Trouble code P0740 - 2002 Honda Civic LX torque converter clutch circuit malfunction

Was getting the check engine light but wasn't sure if it might be something relatively benign like a loose gas cap. Was able to drive it almost all the way home including on the freeway. But then it started shifting strangely and then at a point I couldn't get up a hill, even if I put it in D3 or 2. I found a place to park and let it cool off. Then I could limp up and again I couldn't get going, but this time it was on a slight incline. So again back up to where I could park and let it cool off. Finally I could get it home where I used my cheapie code reader and it pulled up P0740.

The transmission has already been replaced with rebuilt transmission. Not sure what it could be, but whatever it is seems to engage when it's hotter, like going up a hill. I was reading around, and I suppose the easiest to fix would be if it were just a bad torque converter clutch solenoid. I did check the simplest thing, which was that the fluid level is enough.

I'll probably just take it in to the guy who installed the transmission. But anything else it might be?

I'm hoping it's something simple like the torque converter clutch solenoid. I think I might be able to do it by myself, but I'm lousy when it comes to diagnosis. I'll just bring it to "my guy" who does work at home.

Back