Trojan scanner freeware question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, I have been working on managing my MP3 music library. I downloaded a free program today called MP3Tag or something to that effect. It is supposed to organize and manage your MP3 files and restore their id tags. It did not work and after I did that download I noticed my computer was bogged down and running very slowly. I ran Super AntiSpyware on it and it came back with an urgent warning that it had detected a Trojan on my computer. Here is the text from what the SAS scan found:

Trojan.Agent/Gen-InstallCore
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP\21472125.UNINSTALL\UNINSTALL.EXE
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP\ICREINSTALL_MUSICCONVERTERSETUP[1].EXE
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\USER\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\1SCOT98M\MUSICCONVERTERSETUP[1].EXE
C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3677307490-1520543054-1435856923-1006\DC10.LNK
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{08152AC4-F3E9-4014-AA61-A9F6EDE2950D}\RP294\A0046640.EXE

I used SAS and got rid of the trojan and also ran a full 2 hour scan with MSE. MSE did not find any problems. Tonight I found this link to a freeware trojan scanner:

http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

I got to the site by following a link on this UK Wikipedia page I found while reading up on Trojans:

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/bc/bcs5p5.html

I really did not even know what a trojan is until I read about it tonight. I ran the trojan scanner address through Norton Safe Web and it came back OK to use. Before I download it and run it on my computer I want you guys' opinion and info on it. Anyone heard of it? Does it work and is it smart to download and use it on a regular basis? I trust the BITOG computer guys' opinions and info 100,000 times more than I would trust anything I read on the internet.

After I have removed the Trojan is it really gone for good or is there anything else I need to do to keep my computer from being infected or hijacked by some dirtbag online crook? Computer seems to be running fine since I removed the traojan with SAS.

Thanks for your help on this.

The absolute best Malware/Trojan scanner and removal is a program called "Malwarebytes". http://www.malwarebytes.org/

It's probably the most popular and effective scanner out there. I would quick-scan your computer once a week.

Also, make sure your Windows firewall is turned on.

Thanks Popinski. I am now running a full scan of Malwarebytes Pro. They have a free 14 day trial of the Pro version available now. So far it has not found anything but I need to get to bed. I will let it scan and check it in the morning. Thanks for your help.

No problem. Just be careful what you download on the internet. Double-check that it is a legit program and/or website. Last year I went to a website full of trojans and it was masked as a website for the massive Toyota recall.

Malwarebytes killed them all!

GOOD NIGHT!

Malwarebytes did not find anything either. I hope and pray my computer is alright, it seems to be running normally today. I checked my bank account online and it is OK too. I will do some Google searching on that trojan removal program and be sure it is OK before I use it. It is a shame we have to go to this much trouble just to be able to use a computer online. Thanks for the help here.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
i would uninstall your av/malware software and install ms security essentials

it is rated quite well

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Security-Essentials/3000-2239_4-10969260.html

+1 on MSE- It is the ONLY AV software that has ever sucessfully removed any malware for me. It works great if you make sure your Microsoft monthly updates are installed on a regular basis. Their Malicious software update each month is the key IMO.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
i would uninstall your av/malware software and install ms security essentials

it is rated quite well

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Security-Essentials/3000-2239_4-10969260.html

+1 on MSE- It is the ONLY AV software that has ever sucessfully removed any malware for me. It works great if you make sure your Microsoft monthly updates are installed on a regular basis. Their Malicious software update each month is the key IMO.

I already have Microsoft Security Essentials. In my original post I abbreviated it MSE. The firewall is on and I have their most current available spyware and antivirus updates. I have already done a full scan with MSE and it did not find any problems.

Yeah I checked and that trojan removal program looked OK so I downloaded it and it looked like it was doing a scan, said it found 97 items to remove. I seriously doubt I have 97 spyware or malicious programs on my computer. The program will not let you quarantine or remove any problems it "finds" unless you buy the program. You don't find that out until after the "scan" is done. No thanks. MSE, MS malicious software removal tool, Malwarebytes and Super AntiSpyware all seem to get the job done just fine.

this "malware remover" is actually malware ([censored]) itself
uninstall it asap, the "problems" is has found are about as real as the tooth fairy

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Yeah I checked and that trojan removal program looked OK so I downloaded it and it looked like it was doing a scan, said it found 97 items to remove. I seriously doubt I have 97 spyware or malicious programs on my computer. The program will not let you quarantine or remove any problems it "finds" unless you buy the program. You don't find that out until after the "scan" is done. No thanks. MSE, MS malicious software removal tool, Malwarebytes and Super AntiSpyware all seem to get the job done just fine.

What Trojan removal tool are you talking about? Like 2004tdigls said, that is a malicious software. Again, be careful what you're downloading!

Talk to the folks on http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ . I found this website thanks to BITOG. They are hands down the best computer forum on the internet.

It is the one on the site I put the link in my original post, http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

As far as I can tell it did not install anything on my computer. I checked my program files, add/remove and program list on the start bar and there is nothing there from that site. Maybe I am wrong and/or just plain ignorant about it but I guess it is just a web site that looks like it is doing a scan but then they try to get you to pay for it.

Thanks for the link for Toms Hardware. I will check it out.

It is the one on the site I put the link in my original post, http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

As far as I can tell it did not install anything on my computer. I checked my program files, add/remove and program list on the start bar and there is nothing there from that site. Maybe I am wrong and/or just plain ignorant about it but I guess it is just a web site that looks like it is doing a scan but then they try to get you to pay for it.

Thanks for the link for Toms Hardware. I will check it out.

Use HitmanPro. Free to use as a scanner - indefinitely. 30 day trial if it finds anything and you need to use its removal functions.

Also was the original program http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ ? I've tried to use it before, but hated the interface though I've never picked up malware from it.

Instead use this.
http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net/

Its pretty old. Last update was like 2005. It will require you install Visual C++ 6 Run time from Microsoft. That being said, its a great program for tagging MP3s. Simple interface. 90% of all the functions/options you need are on on the main screen with clearly labeled buttons, so no digging around in menus or cryptic icons.

You can tag the files "manually" or use the file names to create the tags. Make sure you use the ID3v2.x tags. The program can also do a mass file rename based on the tags. You do have to set up how it will create the tags from the file name or rename the files, but it very straight forward.

It runs on anything from Win98 up to Win 7.

Thanks for the info Buickman. I may tinker around with the MP3 tags some in the next few days.

If you're going to be tinkering with the MP3s might I also suggest MP3Gain. http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

If using Vista or Win 7 you'll probably need to run it in "XP compatibility mode"

Great little program to use for "fixing" those MP3s with low sound levels. It can also remove "clipping". It analyzes files to determine their dB level. It will tell you if you the program can increase the volume of the file or if its too loud (clipping).

If you look I highlighted a file where there is clipping present. Under the "Max No-clip" column it will tell you if you can increase the volume of the file. If a 0.0 is listed, it cannot increase the volume without causing clipping.

What is clipping? see Clipping

Make sure if you use this you:
1) Options -> put a check mark next to Don't Clip When Doing Track Gain
2) Options -> Tags -> check Ignore (this will ignore ReplayGain info)
3) Options -> Advanced -> check Enable Maximizing Features
4) Use Track Analysis and Track Gain when making changes to files.

Warning! Make a copy of several MP3 files and put them in a new folder while you play around with the program and get used to how it works and its options as having the "ignore tags" option checked means there will be no "undo" on the files.

The program works by analyzing the frame headers of the file and with the ignore tag option checked will directly modify the frame headers rather than writing new ReplayGain info to the file header.

2ahwnqv.png

Thanks again. I may check that program out too, but I don't have any problems with the volume of my MP3's, they are all about the same volume I guess. I made all of my mp3's from the songs in my Itunes library. I had used a freeware program that converts Apple m4a format to regular mp3 format. It also has settings for different selectable bit rates and other formats too. After I made my mp3's, I made backup discs of all of my CD's that I did not already have a backup disc for, then I removed Itunes, Bonjour, Apple Support programs and all Apple/Itunes associated programs from my computer. I still have my Ipod but I don't think I will be using Itunes very much any more, but that is a different subject.

What started this whole ordeal is I have a new Kenwood CD deck in my truck that has a USB port on it for a flash drive. I loaded up my flash drives with MP3's and it plays them just fine. Kenwood has a program you download from their website that wil arrange the mp3's by id tag and it creates play lists that you can use the music search function on the deck to search your mp3 albums by the artist name or song title, kind of like the click wheel on an Ipod does. None of my mp3's have id tags on them. That was what I was trying to accomplish with the mp3 management download. There is a button on my Kenwood deck that you use to go through your album lists but it does it in alphabetical order, one at a time. The music search feature is a better way to do the same thing, but I don't have to have it. I was just trying to see if I could make it work.

I should add here that I just now went to the free m4a convertor site to get the web address and post the link here, and Malwarebytes tells me it is a potentially malicious site and denied me any access to it. Maybe I need to get rid of the convertor program too, it is still on my computer. I have also been using Windows Media Player to create mp3's from regular and burned CD's, so now that I am done with Itunes I really do not need the m4a convertor....

Thanks for your help here.

Thanks again. I may check that program out too, but I don't have any problems with the volume of my MP3's, they are all about the same volume I guess. I made all of my mp3's from the songs in my Itunes library. I had used a freeware program that converts Apple m4a format to regular mp3 format. It also has settings for different selectable bit rates and other formats too. After I made my mp3's, I made backup discs of all of my CD's that I did not already have a backup disc for, then I removed Itunes, Bonjour, Apple Support programs and all Apple/Itunes associated programs from my computer. I still have my Ipod but I don't think I will be using Itunes very much any more, but that is a different subject.

What started this whole ordeal is I have a new Kenwood CD deck in my truck that has a USB port on it for a flash drive. I loaded up my flash drives with MP3's and it plays them just fine. Kenwood has a program you download from their website that wil arrange the mp3's by id tag and it creates play lists that you can use the music search function on the deck to search your mp3 albums by the artist name or song title, kind of like the click wheel on an Ipod does. None of my mp3's have id tags on them. That was what I was trying to accomplish with the mp3 management download. There is a button on my Kenwood deck that you use to go through your album lists but it does it in alphabetical order, one at a time. The music search feature is a better way to do the same thing, but I don't have to have it. I was just trying to see if I could make it work.

I should add here that I just now went to the free m4a convertor site to get the web address and post the link here, and Malwarebytes tells me it is a potentially malicious site and denied me any access to it. Maybe I need to get rid of the convertor program too, it is still on my computer. I have also been using Windows Media Player to create mp3's from regular and burned CD's, so now that I am done with Itunes I really do not need the m4a convertor....

Thanks for your help here.

Itunes can convert from m4a to mp3 so an external program isn't necessary.

I noticed when you mentioned removing iTunes you mentioned all the garbage Apple bundles with it. Make sure you check your services to see if iPodservices is still running along with apple application support.

I have iTunes but only for accessing podcasts that I can't download directly from the creators' websites.

If you want to reinstall iTunes at some point without all of the extra garbage Apple bundles with it, let me know. Its a pretty simple process that takes about 15 minutes and involves "unpacking" the installer using a program like 7zip to get to the actual programs that are installed by the monolithic file Apple has you download. That file actually unpacks to reveal an installer for 4 different programs. You also have to disable 1 service that gets installed, delete the iPodServices.exe file and create an empty text file with the same name and put an .exe file extension on it.

Using the stripped down install method, you can install iTunes without installing Bonjour or Apple Application Update and the 2 services and 1 startup item that get quietly installed without your knowledge.

Thanks again. I did go into my services folder and there is nothing there from Apple or Itunes. I doubt I will ever use Itunes again. I got pretty fed up with the DRM files they put on about 150 songs I bought from Apple back in 2007 and 2008. I was trying to put those songs on a flash drive and it would not work. I had to go through a lot of steps, burn the songs on a CD-RW and then re-import them as MP3's then make another playlist of the MP3 files and drag that to the flash drive. It was a lot of work and aggravation to be able to work with songs that I had already paid for. It made me mad because I figure once I pay for a song it is mine and I should be able to play it how I want on any type of device I want.

I also fell out with Itunes when I finally realized just how big it is and how it was slowing down my computer. I don't need Itunes, If I need new music I can buy MP3's from Amazon just as easily as I can from Apple. Lately I have been checking out CD's from the library and burning copies for free here at home.

I really don't know if I will ever use Itunes again but I will let you know if I need the zip file to install Itunes your way. I got tired of Apple only allowing me to do what Apple says I can do with my own music files. My computer runs a lot faster and is more efficient without Itunes taking up acres of space on my hard drive. I got rid of Free M4a to MP3 Convertor this morning too.

Thanks for all of your help and info on this.

Thanks again. I did go into my services folder and there is nothing there from Apple or Itunes. I doubt I will ever use Itunes again. I got pretty fed up with the DRM files

Same here. I only use it for free non-DRM content, i.e. podcasts that I can't get directly from the authors' websites.

Quote:
I also fell out with Itunes when I finally realized just how big it is and how it was slowing down my computer. I don't need Itunes, If I need new music I can buy MP3's from Amazon just as easily as I can from Apple.

+1 on Amazon

Yes its iTunes is a resource hog. It installs 2 or 3 services plus a starup item. All are essentially worthless other than the iPodservice as it is needed to allow management of iPods. If you're someone like me without an iPod, this service is pointless.

Quote:
I really don't know if I will ever use Itunes again but I will let you know if I need the zip file to install Itunes your way. I got tired of Apple only allowing me to do what Apple says I can do with my own music files.

You won't need a zip file from me. You will need the program 7zip http://www.7-zip.org/ to extract the individual installation files from the monolithic installer Apple provides. You're right about the my way or the highway approach of apple which is what has turned me off to their products - permanently.

Just in case you ever do want to reinstall it here are the links explaining how as well as other tweaks to speed it up.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28727/how-to-install-itunes-without-extra-bloat/
This link is correct except for Quicktime is no longer included in the installer and you must download and install it first before begining the modified install process for iTunes.

Other link similar to the one above with a little more detail, but it is a little harder to follow. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-unofficial-guide-to-installing-itunes-10-without-bloatware/2390?tag=mantle_skin;content

You'll then need to use this link http://www.ghacks.net/2009/06/07/disable...ipodserviceexe/ as it explains how to terminate with extreme prejudice the iPodservice.exe service/process. It involves renaming the original exe file to a .bak extension and then creating a text file with the same name spelled exactly the same (upper/lower case characters) and giving that text file an exe extension.

Tweaks for speeding up iTunes ever after doing the custom install. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/23480/10-tips-to-make-itunes-for-windows-run-faster/

After doing the custom install, the first time you run iTunes you'll get 2 or three of ominous warnings about missing components like Bonjour and other items. You just mark the check box "Don't tell me again" and click okay and iTunes then works just fine as a stand alone program for accessing Apples store (which is where I get my podcasts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back