Trying not to get ripped off at the dealer. Brake rotors when to know if you really need em?

Here's my rule of thumb: The best way not to get ripped off from a dealer is not to go to a dealer for service, only for warranty work, and an occasional OE part if it can't be sourced anywhere else. When I buy a new car I tell the dealer they can keep the free oil changes too, if they offer them. Flame suit on.................
I'll go one step further, if one does or learns to do it themselves for out of warranty repairs, getting ripped off would rest on that individual for parts purchases only.

If the OP is in NY then theres a really good chance that the inboard surface of the rotor (which is hard to see) has some rust creep on the surface that has advanced into the pad friction area. Unless the inner surface is rust free (unlikely) then a pad slap will mean the inboard pads get used up on the edges and you lose a small amount of braking capacity (likely not noticeable)

I have re-used the rotors in the past on my 98 1/2 ton Silverado with no ill results but these days if I'm doing disk brakes, I'm also replacing the rotors. Using all new on a disc brake job usually means less issues down the road. I have re-used drums before if there is no ridge.

Back