Two Cars One Driver High Insurance

I asked my insurance company why it was so expensive after adding the Yukon to my policy and this is what they said:

"It looks like one of the reasons your premium is high, is because of two vehicles and one driver. This can cause the premium to be high."

Does anyone know why on earth this would be? To me, it makes absolutely no sense. I can only drive one car at a time?

Define high?

2 cars will be double of one car minus your 5% multi car discount - more or less. I know you can only drive one at a time, but that's still how it works.

Have you shopped insurance recently. If you have been living with small increases every 6 months for years, your likely higher now than other carriers might be.

They may be assuming you have unlisted drivers in the household using the other vehicle. What company?

I have 5 cars with 2 drivers on Costco Connect Insurance along with our home in Los Gatos. I pay under $1200 for a 6 month premium with lotsa coverage.
2 Lexi
1 Tesla
1 Acura
1 Tundra (no comprehensive)

I have 5 cars with 2 drivers on Costco Connect Insurance along with our home in Los Gatos. I pay under $1200 for a 6 month premium with lotsa coverage.
2 Lexi
1 Tesla
1 Acura
1 Tundra (no comprehensive)
Holy cow. Mine is $1k for 6mo for the two worthless vehicles in my signature.

Bigger cars with bigger engines typically cost more to insure. On paper, they can do more damage in an accident. Also my experience that older cars often times are more to insure.

Insurance is the biggest racket. Yeah, I never understood why when you add another vehicle to a household that you pay again for liability. Liability should be bound to a driver and if another vehicle added, then liability doesn’t get doubled. It should be based on total miles driven - two cars doesn’t mean double the miles that I can drive.

And also, why do I have to disclose that my teen is a driver on our cars to have him insured? Liability (Tort) is tied to the vehicle. I don’t have to disclose if I lend my car to a buddy, so why my kid?

It seems like maybe you're thinking you should be paying a "two for one" deal since you can't drive them at the same time. Is that the case ?

Without a more detailed breakdown of the bill there is no way to tell anything meaningful

you dont list your age, driving record
actual increase
etc.

Without a more detailed breakdown of the bill there is no way to tell anything meaningful

you dont list your age, driving record
actual increase
etc.
1676776502745.png

1676776560310.png

The same coverage with just the Escape was like $700/6mo. I'm 27, one speeding ticket a couple years ago, two claims, one in 2017 and one in 2018.

The same coverage with just the Escape was like $700/6mo.
And now it's $529 with the add'l vehicle. You went from paying for coverage for (1) vehicle to paying for (2) and the cost went up. This is completely normal.

Back