Triumph Tiger 1200 - 5.3K, 7.7K, and 10K analysis

2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRt. Oil used every time was Castrol Power 1 4T 10W/50

The 20K mile information is missing because the dealership did the service so I didn't get an oil sample. I am not going to push past 10K because of how the service intervals line up.

1614006803597.jpg

Metals are coming down nicely....did Blackstone say what mileage the averages are based on?

Tiger 800 owner here. These motors shear oil. I'd keep the intervals at 5k if you don't mind the inconvenience.

What is the oil capacity? Why not change every 3-5K?

Disclaimer - I have never changed the oil on a motorcycle and just assume it is really easy.

You have the option of running the freer flowing 40 grade... however either the 40 and 50 grade will meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

2018Triumph1200.JPG

The question based on the numbers is tee’d up like a softball, so I am going to hit it... Are you satisfied with the oil shearing out of grade to barely a 30 wt? I gather shift quality stays good, as that would seem to indicate shift quality going down with that amount of shear/reduction in viscosity. With the 5,200 mile OCI, it is barely 30 wt with a flashpoint of 415. Nice to see it hasn’t dropped much lower as you have extended the oil change interval each time and based upon the second and third OCI’s having a much lower flashpoint. I share each time I see really low retained viscosity that M1 10w40 4T and M1 20w50 V-Twin stay in grade in my shared sump ZRX 1200 for 5,000+ mile OCI’s. Even if Castrol 10w50 is lower priced, which I don’t believe it is, something that stays in grade may be worth considering?

I say this tongue and cheek, but maybe just start with a 30 wt like BLS has been promoting all these years... :unsure:

Last edited:
Just to answer several questions.

No, they didn't mention what the average interval is but I am guessing it is much less than 10K.

Historically I have changed around 3K to 5K because of sheering and notchy shifting. When I changed out the 4 quarts one of the thing I was looking at was how much the shifting would change and it surprised me that I didn't notice much difference. I have ran some oils like Rotella T6 in the past where I really felt the gearbox degrade. This oil didn't.

I chose this oil because originally I got a really good deal on it and so I ordered a few cases. No belief in any special magic of the Castrol.

I really don't know as I care if the oil is shearing down. The metals dropped so it can't be hurting the engine, the shifting had almost no change over the life of the oil (shifts great).

I’m going to second the motion that if shift quality has truly not fallen off, I wouldn’t complain otherwise with the results you got. (y)

The fact you have run T6 5w40 and know what shift quality falling off feels like, I am impressed that this oil despite ending up a low 30 weight didn’t seem to have any issues.

Back