Truck driver skin aging after 28 years of sun exposure

Quite remarkable what sun exposure does to our skin. If the description for the photo is true and accurate, one can see how the side of the face that’s exposed to the sun when one is a driver has aged after 28 years vs the other side that is not exposed. The photo reminded me a bit the mutated humans in the movie Total Recall (1990)

Everything on the exposed side from eye level and below is droopy and looks damaged by radiation. The same side but above eye level is as normal as the other, non-exposed side, perhaps due to hat wearing. Fascinating!

IMG_5503.jpeg

I have repetitively battled skin cancer. Every year I get 10-20 spots "froze off" but the past three consecutive years I have had actual surgeries. 11 stitches left side nose crease, 12 stitches right temple area, but the worst was 57 stitches in right shoulder. They do the Mohs surgery in the Houston Medical Center:

They cut until they find clean margins. In my shoulder they had to dig 3X, and took out a chunk the size of a small walnut or pecan. It was difficult to pull the skin back together so they made a T incision and stitched it up tight. They did beautiful, beautiful work even though I was not worried about the appearance of it.

BTW I am not a truck driver or anything. but I did run around as a kid without a shirt on every day in the Texas summer. I never knew what I was doing to my skin in the late 60's early 70's. I shrugged off all the sunburns every day.

Never heard of this anomaly and I drove class eight trucks for 45 years. Maybe the driver in the first photos had a dedicated run going South in the mornings and North in the evenings….of course reversed for the Brit driver. :rolleyes:

I draped a towel across my arm or put a handkerchief on my head to fight this stuff off. I could feel the sun burning my arm. Maybe it was the meds I use. Most people don't use lotion or sunscreen either.

My dad, 90 years old now, drove gas trucks and other rigs for years before I was born and a little while after. He's fighting all sorts of skin cancer on the left side of his body. There's barely anything left of his ear now, and he's got all sorts of stuff going on on his arm.

That's a false photo. That lady had a stroke. It's been floating around the internet for many years.
William McElligott is very real.

I have repetitively battled skin cancer. Every year I get 10-20 spots "froze off" but the past three consecutive years I have had actual surgeries. 11 stitches left side nose crease, 12 stitches right temple area, but the worst was 57 stitches in right shoulder. They do the Mohs surgery in the Houston Medical Center:

They cut until they find clean margins. In my shoulder they had to dig 3X, and took out a chunk the size of a small walnut or pecan. It was difficult to pull the skin back together so they made a T incision and stitched it up tight. They did beautiful, beautiful work even though I was not worried about the appearance of it.

BTW I am not a truck driver or anything. but I did run around as a kid without a shirt on every day in the Texas summer. I never knew what I was doing to my skin in the late 60's early 70's. I shrugged off all the sunburns every day.
My father in law had skin cancer on his upper eyelid. Yikes. They did Mohs in the Dr office and a plastic surgeon patched him up the next day. He's a tough man. Not one peep of a complaint from him.

I've had a lot of skin bioosies and 3 skin cancer surgeries because the biopsy came back precancerous. No Mohs for me on my arm, leg, and abdomen. I go every 6 months for a screening.

IMG_2885.jpg

Above you see the external stitches. There are more internally in the meat of my shoulder which was necessary to keep it pulled together tight.

Back