Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene

Decided to spend some extra money and try Turtle Wax's spray-on graphene product. Was cheaper to buy straight from TW with free shipping than from Amazon or a local retailer, but still is a $20+ product. Most frustrating/worthless car detailing product I've ever used and I've been using sprays and paste waxes for 20+ years.

About a month ago, I used it on my 2015 Kia Sedona. I do a clay bar at least once a year, but this application was the standard hand wash/rinse/dry then apply the sealer/wax. Paint is in good condition for a 6 year old car, I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to detailing. It streaked horribly despite following the instructions and being very careful not to use too much. Streaking was a complaint of mine with the TW hybrid-ceramic product, but was never this bad. I chalked it up to detailing in the late-September sun, and figured the streaking would fade after a rain or two. I was right about the streaking disappearing (it did), but so did the protection! It shined up well (if you could look past the streaks) but only beaded water about three weeks.

I decided to give it a second shot now that it's almost mid-november and we had a decent 65 degree day without full sun. Applied it to my '07 Pacifica after a thorough wash & dry and evidently the streaking was not weather/sun related or a fluke. Absolutely awful to apply the stuff. It sort of smears on-- they tell you to only use a couple squirts per panel, well that's not very helpful considering the product doesn't flow across the panel well at all when you go to rub it in-- no lubricative properties at all. So if you go by the recommended two squirts, you'll have blotches and places where no product is applied. I was very careful at the beginning, but found it was near impossible to wipe the product/residue off so as to eliminate the streaks. I feel the effort required to get the streaks off would be more damaging to the finish than not waxing the car at all. I finally threw in the towel (quite literally) and treated it as a spray on wax, wipe on & wipe off (with clean towel) affair, streaks be ****ed. It shines good is all I can say. What really gets my goat, is when you run your hand across the paint after application, there's no smooth finish-- it feels like you just ran dawn dish detergent all over the car. The smooth finish is what gives me the satisfaction of a job well done, not so with this product.

I've had very good luck with Turtle Wax spray-on products lately, their Hybrid Solutions Ceramic and Ice Seal & Shine have been favorites of mine since they came out. The HS ceramic does tend to leave streaks (not terrible, mostly on the hood), but they're gone after the first rain shower, but leaves a super slick finish that gives me at least 3-4 months protection before the car starts to get dirty. The Ice Seal & Shine might not be as durable as the ceramic formula, but it goes on super easy, and still lasts a few months of good water beading, which keeps dirt and stuff from sticking in my experience.

The graphene stuff is a total fail IMO. Curious if anyone has had any luck with this stuff? Sadly I bought some of their paste "graphene" sealer/wax at the same time, I hope that works better than this spray-on stuff.

I'd cut and paste your post into a letter directly to TW. You are clearly not some amateur, so it might be interesting to see what they say or do?

I wash weekly and have been using it for several weeks (was previously using Chemical Guys sealant/spray) and noticed streaking on my windows that I didn't experience with Chemical Guys. To help with the window streaking, I wipe them down first and then use the product on the rest of the vehicle; the paint is very slick and looks good. My vehicles are either white or silver and because of that, may not be the best to compare against.

I use it all the time. You just need to dry it off with a microfiber. No streaking, no issue. Insane beading. Gorgeous shine. Works super well on wheels, too. The Graphene paste is even better.
Wonder if I got a bad batch, who knows. I use microfiber towels exclusively (except for maybe glass) for car detailing. I might give it another go on another vehicle, but as far as I'm concerned three strikes and it's headed for the garbage, it was that frustrating.

FWIW the two vehicles I used it on are dark burgundy and black. Might try my white car next.

Wonder if I got a bad batch, who knows. I use microfiber towels exclusively (except for maybe glass) for car detailing. I might give it another go on another vehicle, but as far as I'm concerned three strikes and it's headed for the garbage, it was that frustrating.

FWIW the two vehicles I used it on are dark burgundy and black. Might try my white car next.
That certainly is possible. I use a big fluffy microfiber that soaks water up well and buffs the paint and windows well, so maybe that helps. Also, I think it streaks less when you rinse it with a pressure washer and rinse it VERY well. I did notice more streaking with just a regular hose nozzle. I think it needs a good blast to spread it around. I also shake the hell out of the bottle before spraying. I always do that with spray waxes, and I mean A LOT.

My two vehicles are bright red and dark blue which is nearly black.

That certainly is possible. I use a big fluffy microfiber that soaks water up well and buffs the paint and windows well, so maybe that helps. Also, I think it streaks less when you rinse it with a pressure washer and rinse it VERY well. I did notice more streaking with just a regular hose nozzle. I think it needs a good blast to spread it around. I also shake the hell out of the bottle before spraying. I always do that with spray waxes, and I mean A LOT.

My two vehicles are bright red and dark blue which is nearly black.
Which method on the bottle are you following? I chose the base coat which is how I've applied most every spray wax-- starting with a dry car, spray then wipe, wait till it hazes, the buff it off with a clean microfiber towel. Problem is it doesn't spread well, and when you buff it, it won't wipe off; that was my experience.

There's also instructions toward the bottom "time savers" I think they call it where you can apply it while the car is wet and then dry. The alternative instruction is to apply it during rinse and then dry afterwards. Curious how others are doing it...

Thanks for the review. I already know what detailers like about a product and now I know what they don't about this Graphene product. I won't be trying the "NEW" Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene.

I am happy thus far with the TW Seal & Shine and I'm calling it a day. I like the S&S because it's(to me) a easy to use spray on "detailer" that I can use after each washing or just now & again if I so chose. However, I do have several other le$$er expensive products that I can use after each washing in order to keep the paint looking great therefore, keeping the S&S for that, 4-5X/year product.

Which method on the bottle are you following? I chose the base coat which is how I've applied most every spray wax-- starting with a dry car, spray then wipe, wait till it hazes, the buff it off with a clean microfiber towel. Problem is it doesn't spread well, and when you buff it, it won't wipe off; that was my experience.

There's also instructions toward the bottom "time savers" I think they call it where you can apply it while the car is wet and then dry. The alternative instruction is to apply it during rinse and then dry afterwards. Curious how others are doing it...
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I've only done it dry once. It turned out great, but since then, I've gone to doing it wet and drying with the thick microfiber.

I hit it with the Graphene paste last March, I believe, and then use the spray Flexwax as a maintainer when I wash it. I'm due for another round of paste, but that's probably overkill, as this stuff seems to be pretty durable.

The more I think about it, the more I think spreading it with a power washer is the key. I don't think the garden hose pressure moves it around enough.

If this doesn't work for you, the regular Hybrid Solutions version works great when applied to a wet car. With it, you spray it on, then dry it. No hosing.

Try the Flexwax with high pressure spray and dry with a thick microfiber and see how it does. Don't forget to shake the hell out of it before applying. I also don't let it sit. I spray, then blast that panel before moving to the next. I use it on the windows, too. No streaking there, either, and it sheds water better than Rain-X.

Here's the other I was talking about. Works well, too!

c7c5e353-932f-4013-999f-3837627137b7_600x600.jpg

Thanks for the review. I already know what detailers like about a product and now I know what they don't about this Graphene product. I won't be trying the "NEW" Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene.

I am happy thus far with the TW Seal & Shine and I'm calling it a day. I like the S&S because it's(to me) a easy to use spray on "detailer" that I can use after each washing or just now & again if I so chose. However, I do have several other le$$er expensive products that I can use after each washing in order to keep the paint looking great therefore, keeping the S&S for that, 4-5X/year product.
Btw, I agree. I think Seal N Shine is the best value out there, period. Between the price, shine, and how long it lasts, it really can't be touched. It does exceptionally well on black plastics, rubber, and plastic light lenses, too. No downside to it. And they put the great smell into it now, along with UV protection.

Is a glass sealant like Griots better to use on a windshield or can you use the same ceramic wax you use on the paint...

Is a glass sealant like Griots better to use on a windshield or can you use the same ceramic wax you use on the paint...

I've never used Griots, so I can't compare. But I've been using Turtle Wax Ice and Hybrid Solutions Ceramic products on the windshield and side windows for years and they're great. I even used the new graphene paste wax on the windshield. It sheds water better than even the original formula Rain-X did. (Not sure what they did to Rain-X, but it ain't the same stuff it used to be. Not even close.)

I've never used Griots, so I can't compare. But I've been using Turtle Wax Ice and Hybrid Solutions Ceramic products on the windshield and side windows for years and they're great. I even used the new graphene paste wax on the windshield. It sheds water better than even the original formula Rain-X did. (Not sure what they did to Rain-X, but it ain't the same stuff it used to be. Not even close.)
Never had luck with rainx...way too much wiper chatter...How often do you apply it on the windshield??? and any issues with wiper chatter???Thanks

Never had luck with rainx...way too much wiper chatter...How often do you apply it on the windshield??? and any issues with wiper chatter???Thanks
I apply every time I wax. Side and rear window, too. Probably overkill, but I like how clear they are once buffed out.

I have used the wet wax products almost every time I wash.

A guy with a classic car told me that he went from winning 2nd and 3rd place all the time at shows to getting first more often after using car wax on his windshield and windows, just due to the clarity it produces. So I started doing it. The Rain-X effect was a bonus. And I replace wipers every 5 or 6 months, anyway, so it hasn't seemed to have any negative effect on them, either.

I remember Rain-X building up on wipers and causing a haze as they wiped and reducing their effectiveness. And that was with the original Rain-X that actually performed better. I didn't notice that with the newer formula, but I did notice it didn't shed the water as well, either. So I think somewhere along the lines they changed the formula. And when I say original, I'm going way back to the 80's when I was a teenager. I was learning to fly at 16 years old and they used it on the windshields of our planes, so I tried it on my car and it was great until it built up on the wipers. I still used it for a few years, later moving it to only the side windows and then abandoning it altogether. I tried it again about 8 or 9 years ago and immediately saw that it didn't perform as well or last as long, so I gave up on it again quickly. The additive they put in their bug juice doesn't do much, so I'm guessing it is the newer formula, as well. I do like their juice for bugs, though, so I still use it in the summer.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I've only done it dry once. It turned out great, but since then, I've gone to doing it wet and drying with the thick microfiber.

I hit it with the Graphene paste last March, I believe, and then use the spray Flexwax as a maintainer when I wash it. I'm due for another round of paste, but that's probably overkill, as this stuff seems to be pretty durable.

The more I think about it, the more I think spreading it with a power washer is the key. I don't think the garden hose pressure moves it around enough.

If this doesn't work for you, the regular Hybrid Solutions version works great when applied to a wet car. With it, you spray it on, then dry it. No hosing.

Try the Flexwax with high pressure spray and dry with a thick microfiber and see how it does. Don't forget to shake the hell out of it before applying. I also don't let it sit. I spray, then blast that panel before moving to the next. I use it on the windows, too. No streaking there, either, and it sheds water better than Rain-X.

Here's the other I was talking about. Works well, too!
This is very helpful, I'll try the other application methods next time I do a wash. If I can get a decent shine and protection just spreading it around with a power washer & then dry, I'll be thrilled.

I used the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro to The Max Wax Graphene Liquid Wax on my new Jaguar. I had asked the dealer not to apply any type of wax or sealant before delivery. I washed and clay barred the paint and then applied the TW product according to directions. I had no problems with streaking. A couple of weeks later I washed the car again and then applied a coat of Turtle Wax Pro Graphene Flex Wax. The only problem I encountered there was I probably used too much and the paint had a slightly oily surface like the wax had not fully cured. You could wipe your finger across the surface and see a streak. That went away after the next wash.

In both cases I applied the product on a dry surface after washing and drying the car and used thick MF towels to buff off.

The car looks great, and beads up very well when I rinse before washing. I have no complaints. On my Mazda CX 5 I have been using the TW Seal & Shine on top of a base coat of Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax and that also works very well. Both cars are garaged and not subject to harsh weather conditions so I expect pretty long life of the products before they need total renewing.

I do agree that the TW Seal & Shine is really good stuff to apply every few wash cycles. It does a great job in maintaining the surface with gloss and water beading and makes removing bug splats and other contaminants very easy, like they just won't stick to it.

I used the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro to The Max Wax Graphene Liquid Wax on my new Jaguar. I had asked the dealer not to apply any type of wax or sealant before delivery. I washed and clay barred the paint and then applied the TW product according to directions. I had no problems with streaking. A couple of weeks later I washed the car again and then applied a coat of Turtle Wax Pro Graphene Flex Wax. The only problem I encountered there was I probably used too much and the paint had a slightly oily surface like the wax had not fully cured. You could wipe your finger across the surface and see a streak. That went away after the next wash.

In both cases I applied the product on a dry surface after washing and drying the car and used thick MF towels to buff off.

The car looks great, and beads up very well when I rinse before washing. I have no complaints. On my Mazda CX 5 I have been using the TW Seal & Shine on top of a base coat of Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax and that also works very well. Both cars are garaged and not subject to harsh weather conditions so I expect pretty long life of the products before they need total renewing.

I do agree that the TW Seal & Shine is really good stuff to apply every few wash cycles. It does a great job in maintaining the surface with gloss and water beading and makes removing bug splats and other contaminants very easy, like they just won't stick to it.

Back