tv signal amplifier,this one any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good low noise preamplifiers, with good strong signal handling capability, are expensive. That one is priced like junk, and almost certainly is.

Still, the loss in your feedline is the practical equivalent of adding noise in your system, so if that amp has a lower noise figure than the feedline loss, it might help some, assuming there is any signal at the antenna to amplify and some means of getting power to the preamp.

Last edited:
These are actually for satellite coax where the receiver is sending 24v up through the coax to power the LNB. They won't do anything for over the air reception.

You're better off investing in an outdoor rooftop antenna.

Amps will just amplify noise, if that is all the antenna is receiving and won't improve and in many times actually make the signal worse.

Originally Posted By: Win
Good low noise preamplifiers, with good strong signal handling capability, are expensive. That one is priced like junk, and almost certainly is.

Still, the loss in your feedline is the practical equivalent of adding noise in your system, so if that amp has a lower noise figure than the feedline loss, it might help some, assuming there is any signal at the antenna to amplify and some means of getting power to the preamp.

Agreed...skip the linked amp.

I had a pair of Winegard HDA-200 distribution amps in my loop, they have 24 dB gain with a noise figure of 4.5 dB. They list for about 70 and you can find them in the 40 dollar range.

Replaced both of them with these Kitz KT-200, 24 dB gain with a noise figure of .4 dB. Best reasonable price for a low noise amp I could find...short of blowing a small fortune on some professional Blonder Tongue stuff.

Kitz Tech Signal Boosters

To the OP...If you do decide to go with an outdoor antenna, then you will want a good quality pre amplifier instead of these signal distribution amps. A pre amplifier is installed right up top, next to the antenna where it can boost the signal before it picks up the noise that any length of Coax will add to the signal. Always best to boost the signal as close to the antenna as possible.

while searching ,i came across this one,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blonder-Tounge-2TA-25-1463-Broadband-TV-Signal-Amp-/230589706195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b037afd3 .Good?

Probably won't do any good without a proper antenna. Try www.antennaweb.org.

You can type your address in, and it will tell you exactly what you need to receive local channels.

That is from the Blonder residential line...you can buy it brand new direct from Blonder for about $26...full specs here...

Blonder Tongue ZTA-25

As you can see it has a pretty high noise figure for a distribution amp...it may help you it may not. IME, it is better to spend a little more and get a good clean pre or distribution amp, I have more than a few of these $20-$40 range amps around here to testify that they aren't that good. The noise figure in dB for a signal amp is every bit as important as the gain figure in dB.

Have you decided whether you are going to try to stick with the inside antenna or buy an outdoor antenna? I ask because the links youdontwannaknow posted are great resources...for an outdoor an antenna, the CM-7777 is universally well reviewed as a good mast mounted outdoor pre-amplifier. Some in more moderate climates can mast mount a Kitz or Winegard in a weather proof enclosure. In playing with these antennas and amps you will find some antennas prefer some amps and others not so much...you have to play around with things.

i live on the lower floor of a 2-story bldg. There's another 2-story bldg in the direction where the stations' antennas are.There's no easy access to the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back