Two Days With a 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Club Sport needed an Oil Service as well as brake fluid and cooling system flushes, so my service advisor nabbed a 428i xDrive Gran Coupe loaner for me. After two days here is my take on the "Coupe":

First off I'll state for the record that I would never, EVER own a Gran Coupe optioned like my loaner; the AWD and lack of the M Sport package would be deal-breakers. Now, having said that it's a pretty decent car. I still don't know why Munich has decided it needs to offer two four door 3ers, and one four door 4er, but the Gran Coupe is my favorite.

The driving experience is standard-issue 3 Series. The turbo four seems to have a smoother/flatter torque curve than the one in my Mazdaspeed, but that may be a function of the eight speed ZF autobox smoothing things out a bit. The four isn't especially inspiring to listen to, and in that regard it is identical to my Mazdaspeed. I do like the automatic, but I wish BMW would let Dodge tune it- in the Charger and Challenger you can hold a gear to the rev-limiter without a forced upshift. Mileage was little if any better than the Mazda: 23.5 mpg in town low 30s on the Interstate.

Handling is adequate and-as usual-steering feel is MIA. In order to make the platform as idiot proof as possible BMW has tweaked the rear suspension to increase understeer without having to result to staggered tires. Not awful, but not terribly much fun either. The xDrive is virtually transparent and there are worse choices if you need an AWD daily driver(I don't- thankfully).

I'm still pleasantly surprised that the car has a true handbrake; the only reason for resorting to a button or switch is to impress the "Oh look! It's different so it must be COOL!!!" crowd(see also: beer tap shifter). Brakes are decent if a little wooly- like the steering, there's some insulation built in that detracts from your ability to tell what the binders are doing.

The base seats are flat and hard. Just about as bad as the seats in my wife's E90- the seats in my Mazdaspeed, Club Sport, and the '02(E21 Recaros) are infinitely more comfortable and supportive. Otherwise, the interior is very nice; I still don't like the "tablet super glued to the dash" display, but I can live with it

To sum up: There's nothing wrong with the Gran Coupe that 50 hp, the M Sport Package, and a hydraulic steering rack wouldn't cure. My friend Steve Dinan and the option sheet can correct the first two issues, but the last problem has yet to be resolved. Too bad- because otherwise I could actually see myself owning one...

Originally Posted By: MCompact

I'm still pleasantly surprised that the car has a true handbrake; the only reason for resorting to a button or switch is to impress the "Oh look! It's different so it must be COOL!!!" crowd(see also: beer tap shifter).

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I did an install on a late model Volkswagen CC. Pulled it out to the parking lot and set the parking brake because it was on an incline and I did not want to be the cause of any damage to the expensive DSG.

Two days later, the client, a product engineer for a large company....keyword degreed engineer comes back to complain that since I installed the unit, his car is making a funny smell.

He had the parking brake on for two days.
33.gif

Quote:
It's not really an emergency brake, it's an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever. Mitch Hedberg

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I did an install on a late model Volkswagen CC. Pulled it out to the parking lot and set the parking brake because it was on an incline and I did not want to be the cause of any damage to the expensive DSG.

Two days later, the client, a product engineer for a large company....keyword degreed engineer comes back to complain that since I installed the unit, his car is making a funny smell.

33.gif

Wow, is it German engineering or the driver? The hand brake in my Subaru makes the back end squat if I try to drive off. Plus, the bright red idiot BRAKE light is hard not to notice.

You received a brand new loaner car while your 20 year old car was in for servicing?

That's awesome.

33.gif

That's actually the only thing I like about push button parking brakes, it will disengage itself if you forget.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
You received a brand new loaner car while your 20 year old car was in for servicing?

That's awesome.

It's really a great dealer. I've bought four BMWs and a Nissan Pathfinder from them so I guess I qualify as a loyal customer.

My business partner has the 428I coupe, it needs the I6.

If I'm spending money on a vehicle I want a motor that sings under the hood.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

I'm still pleasantly surprised that the car has a true handbrake; the only reason for resorting to a button or switch is to impress the "Oh look! It's different so it must be COOL!!!" crowd(see also: beer tap shifter).

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

33.gif

Quote:
It's not really an emergency brake, it's an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever. Mitch Hedberg

How did he ignore the dash screaming at him for two days?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glock19
33.gif

That's actually the only thing I like about push button parking brakes, it will disengage itself if you forget.

Not on the CC.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

How did he ignore the dash screaming at him for two days?

21.gif
I wish I knew. The center of the cluster was telling him that the parking brake was on.

He was also ignoring the SERVICE NOW! notification and was 20,000+ miles past his last service interval according to the sticker.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

That's awesome.

If there's any way to get a customer into a new car who's not looking, this is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back