tripe taco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday morning after visiting my doc for blood work results.(Cholesterol pretty good,A1C number was a high.So that was a mixed bag.)
I live in a town of 20 k in central Georgia usa my doc is in a smaller town of about 7k up the road.For the last year when i visit the doc I stop at a small mexican grocery located in a former service station.This store has a small 4 table diner where i usually get a large burrito and a tongue taco.
This day i decided to be adventurous and got a grilled pork burrito,tongue taco and for the first time a tripe taco.The tripe was awesome ,slightly chewy marinated in some spice mixture with grilled onion and cilantro and tomatilla sauce.The tongue was spiced well and better than the tongue i get in a larger popular restaurant.The grilled pork burrito had bacon,pork,onion,cilantro,pinto beans,tomatoes,avocado,peppers and sour cream.I think I have found my new favorite joint.I got all of this and a mixed bag of pastries with a large coffee for 12 bucks.
The only problem with this, is now I will have to figure out how the tripe is prepared.Any one got any recipes?

Last edited:
shoooot over here in Los Angeles, residents here make alot of that stuff and from what i seen they get it from a butcher ( carniceria ) and deep fry it in a large wok looking thing served with green salsa or red salsa, onions, cilantro, lemon.

i dont think there is a special way to make it, its a very simple and very tasty food.

Last edited:
We have a ton of local authentic (and I mean LOCAL......LOCO) Mexican hole in the wall places and the food is always excellent. One place in particular serves ceviche (fish, shrimp, or scallops). I can eat a half gallon of the stuff.

I've tried mondongo once (tripe soup) and it was alright with the seasonings and such, but just didn't sit well with me.

tripe with no seasonings taste a little like liver so it an acquired taste. You mentioned ceviche and that my friend is some tasty stuff haha

40.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
We have a ton of local authentic (and I mean LOCAL......LOCO) Mexican hole in the wall places and the food is always excellent. One place in particular serves ceviche (fish, shrimp, or scallops). I can eat a half gallon of the stuff.
Genuine ceviche from Peru is the absolute best. Only problem is, it's a pain to go to Peru!

where are you located? I am here in Macon and I see that you are from central Ga as well. I would love to visit that restaurant and get a tongue taco. I have been looking for that kind of place around here and it just seems to allude me.

i'm over in milledgeville.the mexican place is in eatonton.it is located in an old service station across the street from the napa auto parts and the pawn n shop.they are also a small mexi grocery.and usually have a display of pastries.it has 4 tables and they cook as you order.although sometimes they are out of tongue.not sure how late they are open i'm usually there during the day.

Girlfriend is Mexican....get to eat and sample loads of great authentic cooking. Some of the strangest foods turn out to be very tasty....and yes, some not. The hard part is finding a good Mexican store that carries the meats and such. Around here most of the Mexican markets have a butcher, bakery, lunch counter, and all kinds of fresh produce (cheaper than the local Safeway usually).
On a side note....you've never had a taco until you've had one with grilled brains.

MENUDO, Breakfast of Champions, and a great cure for those next day hangover blues.
thumbsup2.gif

hey VEGA!
did you ever try the mexi place in eatonton?
there is also a place i have yet to try in macon.it is in the shopping center in from whiskey river near the interstate exit.i drove past it one day.the windows were filled with handwritten spanish menus on different color posterboards.but i was pressed for time and did not stop.maybe you have tried it and can give me some feedback.

Originally Posted By: UberxG
tripe with no seasonings taste a little like liver so it an acquired taste. You mentioned ceviche and that my friend is some tasty stuff haha

Really tripe tastes like liver with no seasoning? Hmmm...
Lately I've been eating a burrito with meat from a beef head and I really enjoy it. LOL I didn't know it was from the head for a couple weeks!

I have a fairly diverse pallette but the smell of tripe soup did get me - I couldnt eat it. Not sure if Id like tripe or tongue tacos... but Ill need to try at some point to see.

I'm a very non-fussy eater, but that sounds awful to me! IMO, menudo would be a wonderful soup if only they would leave out the tripe!
grin.gif

The other stuff sounds mighty good though.
wink.gif

I think I'll leave the organs for the dogs and the members of third world countries. People only ever ate that nasty [censored] because they couldn't afford meat, or because it was scarce. It may be vitamin-rich or whatever, but I think I'd rather eat flintstones vitamins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back