Turning around the Titanic

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Big news out of California, as Diablo Canyon is now going to be extended to 2030. Hopefully, further legislation can be enacted to extend the plant further, as it is relatively young as far as big nukes go. Diablo Canyon is the last operating NPP in California and provides ~15% of their low emissions electricity.

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 2.29.18 PM.jpg

This gives us hope here in Ontario for saving Pickering. It has unfortunately come several years too late for SONGS, which is already being decommissioned.

Yep. We understand a multi-faceted approach offers the best solution. Why people think there is only a single answer and everything else is evil is beyond me. Better late than never.
CA is also looking into more desalination plants to help with out droughts, even though it is freakin' expensive. Heck, last I heard there is a pretty big body of water not to far west of here...

Common sense maybe?

Yep. We understand a multi-faceted approach offers the best solution. Why people think there is only a single answer and everything else is evil is beyond me. Better late than never.
CA is also looking into more desalination plants to help with out droughts, even though it is freakin' expensive. Heck, last I heard there is a pretty big body of water not to far west of here...

Common sense maybe?
Yeah, was a total shame SONGS was decom'd, both it and Diablo Canyon are prime candidates for doing desal.

Common sense maybe?
Using the Royal We? or who are you referring to because I think many of the sheeple dont understand.

Using the Royal We? or who are you referring to because I think many of the sheeple dont understand.
I am not sure what you are saying, but in CA we understand. There are always the "my way or the highway" people, but CA isn't the 4th or 5th largest economy in the world by accident. "sheeple" is not part of my vocabulary; I think it means "easily led", but that sure ain't CA. CA leads the world in just about everything.

Last edited:
This decision was made because the powers in charge realized that their dream agenda was not going to cut it. Business and industry want a consistent stable power supply. This is a step in the right decision but more has to be done.

For all the CA experts out there, perhaps you might like to know the timeline for the Diablo Canyon decision.

California regulators in 2018 approved a plan to retire Diablo Canyon, the state’s last nuclear plant, by 2024 and 2025. However, stakeholders have more recently been exploring the potential benefits of keeping the plant open beyond that timeframe – last year, researchers at Stanford University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology published a report concluding that California could reduce power sector emissions by 10% from 2017 levels and save $2.6 billion by keeping the plant online through 2035.

I am not sure what you are saying, but in CA we understand. There are always the "my way or the highway" people, but CA isn't the 4th or 5th largest economy in the world by accident. "sheeple" is not part of my vocabulary; I think it means "easily led", but that sure ain't CA. CA leads the world in just about everything.
Including most expensive to live!

Cali actually did something halfway smart for once?
Actually it's what they didn't do. Which was something stupid. The plant was already built, up and running. They wanted to close it as part of their, "green agenda", because they hate nuclear power.

But even they realized that it was a stupid move to do so. And it would only come back to bite them, just like it did in Germany. So they didn't behave as stupidly. Don't count on that type of action or behaviour to continue.

Actually it's what they didn't do. Which was something stupid. The plant was already built, up and running. They wanted to close it as part of their, "green agenda", because they hate nuclear power.

But even they realized that it was a stupid move to do so. And it would only come back to bite them, just like it did in Germany. So they didn't behave as stupidly. Don't count on that type of action or behaviour to continue.
Well, yes, but they also made the decision to keep it open for now, which is smart. ;)

I will give kudos out where needed even to a place like Cali.

Including most expensive to live!
We must ask why? The central valley isn't that expensive compared to the San Francisco Bay area . The Peninsula and some places in Marin county are what is expensive

The State has agriculture, ocean ports Silicon Valley, financial centers manufacturing , all the stuff that goes with having a coast and mountains lakes and reservoirs. I remember going water skiing at Lake Berryessa and seeing cars going Snow skiing. For a couple of years inbetween real employment I drove truck out of the Teamsters local from the Bay Area to the Los Angles San Diego areas and it is very busy as well. The Los Angles basin is a huge business area. With all the goodies The SF bay area has.

One who has benefited by the incredible opportunity here. I
Can be said of the other 49 states as well! All have pluses and minuses as you well know. I love my home state of N.C. as well and wouldn’t move to Californicate if I was given a house to live in….or tent or tarp to live under on a sidewalk :poop:or druggie infested park. I have 2 beautiful mountain ranges ( Great Smoky and Blue Ridge ) just west of me and the Atlantic Ocean just east of me and 4 distinct seasons which I love as well so I can jet ski in the summer and snow ski in the winter! Charlotte, N.C. is second only to NYC as a banking/business hub in the U.S.A. Cost of living in N.C. is low and the quality of living is high!(y)

Leads the way in hypocrisy and government waste. 1/3 of the power is purchased from out of state. All they are doing is making the documents look good, no real impact on the actual environment. NIMBY is the CA motto.

We must ask why? The central valley isn't that expensive compared to the San Francisco Bay area . The Peninsula and some places in Marin county are what is expensive
My cousins live in the San Diego area. When they come to visit they tell me a house like mine would go for $800k to $1 million. I live in a modest house of 1500 SF and less than a 1/4 acre of land. I paid a very small fraction of that. That blew my mind.

Back