TVS120 Tecumseh correct oil capacity

I see various oil capacities listed. My Operator manual lists 21 ounces. That amount puts the level almost 1 inch high on the dip stick. (I screw the dipstick in) Today I put in 16 ounces, ran the mower and checked it at the normal mark or at the upper end of the hash marks. Should I start at say 13 and gradually add by the ounce?

Does it have a drain plug? My mowers, without drainplugs, will never drain the full amount. Might as well put it on an engine stand and rotate flip tilt as needed over and over and over again. Trust the dipstick. Keep it to the full level. Whether you check it before running, or 5 minutes after mowing the yard, shouldn't be anything to worry about if full. I open the shed, check oil level, and if full, mow the yard.

Last oil change after the yard mow, I flipped it over my drain bucket. Most of the hot oil drained out. So, I put it back on the wheels. Repeated it 3x times. My engine hides oil in the nooks and crannies. I change it often enough not to worry about the few ounces left behind.
Plus, its a never change just add oil type of mower. Hogwash!

I see various oil capacities listed. My Operator manual lists 21 ounces. That amount puts the level almost 1 inch high on the dip stick. (I screw the dipstick in) Today I put in 16 ounces, ran the mower and checked it at the normal mark or at the upper end of the hash marks. Should I start at say 13 and gradually add by the ounce?
21 ounces is correct. The engine is not being completely drained.

How was the mower positioned when you used the drain plug, the TVS120 on my old Ariens wouldn't drain a drop when I had the front of the mower propped on a jackstand, but pretty much the whole sump drained one I set it flat.

How was the mower positioned when you used the drain plug, the TVS120 on my old Ariens wouldn't drain a drop when I had the front of the mower propped on a jackstand, but pretty much the whole sump drained one I set it flat.
I tilted the deck, removed the plug and let it drain until it stopped. Made sure it was level with my trusty "level'.

CAUTION: On most HONDA and LONCIN (TORO) H shaft engines you do NOT screw in the dipstick to check level you just sit the dipper in the hole w/o turning.

UPDATED FOR ACCURACY 220627-1129hrs

Last edited:
I hav e found that on the Tecumseh's you can't just put in oil, and then put the stick in and pull it out and have the proper reading. Usually I have to do that several times and each time the level will be lower than the last. Oil seems to not go down the dipstick tube into the sump fully. I believe 21 oz is right, but as others have said when changing it doesn't all come out. Usually about 18 oz will fill it full though. AND, a LITTLE over full won't hurt. I know some say better a little low than overfull, but, I have run my engines, both OPE, and vehicles a little overfull for ever, and never a problem.

I think most Tecumseh small engines you screw the the dip stick in to check the level.

My snowblower (Tecumseh) is the same way, it holds 21oz but it usually only takes 18 to get it full, so the OP is close. I also agree with trusting the dip stick, chances of that being from another engine are slim.

Just the opposite on my not most small engines.... screw in to check oil. Should be in the manual for reference.
That's a larger vertical shaft Tecumseh. I read some snapper mowers used these.

In my manual for a Toro (Lonchin) on a big snowthrower it explicitly states that you do not screw it in.
I have seen also Honda where you do not twist lock or screw in for check, Mexican and North America maybe you do.

If you are unsure, I install the service manual prescribed quantity of oil. After a couple uses when the oil gets colour I see where it reads cold and that is my fill reference.

Update - like where's waldo, but found in a tecumseh maual, Oil level check, you reinsert and screw in and withdraw to check level.

Last edited:
@SeaCarroll I think I would put the 21 ounces in and run it. Most applications I have seen say not to thread the dipstick in (my Kohler engine in my JD LT150 is an example, my Wen generator). If it you don't thread the dipstick in where is the oil mark on the dipstick?

Here is the image for my Wen generator. I can not find an image for my LT150, but it states in the manual not to screw the dipstick in.
oil level.jpg

just my $0.02

@SeaCarroll I think I would put the 21 ounces in and run it. Most applications I have seen say not to thread the dipstick in (my Kohler engine in my JD LT150 is an example, my Wen generator). If it you don't thread the dipstick in where is the oil mark on the dipstick?

Here is the image for my Wen generator. I can not find an image for my LT150, but it states in the manual not to screw the dipstick in.
View attachment 105594

just my $0.02
Those you usually fill to overflow. On my CHONDA gen I go with "almost overflow: to avoid a mess :)

Last edited:
Negative!
The exact opposite is the case unless it specifically states otherwise on the dipstick or in the owner's manual (rare).
Many HONDA and TORO H shafties you do not screw in.

I should never have said MOST - my mistake. I corrected it.

The point I am trying to make is IT DEPENDS and some manuals are not clear.
DO not assume. Do not go by google linked Youtube videos.

I experienced this rampant misinformation with my current batch of ODPE.

Here is a HONDA MANUAL example:

Back