Two Ford 5W30 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got two Ford products that I would like to ask questions with respect to the use of synthetic oil.

1. 1997 Mercury Mountaineer (135,000 miles)
When I bought this vehicle, the specification was for 5W30 oil, however Ford changed this in 2001 to 5W20. Looking over my records, it looks like about 50% of the oil changes have been with Motorcraft 5W20 and the remainder 5W30. If I made a change to full synthetic oil, what would be the best choice? Would it necessarily need to be a synthetic 5W20 or would 0W20 (as in Mobil 1) be appropriate?

2. 2001 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (15,000 miles)
This vehicle also carries a specification for 5W20 oil and has only had this for its oil changes. What would be the best choice for this vehicle if I went to full synthetic oil?

Kent Kester

Kent, I corrected the title for you. With 135,000 miles on your 5.0, pick a good dino 10W30 -Joe

[ December 19, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

Does the Mountaineer have the old mustang 5.0L motor? Since its got a lot of miles already and out of warranty, I'll go for the German Castrol 0w30 at 5k OCI.

The Vic, I say go with Mobil1 0w20 at same OCI interval.

Honestly you will find here that there is really no consensus on one best oil. If you want to go "over the counter" and decide you want to use synthetic oil: Mobil 1 10W-30 would be very good for your area all year around in both vehicles. You might have to deal with warranty issues for the Cron Vic though.

You might just want to stay with the MotorCraft for that one (a very good oil BTW) or go to Mobil 1 0W-20. German Castrol 0W-30 (available at Autozone0Note: It must say "Made in Germany" ) is another fine choice.

welcome.gif

Thanks. The Mountaineer does have a 5.0 V8 engine. I wasn't sure if because of the higher mileage on the Mountaineer whether there would need to be any additional oil considerations.

Kent Kester

cool.gif
I would use a quality oil in whatever viscosity the vehicle calls for. Just because newer Fords call for 5w-20 doesn't mean it's okay for yours.

Read the TSB.
I know that 'ALL' engines weren't included. The TSB also has been update several times over the years.

For the CrownVic, I'd stick with the 20wt. UOAs here proved that this is a good oil.

For the SUV, I'd stay with the 5w30.

Use any synthetic if you don't mind the cost. But, it isn't really needed.
If there are any oil control issues with the 5.0L(leak/burnage...), try some of the higher mileage oils.

For the Police Interceptor use a 5W-20 or 0W-20 until the warranty expires. Use 5W-30, or 10W-30 conventional oil or a 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic oil for the Mountaineer. The 5.0L V8 is an old design with loose clearances. In the Mountaineer you will get less engine wear with a 30 weight oil and I doubt that you will notice any difference in fuel economy when going back to 5W-30 from 5W-20 that is now recommended by Ford since 2001.

Ford only claims that they increased fuel economy by an average of 0.6% when changing from 5W-30 to 5W-20 motor oil. The new 5W-20 oils have done very well in some newer engine designs but I don't think the old 5.0L Ford V8 was ever intended by it's original designers to run a 5W-20 motor oil in warm or hot weather.

[ December 20, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

If you look, you'll see that the link for the UOA was determined to be Kendall 10w-30 - and it was not a good report.

I posted that UOA and will soon be posting another UOA with a dino 5w-30. After that, there will be one posted with Schaeffer's #701 (5w-30 blend). She puts miles on this truck pretty quick, so check back and you'll see how these other oils are protecting & holding up.

Both the Ford dealer network and my own oil changes use Chevron Supreme 5W-30 in all engines. We have no Crown Vic's here, but a fair number of F-150's and Explorers, as well as one or two Expeditions and a lot of Rangers. I have 150,000 km on my 97 Ranger (4.0) and it seems to love the 5w30. Ford told me not to even think about a lower viscosity becuse they would not buy it. Ambient temps here range from -25 C to +58 C.

quote:

run penz dino 10w30, (but 5w30 in winter is ok), in the 5.0 V8

Ditto. I run Pennz 10W-30 year-round in my '95 Mustang 5.0, and it seems to work very well. Search under my user name in the UOA section for an analysis I posted on this oil in this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back