Two new tires - old tires never rotated

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2002 Civic LX took on a screw on the right front. It was easily in a repairable area, but both front tires had a lot of shoulder wear and they'd never been rotated in maybe 30K miles over 5 years. The rears were in great shape since it's mostly garaged. My wife doesn't drive that much, but we take it out for long trips because it's got better mileage and because she can't drive a stick (i.e. my ride). I figured it was time to replace the two fronts, but first I had to put the compact spare on. I always heard it was better to have a compact spare on the rear with a FWD car since there's no rear diff. I loosened the nuts (not easy after five years) and then jacked it up. Thing wouldn't come off; I figured the steel wheel and hub rusted together and I don't want to chance having it slip off the jack by banging it loose. So I just put it on the front and hope my wife doesn't kill the diff since it will probably be until the weekend that I can take it in (my wife hates this kind of stuff). I tell her not to go on the freeway, and she doesn't particular like to in the first place.

I was looking for a decent priced tire since my wife doesn't really drive aggressively. There aren't that many good choices in the 185/70R14 factory size (Tire Rack only shows 16 tires for the size including winter, and a lot are OEM tires), so I figured we might as well go cheap. I wanted some specific tires at a decent price, and none of the places within 10 miles had courtesy rebalancing or this particular tire in stock. So I drive to a place I had my last tires installed - over a convoluted local route where I don't top 45 MPH and mostly drive at about 35. We get there with an appointment after asking if they had two of these tires in stock. I originally thought I could do the appointment online, but not the same day.

When I got there the service writer says what I already know - I should just replace the fronts, put the new ones in the rear, and rotate to the front. So we do the paperwork - $52 each tire, but then mounting/installation/disposal/tax bring the total cost for this pair up to $155. Not bad I guess. If I'd bought a pair from Tire Rack it probably would have cost $200 with shipping and getting some place to install them. I pay on the spot and take a spot in the waiting room with my kid is napping.

Since there's been some talk about tire places cheating about actually doing stuff, I get out of the waiting room with my kid once I notice my wife's car on the rack. They already marked the rears RF and LF with a grease pencil - I guess a cross is recommended if the tires aren't directional. The rears of course didn't come off easily. For whatever reason, they were fused together, and I'm guessing it had something to do with the drum brake and that it's been five years. The installer bangs it a few times and it finally comes off. He repeats on the other side and says a few words that I sort of wish my kid didn't hear. Then the installer takes a rotating wire brush to all four of the hubs (nice layer of rust clearly visible) as well as the mounting surface of the steel wheels. He hands the rears off to someone at the balance machine, and they're balancing the previous tires that I bought somewhere else. I wasn't sure about this, but they said no problem with a free courtesy balance even if I bought them elsewhere. The old tires with good tread are now on the front while someone else is mounting and balancing the new tires. So finally all tires are on the car, the installer drops the compact spare in the trunk, and hands the keys to me.

So it turned out fairly well. I didn't feel fleeced. The job seemed to be done competently. Nobody tried to sell me on any additional service, although the service writer did recommend a place for an alignment since this shop didn't have any alignment equipment. I probably could have gone to Costco, but I didn't want to wait for some tire that they may not have in stock and I'm thinking they don't typically rebalance tires bought somewhere else.

It sounds like you went to America's Tire. They're the only ones who would offer such freebies and the wire-brushing of the hub.

Normally I would try to get two new identical tires (so that you would have 4 matching tires), but I understand your reasoning.

Once upon a time ...

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
My wife's 2002 Civic LX took on a screw on the right front. It was easily in a repairable area, but both front tires had a lot of shoulder wear and they'd never been rotated in maybe 30K miles over 5 years. The rears were in great shape since it's mostly garaged. My wife doesn't drive that much, but we take it out for long trips because it's got better mileage and because she can't drive a stick (i.e. my ride). I figured it was time to replace the two fronts, but first I had to put the compact spare on. I always heard it was better to have a compact spare on the rear with a FWD car since there's no rear diff. I loosened the nuts (not easy after five years) and then jacked it up. Thing wouldn't come off; I figured the steel wheel and hub rusted together and I don't want to chance having it slip off the jack by banging it loose. So I just put it on the front and hope my wife doesn't kill the diff since it will probably be until the weekend that I can take it in (my wife hates this kind of stuff). I tell her not to go on the freeway, and she doesn't particular like to in the first place.

I was looking for a decent priced tire since my wife doesn't really drive aggressively. There aren't that many good choices in the 185/70R14 factory size (Tire Rack only shows 16 tires for the size including winter, and a lot are OEM tires), so I figured we might as well go cheap. I wanted some specific tires at a decent price, and none of the places within 10 miles had courtesy rebalancing or this particular tire in stock. So I drive to a place I had my last tires installed - over a convoluted local route where I don't top 45 MPH and mostly drive at about 35. We get there with an appointment after asking if they had two of these tires in stock. I originally thought I could do the appointment online, but not the same day.

When I got there the service writer says what I already know - I should just replace the fronts, put the new ones in the rear, and rotate to the front. So we do the paperwork - $52 each tire, but then mounting/installation/disposal/tax bring the total cost for this pair up to $155. Not bad I guess. If I'd bought a pair from Tire Rack it probably would have cost $200 with shipping and getting some place to install them. I pay on the spot and take a spot in the waiting room with my kid is napping.

Since there's been some talk about tire places cheating about actually doing stuff, I get out of the waiting room with my kid once I notice my wife's car on the rack. They already marked the rears RF and LF with a grease pencil - I guess a cross is recommended if the tires aren't directional. The rears of course didn't come off easily. For whatever reason, they were fused together, and I'm guessing it had something to do with the drum brake and that it's been five years. The installer bangs it a few times and it finally comes off. He repeats on the other side and says a few words that I sort of wish my kid didn't hear. Then the installer takes a rotating wire brush to all four of the hubs (nice layer of rust clearly visible) as well as the mounting surface of the steel wheels. He hands the rears off to someone at the balance machine, and they're balancing the previous tires that I bought somewhere else. I wasn't sure about this, but they said no problem with a free courtesy balance even if I bought them elsewhere. The old tires with good tread are now on the front while someone else is mounting and balancing the new tires. So finally all tires are on the car, the installer drops the compact spare in the trunk, and hands the keys to me.

So it turned out fairly well. I didn't feel fleeced. The job seemed to be done competently. Nobody tried to sell me on any additional service, although the service writer did recommend a place for an alignment since this shop didn't have any alignment equipment. I probably could have gone to Costco, but I didn't want to wait for some tire that they may not have in stock and I'm thinking they don't typically rebalance tires bought somewhere else.

And they all lived happily ever after.

happy2.gif

My wife's 2002 Civic LX... front tires had a lot of shoulder wear and they'd never been rotated in maybe 30K miles over 5 years. The rears were in great shape since it's mostly garaged.

Two possible issues...

1. age...5 years is pushing the limit for rubber "viability"....it is RECOMMENDED that tires should be replaced @ 6 years....

2. more wear on the front suggests you're going to have to replace those rear-now-front tires sooner, (front are more stressed in turns and braking), and that's good...a year, or 2 years max, from now....keep an eye on them...look for any "weather-cracking"....keep them "filled" @ door-jamb (or d-j + 2psi) recommendation...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
It sounds like you went to America's Tire. They're the only ones who would offer such freebies and the wire-brushing of the hub.

Normally I would try to get two new identical tires (so that you would have 4 matching tires), but I understand your reasoning.

Yeah. It was actually America's Tire on Pine St. in Walnut Creek. The two closest to my home are Walnut Creek and Concord. I took a convoluted path via Wildcat Canyon Rd and through Orinda/Lafayette. to avoid freeways.

I've actually taken my car to the location in San Jose (near work) for a courtesy rotation and rebalancing, but this is my wife's car and I pretty much had to do it on a weekend. I have a choice of a lot of Big O, Goodyear, Firestone, and indy tires places near Berkeley. However, I had a decent experience with America's Tire as a chain. I had a short-term job in the Sacramento area and blew a tire near Davis. There was maybe 2/32" wear on the tire that blew, and I took it into an America's Tire shop. I didn't buy the replacement certificate, but they sold me a new one prorated for the remaining tread under their standard road hazard warranty. It was $30 for a new Conti ExtremeContact DWS 205/55R16, plus mounting and disposal.

I know Costco does lifetime rebalancing if you pay for their mounting. However, I was impressed that America's Tire rebalanced tires that I bought elsewhere and brushed off most of the rust.

The previous tires (Sumitomo HTR T4) have been discontinued in this size, although I think the Touring LST is fairly close. The new pair are Falken Sincera SN828. For the most part there don't seem to be many great choices in this size.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
My wife's 2002 Civic LX... front tires had a lot of shoulder wear and they'd never been rotated in maybe 30K miles over 5 years. The rears were in great shape since it's mostly garaged.

Two possible issues...

1. age...5 years is pushing the limit for rubber "viability"....it is RECOMMENDED that tires should be replaced @ 6 years....

2. more wear on the front suggests you're going to have to replace those rear-now-front tires sooner, (front are more stressed in turns and braking), and that's good...a year, or 2 years max, from now....keep an eye on them...look for any "weather-cracking"....keep them "filled" @ door-jamb (or d-j + 2psi) recommendation...

I've heard of that. I was thinking that I'd probably replace them within a year or two anyways, especially since they're in the front.

Still - they said the tires were in decent shape. I bought a set of tires for my folks in 2006 and they blew one out earlier this year. It was already over 6 years, but the installer said they were in decent condition. My folks are cheap and didn't feel like replacing all 4.

As for wear, I've heard that RWD cars still eat up the rears faster even though they don't steer or handle most of the braking. With a FWD car the fronts are doing everything harder. My AWD car has about a 50/50 torque split, but the fronts definitely wear out faster, but nothing like most FWD cars I've seen.

I probably could have gone to Costco, but I didn't want to wait for some tire that they may not have in stock and I'm thinking they don't typically rebalance tires bought somewhere else.

Went to Costco today and thought I'd ask since we were there.

The only tire they have at all in that size are Michelin Defender XT at $103.99 each. They had several stacked near the service desk in that size. I asked if they could get anything else, and the answer was no. Apparently they only work with a single supplier and they don't order from different wholesalers like independent or even other chain shops.

It probably would have been over $100 more and I'm thinking they wouldn't have rebalanced the old tires. But I would have gotten nitrogen.
wink.gif

Quote:
I loosened the nuts (not easy after five years) and then jacked it up. Thing wouldn't come off; I figured the steel wheel and hub rusted together
Put it back down on the driveway with the loose lug nuts. Roll a very short way and hit the brakes. You want to do this just enough to break the rust loose and not enough to damage the studs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back