can run too cold. Too cold is likely better than too hot, but you still want to be running in the 180-220F range most of the time.

Painting the transmission cooler will make it less thermally efficient. Its like adding an insulator. It may or may not matter in your application.

I would suggest the most important aspect of an automatic transmission is temperature. You maybe want to consider installing a gauge and keeping an eye on it. That will tell you how your cooler, etc is working. And yes, the fluid can run too cold. Too cold is likely better than too hot, but you still want to be running in the 180-220F range most of the time.
Ok I'll definitely keep in mind 180-220F👍.. And yes I was definitely going to add a temp gauge when replace the pan and replace the filter and fluid.

With Type-F you want to be shooting for the lower end of that temp range. 160 to 180 would be preferable to get the longest fluid and least wear. Type F is going to be mineral oil based unless you buy fancy boutique stuff and is less able to handle higher temps than modern transmission fluid types.

Back