Trying Idemitsu Racing 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I ordered and bought a whole case of Idemitsu Racing 5W-30
smile.gif
, actually using it on my stock daily driven 1998 Toyota Camry 4cyl 5speed, been using basically only Royal Purple every 2500-3500 miles on the car since i bought it. Search through the forum, and basically didn't find anyone that has tried this oil althrough there was a virgin sample analysis (someone emailed Idemitsu asking if it was ok to use on a daily driver and they said its good). Its suppose to be the #1 Japanese Lube
grin.gif
Their website is

http://www.idemitsu-usa.com

I got the oil for about $9.50 a quart after shipping/tax. So I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm trying it and I'll let you guys know later how it turns out.

-

-

-

-

PS: I never got to try GC because everytime/everywhere i look for it, there's never any...thanks to you GC hoarding...

Wow, unless engine wear goes to zero, I can't imagine justifying oil that's nearly $10 per quart.

I thought M1 was expensive...let us know how it works out. Planning on a UOA?

welcome.gif

I hope it works well for you...that is a price I would reserve only for an oil of Elvish origin, but I hope you get great results.
cheers.gif

Looks very similar to Kendall coloring/word layout. I refuse to more than $4 quart for GC, Mobil-1 or Pennzoil Platinum. Unless you plan on keeping the vehicle for 700K, I don't understand why you would pay that price for a quart of oil.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I ordered and bought a whole case of Idemitsu Racing 5W-30 , actually using it on my stock daily driven 1998 Toyota Camry 4cyl 5speed, been using basically only Royal Purple every 2500-3500 miles on the car since i bought it. Search through the forum, and basically didn't find anyone that has tried this oil althrough there was a virgin sample analysis (someone emailed Idemitsu asking if it was ok to use on a daily driver and they said its good). Its suppose to be the #1 Japanese Lube Their website is

http://www.idemitsu-usa.com

I got the oil for about $9.50 a quart after shipping/tax. So I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm trying it and I'll let you guys know later how it turns out.

PS: I never got to try GC because everytime/everywhere i look for it, there's never any...thanks to you GC hoarding...

Do you have a link for the VOA?

If your gonna pay that much, at least go with a known brand (motul, amsoil, etc). ****, I got the motul e-tech for $7/L, but at least it was specially formulated for my vehicle (VW W8) and it's a true synthetic. Why such a high price for an unknown?

the VOA link is

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000355#000000

i wouldn't consider Idemitsu an unknown, they're huge, just not very well known out of asia, i know that honda and many others use their oil as OEM (check http://asia.vtec.net/topics/oil1.html) i basically wanted to be different and use a japanese product for my japanese car

also check out, http://www.idemitsu-ils.com.sg/products/f_products.htm

it lists: WORLD MAJOR OEM'S CUSTOMERS

Afla-Romeo, Audi, BMW, Citroen, Daihatsu, Daimler-Chrysler, Ferrari, Fiat,
Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Isuzu, Jaguar, Kia, Lotus, Mazda, Mitsubishi,
Nissan, Opel, Peugeot, Porsche, Proton, Renault, Rolls-Royce,
Rover, Saab, Toyota, etc.

I hope you are aware of two things:

1. OEM fill for Honda North America is Exxon/Mobil

2. This Japanese product is made by Apollo America (a blender) in Jeffersonville, IN with a license agreement with Idemitsu.

I also am not sure about this product being a PAO/ESTER blend or a pure PAO. I read a report somewhere that it appeared to be a Group III synthetic.

Please keep us posted on your results. It will be interesting to see how this product performs.

And as others have said,
welcome.gif
to BITOG.

Idemitsu has a huge reputation in "Rotary" circles (!)

It is factory fill in all Mazda rotary engines - not exactly an easy gig!
doc

Their web site lists this 5w-30 oil as a "synthetic", while their "Racing Rotary Engine Oil 10W-30" product is labeled as a "full synthetic". Makes me think the oil you purchased is a Group III.

Regardless of it's composition, I'd be interested to see a UOA of the oil...any plans for that?

I think its great that somebody is trying something new for once. I'm the same way. It won't kill your engine. It'll probably be great...but we'll find out if it justifies the price.

Just wanted to let everyone know, i put the oil in like 2 weeks ago and ran about 500 miles on it already and want to say the engine feels stronger and smoother with it especially at the higher rpms. I used a K&N oil filter with it, my previous oil was Royal Purple 5w-30. As for the UOA, since i already spent so much on the oil, i'm hesistent to pay another 20+ dollars for a UOA, but if anyone is really interested enough to be willing to pay for it, i'll be happy to do it.

Glad to see someone have the guts to get rid of the GermanCastrol-bandwagon. Only a few people here seem to have the guts/knowledge, to try something new. Thank you Makaveli7, for sharing your experience with a new product. I mean, when you have red 60000 articles of GC, the excitement is a bit lower than when you read the first. Also tired of hearing that mineral-oil can cure anything, including canser and an empty wallet. Get a life, try something new once and a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back