Type F transmission fluid

What are some of the best Type F Transmission fluids out there?.
And how good is Warren Oil type F transmission fluid??

Type F is a super old spec, pretty much any brand of type F fluid will perform just as well as the next when used in an application calling for Type F.

0000721_racing-atf-type-f_464.png

1673839865941.jpg

1673839849168.jpg

I appreciate all the info.!

This application is for a muscle car of about 380 HP and a C4 transmission with a shift kit and torque converter.. 355 gears in a 3000 lb car..

I am currently installing an oversized transmission cooler and I'm going to add a drain pan with a drain plug and servicing the transmission also..

I'm definitely going to do some research on that Red Line Type F ATF, but with all the new products on the shelf today is there anything better than Type-F transmission fluids for this kind of application?
Or is sticking with Type F the way to go??
Lol I don't know much about transmissions, I'll appreciate any feedback.

Ask your transmission builder about what fluid they recommend, that Redline Type F is like 20-30% thicker than most Type F transmissions and may not be the best thing to run unless the car is being used on the track where the ATF is going to run hotter than it normally would on the road.

I'm not sure when this transmission was rebuilt but it's a really nice transmission the way it's set up.. it'll chirp second..

My best guess would be that it was definitely rebuilt after 1977. With what kind of internals I have no idea..

This car will usually not be commonly raced. Maybe at a red light occasionally but it is primarily a Sunday cruiser.

I've heard some people say use Valvoline ATF Max life, but I really don't know.

I did already service it once with Warren oil type f, super tech type f, that was probably 6,000 mi ago.I actually still have a couple cases of the Warren type f.

I'm confused by that Hot shot's product, it claims to be Allison C4, and it claims to have their friction reducer additive in it, which seems odd for a product that is recommend for use in Type F applications.

Here's another one for you: Mobilfluid LT ... it can be purchased cheaply in 5 gallon pails.

1673842574777.jpg

1673842609586.jpg

I appreciate all the feedback and info!

So basically I want to stick with a Type F transmission fluid?

That mobile fluid LT fluid looks very interesting..
So are Dexron fluids compatible?

Ok.. I'm learning to understand now..

I have heard in the past type f doesn't have friction modifiers like most atf fluids do..

I have heard in the past type f doesn't have friction modifiers like most atf fluids do..
Friction modification is part of the additive package. You can't separate the friction modifiers from the rest of the package. Type F fluids have specific additive package that provides wear protection, detergency, and a certain amount of lubricity. But the package lacks dynamic friction modification.

So, if you need Type F, buy and use Type F fluid, and don't try to use something else.

Ok thanks!
So I'll just stick with the Warren Oil type F I have been using... I still have a couple cases of it left..

But if I was going to take it to the drag strip once a year would the Warren Type F be okay??

But if I was going to take it to the drag strip once a year would the Warren Type F be okay??
How are we supposed to know? I already offered a high performance option in the second post of this thread. That's what a lot of people use at the drag strip. But hey, it's your vehicle, so you should save a few bucks where it counts. ;)(y)

Lol the only thing I know about transmissions is how to replace them in regular cars and trucks. Always sticking with factory specs

Well I take it for a ride in the winter time here in Virginia where they don't use much salt on the roads but it gets pretty cold here.
And it is stated on this thread that some performance fluids are a little thicker.. idk that's why I asked a lot of questions.

And along with the occasional wintertime drive I am adding a huge transmission cooler..

I was going to create another post regarding the transmission cooler size

Back