Trimmer decision

Looks like a beast! 2.3 hp! I bet it rips.
It’s crazy chews up long grass and brush like nothing and that was with the dealer filling the head with cheap sthil .095 line. btw trimmer guard was taken off as soon as I got it home

Recommend changing the head to a speedfeed 450 or 400?....and some oregon gatorline or shakespeare ugly in .105 or .130 depending on what you do, and tall grass stalks beware!!!

Just about a gallon of fuel into the unit the 240r seems to be at full power and my decision moving to this machine may have been the best yet. Putting new .095 Shakespeare line on from the garbage sthil .08 garbage they had factory filled with the trimmer is unbelievable. Balance of the machine is not all that great and it’s worst downfall this is not a delicate trimmer going around the little flower bed it wants to be run wide open clearing brush and is what I wanted it to do from the get go. I truly love this 240r and give it 4.5 out of 5 and tell anyone who wants a balls out machine I don’t think any other make or mfg can beat it’s power.

My 535LST is in - I'll go pick it up Friday - will hit it hard straight away - so should have a report on it soon.

Well 2 tanks through it and:
- drilled out the catalytic muffler straight away - about 80% of the exhaust port hole size openings, didn't gain as much as my 325LX did, maybe only 10% vs 25%-30% on the little one....but it was on the first tank of gas and didn't want to run it hot because was going to go 'flat out'....and I did.

The .095 or .085 husky grey line that came in it was so tiny...it cut well....but I went through the whole head in 30minutes of tall grass with some rocks....

Changed to .105 shakespeare yellow twist and went on for another 40minutes and used half the spool....almost all on 3/4-full throttle with guard on so 20" cutting swath....could not get close to bogging the thing down! It was amazing - I was sweeping as fast as I could in 2-3ft tall southern wild grass! - and the rpms never dropped out of the sweet spot!!!!! It cuts faster with line than my 265RX!!!! (that has .130 line and 6hp!!!)....

Next thing is the guard coming off, since it can spin a larger swath - and i will use way less line because I accidentally keep bumping the head because the guard gets in my way in some angles I'm used to. Will help with the weight a little too.....I would not want any more for the way I trim.....Antivibe is awesome....less vibration than the 25cc 325LX.

Glad it worked out for both of us!!! Thanks for putting the bug in my ear - I should have done this way sooner!!1

Last edited:
535lst.JPG

Attachments

• yard.JPG
    yard.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 27
Put oregon round .130 gatorline in the spool and hit the tall stuff - (you see the line in the weeds in the back of the picture - up to 4ft).....could run 24" of that line without the guard on!!!!! This thing is insane now. Why didn't I do this sooner!

Them guards just get in the way get them off in true brush cutting and it’s a whole different machine ya just got to have enough power to let it eat. For the most part a little homeowner model just won’t cut it you got to get into a true pro machine to handle it and I think you got a good one.

Well 2 tanks through it and:
- drilled out the catalytic muffler straight away - about 80% of the exhaust port hole size openings, didn't gain as much as my 325LX did, maybe only 10% vs 25%-30% on the little one....but it was on the first tank of gas and didn't want to run it hot because was going to go 'flat out'....and I did.

The .095 or .085 husky grey line that came in it was so tiny...it cut well....but I went through the whole head in 30minutes of tall grass with some rocks....

Changed to .105 shakespeare yellow twist and went on for another 40minutes and used half the spool....almost all on 3/4-full throttle with guard on so 20" cutting swath....could not get close to bogging the thing down! It was amazing - I was sweeping as fast as I could in 2-3ft tall southern wild grass! - and the rpms never dropped out of the sweet spot!!!!! It cuts faster with line than my 265RX!!!! (that has .130 line and 6hp!!!)....

Next thing is the guard coming off, since it can spin a larger swath - and i will use way less line because I accidentally keep bumping the head because the guard gets in my way in some angles I'm used to. Will help with the weight a little too.....I would not want any more for the way I trim.....Antivibe is awesome....less vibration than the 25cc 325LX.

Glad it worked out for both of us!!! Thanks for putting the bug in my ear - I should have done this way sooner!!1
What oil and mix ratio you at different for break in? are you running E0 or other?

What oil and mix ratio you at different for break in? are you running E0 or other?

No - same - I always hard break-in, get hot and pause. do it again a few times....helps seat the rings. 32:1 Motul 800 with Premium 91 octane (NO ETHANOL) with stabilizer (used to use Stabil - now starbrite)......that oil is the best I have ever used....I go through 20 gallons a year, and the Motul is leaps and bounds ahead of all of them. Especially since Mobil quit selling the MX1T (spelling?) - that was great too - lowered the cylinder temps by 20°F. The Motul does another 15°F on top of that.

No - same - I always hard break-in, get hot and pause. do it again a few times....helps seat the rings. 32:1 Motul 800 with Premium 91 octane (NO ETHANOL) with stabilizer (used to use Stabil - now starbrite)......that oil is the best I have ever used....I go through 20 gallons a year, and the Motul is leaps and bounds ahead of all of them. Especially since Mobil quit selling the MX1T (spelling?) - that was great too - lowered the cylinder temps by 20°F. The Motul does another 15°F on top of that.
Motul 800 off road correct?

Have you tried Torco Gp-7?

Have you tried Torco Gp-7?
No I have not. I see it doesnt even claim JASO FD - so I dont really see a point. AND even higher price.
The Motul is most popular with he top unlimited go-cart engine racers in Europe - those spin at sustained 18-20K RPM so its perfect for my 2-stroke stuff.

Pulled out some old .155 line I used on a walk behind trimmer. The 240 will pull it but sure puts a load on the engine but at wot it sure has some snot.
20200912_102048.jpg

LOL ! That ought to cut!!!!! Good stuff!!!

I did another tankful this am.....just .130 gatorline - used about half a heads worth of line.....
IMG_2445.jpg

Back