"TruFuel" worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it was on sale pretty cheap I picked a couple of 32oz cans up of their 40:1 premix gas. In general do you guys think its worth it for a home owner type application? It'll see use in a leaf blower and a single stage snowblower with a standard residential driveway. No idea what my annual consumption may be but I've always had left over mix to use up before it went bad...

I just got some for my single stage snowblower too. It was $4.49 for 32 ounce. Not sure how much I'll use but I like the fact it doesn't go bad

I think it all depends on how often you use 2 cycle equipment. I recommend it to a lot of my small engine customers who rarely use their equipment. It eliminates their problems with ethanol fuels and doesn't cost them much more for fuel. These are people who have a weed trimmer and maybe leaf blower.

I don't use it simply because I go through too much 2 cycle fuel. We have 2 chainsaws at my house, a gas leaf blower, pole saw, 2 weed trimmers, and a single stage snow thrower that I use for sidewalks.

If you don't go through much fuel, the cost is definitely worth it in my opinion.

It's great for equipment that's used infrequently like my chainsaw and leaf blower, and for winter storage in my trimmer and cultivator.

It's certainly not economical for people that use a lot, but my 2-stroke consumption is minimal, and I love how my chainsaw starts right up even on the coldest days when I need it to clear a downed tree.

This year I went through two gallons of 91 octane E0 mixed with Stihl's oil and stabilizer blend. At the end of the season, I ran everything empty and filled the tanks with TruFuel. I ran everything for a bit and put it all away for the winter.

Tried it for the first time this year in a leaf blower and chain saw that are usually hard to start the first time each season even though both are always run dry before being put away. Both started right up with just a few pulls. Amazing. I'm sold. Expensive but worth it IMHO. If you can get it on sale, even better. I think it keeps for a couple years if left unopened.

Considering I've never had any problems with E10 fuel in any of my machines, I don't see the need for TruFuel at all. Therefore, no I don't think it's worth the extra cost.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Where are you finding it for $4.49?

It's on sale at Menard's for that price right now.

40:1 mix
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/out...l/p-2087116.htm

50:1 mix
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/out...l/p-2087117.htm

I've never used TruFuel personally though.

We have a 21 HP ZTR and a push mower for 4 cycle stuff and a chainsaw and weedwacker for 2 cycle stuff. I use the G-Oil fuel stabilizer with E10 in all that stuff and synthetic 2 cycle oil (MVP brand from Menards now) in my 2 cycle mix. This has worked well for me for fuel stored in a sweltering hot detached garage in SE Louisiana and up here in NW Ohio. Everything starts up easy and my 2 cycle mix may sit 9 months to a year before I mix a new 1 gallon batch.

No marine gasoline pumps anywhere near where I currently live either. I could have used marine gasoline easily when we lived in SE Louisiana but I've never had a problem with what I've been doing so far.

Dangit. Menard's doesn't exist in the Northeast. They seem to have good sales all the time.

Here is a good way to locate ethanol-free gasoline if anyone needs it.

Last edited:
It is great stuff if you don't go through much fuel. I tried it but I started going through gallons of fuel. I can't get E0 gas so I just get AV gas. I put up with lead and an overly high octane rating to keep away from ethanol. I went from a carb rebuild yearly to none since I switched about 3 years ago. It always smells like the race track when I burn 2 stroke mix! In my area it's legal to just walk out on the runway at the local airport and fill your can. They make it seem like it's against the law but it's not. The secret is to call the company who sells the fuel at the airport, not the airport itself.

I'm guessing that's an option for those who can't get ethanol free gas? I can go to one of a small number of local gas stations and get ethanol free gas for about $4 a gallon - that's only $1 a quart. I haven't bought two cycle oil in a few years, but seems like that would be a much cheaper option, provided you can get the ethanol free gas.

In CA there are almost no ethanol free gas stations. I believe there are 3 in the state. AV gas is only about $5/gal so it's a good alternative. I love to use true fuel if it was available in bulk.

I started using it this year. I use about a half gallon a year in my trimmer, that does duty as a trimmer, edger, brush cutter and blower. It's very much worth it to me to use Trufuel for this kind of consumption.

Others will claim that your manhood is in jeopardy if you don't mix your own fuel. Life's short, do what makes the trivial tasks simpler.

The local hardware store here sells the mixed fuel by the five gallon jug for $100. At least your cost is only $17.96 if you bought it by the gallon.

The local college and farms purchase it all the time. They state that it has saved them on having to replace trashed equipment from the 2 cycle mix not being mixed correctly.

It sat in my chainsaw for 9 months and started on first try. For infrequent use it's definitely worth it.

Originally Posted By: webfors
It sat in my chainsaw for 9 months and started on first try. For infrequent use it's definitely worth it.

That has been my experience as well.

I leave it in all my 2stroke gear and dont even bother to "winterize" any.

Always starts, runs great.

4 chainsaws, a blower/vac and 2 trimmers.

All TruFuel 40:1

When O'R's had their five dollar off coupon extravaganza in the spring of 2013, I used some of my coupons to buy a bunch of Trufuel.
After the five bucks off, it ended up being cheaper than pump gas.
I used the both the 50:1 and 40:1 fuel in both my four stroke and two stroke OPEs. They all started with unusual ease with this fuel and ran unusally well.
Is it worth the money?
If you use as little two stroke mix as I do, I'd say it probably is.
Since I got rid of my old Lawn Boy mower years ago, I don't use all that much two stroke mix. A chain saw will run for a long time on a quart can of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back