Trying a new gun lube, Aeroshell Fluid 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got some Aeroshell Fluid 18 since the CLP stash was getting low. So far I've tried it out on the AK at the last rifle match. The AK worked, but than again it always does.

Fluid 18 seems to have stayed wet longer than Breakfree CLP did, although it's a thinner oil. Although it's not marketed as a cleaner, I noticed that Fluid 18 did soften carbon and allow fouling to be wiped away.

At this point I'm pretty happy with the Fluid 18. I'm also happy that it's about 1/2 the cost of CLP. I got mine here: http://www.shellaviationstore.com/order/...=&show=asp_menu

Specs from the Aeroshell book are posted below. BSW
fluid19.jpg

Last edited:
That is very thin oil. BF is ~14cSt @ 40C. I wonder how much AW it has in it.

This is a mineral oil as apposed to the PAO/ester of BF.

I don't mean that in a snotty and obnoxious way , like the way it probably came across ...

Sorry .

I just like the thicker stuff , especially in the warmer weather .

Originally Posted By: CITYSLICKER
I don't mean that in a snotty and obnoxious way , like the way it probably came across ...

Sorry .

I just like the thicker stuff , especially in the warmer weather .

I didn't take it that way.

If the Aeroshell stays wet instead of drying out like I've often seen CLP do, I'd rate that as being better. I figure I'd rather have a thinner oil that doesn't evaporate over a slightly thicker oil/solvent mix that disappears. BSW

Update.

So far I've switched both AKs and ARs over to Fluid 18, as well as my Ruger MkII. I don't have a high round count yet on anything.

Seems to be keeping the AKs wet so far as they've been stored for the past 3 weeks. I have a match coming up next weekend and will get some more quality trigger time then.

As far as the ARs go, after about 60 rounds the Fluid 18 was burned off the bolt tail but was still present in the rest of the receiver. Both rifles looked pretty much the same.

I shot a match yesterday with the MkII. I went thru about 160 rounds and the Fluid 18 stayed liquid. I did notice that it was keeping powder fouling in suspension while I was shooting.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back