Turtle Wax Zip wash/wax...garbage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the need to write a short post about this product. First of all, I am not a Turtle Wax hater. They make some excellent products, some of which I use very regularly. I purchased the Zip wash/wax since I was running low on my "cheap" wash (that I use for wheels and tires). I use Chemical guys synthetic wash/wax for the rest of the car.

As soon as I started washing the wheels with the Zip wash/wax I immediately noticed the lack of suds, and how badly the wheel brush was dragging against the paint. In short order there were very few suds, as if I was washing with water only. I ended up using the Zip wash/wax on the car body too, just to try out the new product. Again, very disappointing. The wash mitt drug against the paint, hardly any lubricity. It also took much more effort to wash off bugs and other contaminates from the paint. Something else worth noting is how much wax it removed from one wash. It was obvious the water beading properties had been compromised.

Long story short I was incredibly let down by the performance or lack there of of this product. I through the whole jug away.

I usually just use a household detergent on wheels and tires, then switch to a quality car wash soap like Meguiars for the paint.

The price it's sold at should tell you something......The only thing cheaper at my Walmart than this product is Walmart"s own brand.

supertech makes a car wash? lol!!!

Hard to beat Meguiars gold class for value. good suds, lubrisity, doesnt strip the wax, and low cost.

I agree. I've been using Optimum car wash for the last 6 yrs but recently purchased a jug of Turtle wax wash for my son and found the same thing, hardly any suds at all.
I use to use it exclusively until I discovered the Optimum and I don't ever remember it being this shi**y? It's like they lowered the quality of it, imo?

Last edited:
Have you tried others though?

I love the Optimum I'm using as it is night and day different to the TW. Very little goes a looong way! I recently used the TW on my dirtier than normal Ram and I couldn't believe how much I needed to get some decent suds?

Maybe I am just use to the Optimum now, but like I mentioned about, I don't ever recall the TW being this shi**y.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Ive tried a ton of car wash products...and always end up back at Megs Gold Class.

I've read great things about it but have never used it.

When I belonged to a couple car detailing sites, the Optimum was highly recommended. Not saying it's the best because I have no clue if it currently is or not, but I will definitely continue to purchase/use it.

Here's a description of it and where it reads to use 0.5 oz. Like I mentioned, it goes a looong ways.
https://www.oldetownautospa.ca/coll...8-oz?_pos=4&_sid=7c2cd7dff&_ss=r

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
The price it's sold at should tell you something......The only thing cheaper at my Walmart than this product is Walmart"s own brand.

ON EDIT-

It's not SuperTech. But a no name brand. They carry it in an "Armour All" type product, leather cleaner wipes, and some other products. Appears to be a "house brand" but not labeled SuperTech. Red/White labels.

So yea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CKN

ON EDIT-

It's not SuperTech. But a no name brand. They carry it in an "Armour All" type product, leather cleaner wipes, and some other products. Appears to be a "house brand" but not labeled SuperTech. Red/White labels.

So yea.

If it's being sold at Walmart, it's probably garbage.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Ive tried a ton of car wash products...and always end up back at Megs Gold Class.
I usually use the blue stuff from walmart, its a wash and wax product, not sure what brand though. Again, I only use the cheap stuff for the wheels. The rest of the car gets Chemical guys currently. I will probably pick up the Gold Class for the wheels.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda

Hard to beat Meguiars gold class for value. good suds, lubrisity, doesnt strip the wax, and low cost.

+1 Gold Class is well worth the price over cheap wah products.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Originally Posted by danez_yoda

+1 Gold Class is well worth the price over cheap wash products.

Just checking the prices, I noticed the Optimum is basically priced the same. Twice the cost but twice the amount with Optimum. Other than likely having to purchase it on line, I am real curious which product is better? Like I mentioned, very little is needed for a full bucket of suds.
https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-car-wash.html
https://www.theartofcleanliness.com/automotive/best-car-wash-shampoo/

I didn't know they still made that stuff. I remember people using it when I was a kid in the mid 1970s.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
My favorite is still Eagle One Nano Wash and Wax.

This stuff is great. I bought a bunch at Pep Boys on heavy discount a little over a year ago, so I'd have plenty to last me if they stopped making it. It never disappoints.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
The jug of Zip wax we are using is fine, not sure why someone else would have a problem.

Water quality can make a difference. I have hard water that seems to kill suds somewhat, so I end up using more soap no matter the brand of product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back