Tungsten Disulfide (Wolfram Disulfide)

Quit trolling. I know. I am special here and have made some haters who have nothing to do but comment or attack me. I hope you enjoy wasting your time attacking my posts or comments since you have nothing to do but give me that special attention.

I have positive experience with using colloidal additives, including WS2, in industrial gearboxes. Until there is a failure, and normal failure time interval has not occurred yet, usually 7000 hours like clockwork... with some running double interval already, with initial fill only.

Sine the OP will be responsible for any failures, that is the only thing that he needs to consider... if the diff fails prior to recycling of the vehicle.

I think the issue we have here is too many fall in line with the 'norm' of being stuck inside their little box and normalcy and never attempt to do anything else. Others want to see if they can improve or maybe not improve..... but are at least trying something different.

Special? When people drag out the "hate" or "haters" term that tells you all you need to know. It has nothing to do with feelings at all, that's the point. It has to do with facts and here we arrive at the problem again.

I don't hate you or attack you but if you see it that way then it explains much.

It's amazing what some people think passes for "science"
1615331425697.jpg

Quit trolling. I know. I am special here and have made some haters who have nothing to do but comment or attack me. I hope you enjoy wasting your time attacking my posts or comments since you have nothing to do but give me that special attention.

I have positive experience with using colloidal additives, including WS2, in industrial gearboxes. Until there is a failure, and normal failure time interval has not occurred yet, usually 7000 hours like clockwork... with some running double interval already, with initial fill only.

Sine the OP will be responsible for any failures, that is the only thing that he needs to consider... if the diff fails prior to recycling of the vehicle.

I think the issue we have here is too many fall in line with the 'norm' of being stuck inside their little box and normalcy and never attempt to do anything else. Others want to see if they can improve or maybe not improve..... but are at least trying something different.

I have run Liqui-Moly Molygen in my motor and it contains WS2 and moly so I am am happy to be out of the box but I have returned to a oil with a high concentration of moly only and I seem to be getting better results. Unless the product has been developed and tested I wouldn't be adding anything to my transmission, gearbox or diff.

Not gear oil but Ravenol's motor oils contain tungsten that they are happy to advertise as an advantage....

Why would a company that mfgs. and sells the product advise against its use in engine oil and gear oil?
Where did you saw that "advise against"?
MoS2 is supposed to be the better of the two for an oil additive, it had fallen out of suspension.
It's the other way around, MoS2 is cheaper, not better. Also, was that nano sized additive - those are pretty new.

Where did you saw that "advise against"?

It's the other way around, MoS2 is cheaper, not better. Also, was that nano sized additive - those are pretty new.
"Advise against" came from a supplier and manufacturer of "nano" MoS2 and WS2. Yes MoS2 is cheaper I know that, I bought both for coating bullets. According to them the better of the two for an oil additive was MoS2, it doesn't fall out of suspension as fast, with the caveat that a soluble [?] Moly like the oil companies use is much better in oil than MoS2. The [?] indicates the exact name of the moly the oil companies use and their terminology slips my mind at the moment. But I am crystal clear on what they told me and why regarding the other two products in question. They had no reason to lie, nor were they trying to sell me anything. In fact they send me over a pound of "nano" HBN to try for coating bullets. IIRC people have played around with that as an oil additive too, I think it is used in Ceratec.

Search the forum and see if you can find @Trav pictures of MoS2 collected in his oil pan, shortly after driving the car to get it in place to drop the oil pan. Others posted similar pictures of it falling out of suspension and collecting in the bottom of their oil pans.

FTR if anyone thinks I'm a hater of the product, they're wrong. The products have their place, I'm sharing what I learned because the topic was posted on the forum for discussion.

Moly DTC @demarpaint

Someone might like to discuss this study:

Last edited:
Moly DTC @demarpaint

Someone might like to discuss this study:

That "someone" won't be me. Interesting topic though!

As I see, Redline has a product that has similar solid lubricants in suspension, with "metal affinity":
So the big oil blenders are using this new technology too.

40% lower coefficient of friction and 250% of the load carrying capacity of conventional gear oils

Unique lubricant with solid microscopic particles offers low drag/high protection
Relatively low viscosity, yet cushions gear teeth under extreme pressure
Helps to prevent tooth breakage, resists throw-off
Avoid use with pumps, coolers and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging
Designed for wet sump transmissions and differentials with splash lubrication

Last edited:
I didn't see MoS2 of WS2 mentioned. Maybe I missed it?
They say "Unique lubricant with solid microscopic particles offers low drag/high protection."
Also "Avoid use with pumps, coolers and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging".

They don't say what solid lubricant it is exactly. "Trade secret". But there are not too many on the market, MoS2, WS2 or Hexagonal boron nitride (hBN).
hBN compounds do not easily bond to contacting surfaces, due to their low affinity to most surfaces, so is not that.

Also, Motul has one gear oil reinforced with molybdenum bisulphide (MoS2):
Motul 80W90

Last edited:
They say "Unique lubricant with solid microscopic particles offers low drag/high protection."
Also "Avoid use with pumps, coolers and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging".

They don't say what solid lubricant it is exactly. "Trade secret". But there are not too many on the market, MoS2, WS2 or Hexagonal boron nitride (hBN).
hBN compounds do not easily bond to contacting surfaces, due to their low affinity to most surfaces, so is not that.

Also, Motul has one gear oil reinforced with molybdenum bisulphide (MoS2):
Motul 80W90
What they said reads like any other advertisement from an oil company. Like I said earlier. You asked in an open forum, and several of us shared thoughts, opinions, experiences, and findings. Pretty much what you asked for, although you don't seem to agree. Maybe RL's trade secret is something totally different, imo if it was MoS2 or WS2 they'd say it. I'd say at this point try it and let use know how it works for you, it seems you have made up your mind.

Well, once it clings on the iron it can be dry or wet, so who cares?
It's a thin layer between two metals... At high pressure, when the liquid film breaks, all it remains is dry friction.

But yeah, I see what you are saying... Anyway, where is that liquid used in?
Anywhere you want an oil soluble anti-oxidant, friction reducer, anti-wear compound.

The last time I had it analyzed it was micrometer size calcium carbonates in suspension.

Back