Trimmer decision

New trimmer day replacing my 14 year Tanaka 280pf coil gave up the ghost and parts are on the way.
Needing to update and making a choice between two but open possibility to others.

Two on the list
Echo SRM-3020T
Husqvarna 535LS

Anyone with time or use with any of the two feedback would be appreciated again possibly open to others but nothing smaller.

Id pick the husqvarna...
-The echo is flex-cable driven....dont know if this husky is, (my 325LX is solid shaft and has been a beast for 20 years)
-husky has quite a bit more power, same weight

How many minutes of trimming time do you typically do in a session, with the throttle at full speed? I sold my gas powered trimmer after buying a Dewalt 20 V 5amp hr battery electric two years ago. I find the actual time with the trimmer running at full speed is sometimes fairly low and most of the time is spent walking from one location to another while “blipping” the the throttle.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
It's unfortunate Maruyama doesn't have a larger dealer network in the United States. They are made in Japan
and are built better in every way compared to everyone. 7mm solid steal drive shaft, aluminum shaft to engine housing~where is that on the two listed above?
My brother has a smaller Maryuyama and likes the head on it. Has a metal center so it wont wear out as quick and he says he lines up an arrow on the head, inserts line, evens it up, winds it in and it has line on both sides.
42CC long shaft trimmer https://maruyama-us.com/product/b42l/

Which ever is lighter! Both are quality units. I will face the same decision as i need to replace my husky unit next year.

How many minutes of trimming time do you typically do in a session, with the throttle at full speed? I sold my gas powered trimmer after buying a Dewalt 20 V 5amp hr battery electric two years ago. I find the actual time with the trimmer running at full speed is sometimes fairly low and most of the time is spent walking from one location to another while “blipping” the the throttle.
This is what would be commercial use 99% will be used WOT with min 1 hr stints. I can almost shutdown talk of a battery operated trimmer it will never be considered.

Which ever is lighter! Both are quality units. I will face the same decision as i need to replace my husky unit next year.
Both spec wise are cutting hairs. Husqvarna has more power but 1.4 gear ratio compared to 2.0 on the Echo. I believe the anti vibration is better on the husky and that is a huge deal as my Tanaka was the best in class I have ever used in that regard.

Both spec wise are cutting hairs. Husqvarna has more power but 1.4 gear ratio compared to 2.0 on the Echo. I believe the anti vibration is better on the husky and that is a huge deal as my Tanaka was the best in class I have ever used in that regard.

The T head spins slower at any given RPM - the head spins too slow and thus you don't get that nice crisp cut.
IMHO

The T head spins slower at any given RPM - the head spins too slow and thus you don't get that nice crisp cut.
IMHO
That has been what the critics have said I was set on the Echo till I have read this many times.

Being an Echo person, with a blower and two chainsaws that all get used a lot on my 7 acres. I actually like Echo chainsaws better than Husqvarna or Stihl saws. Far better than Stihl. Having said that I got a fantastic deal on a Husqvarna trimmer several years ago and it is a great trimmer. Easy starts and no problems at all. I have used and owned several Husqvarna saws too and they are beasts. I wouldn't be upset to have either one in any OPE, but I just like Echo saws better. If I were to buy a new trimmer, i'm guessing it would be an Echo, but there's no real reason to choose other one over the other than how it feels and the priced difference. They are both that good.

I have a 535 LS and it is heavy and powerful. I like it. It really flings debris with great athority so when I weed wack fields or rough areas I wear layers of protective clothing safety glasses and a face shield. The pain is severe.

I have a 535 LS and it is heavy and powerful. I like it. It really flings debris with great athority so when I weed wack fields or rough areas I wear layers of protective clothing safety glasses and a face shield. The pain is severe.
All in all how you like the build and how is it on vibration for extended use I am leaning towards this unit. What line size you running

The 535 has been flawless for the 7 years I have owned it. I used it in my old house to trim grass for a fire safe zone . It would take about 10 hours of time to get the cutting done and I did about two to three hours per session and the vibes never were a consideration. I use the diameter of line that came with the trimmer which I am almost positive it is .115. Before the 535 I bought a 325 which broke the drive line after 13 years of abuse trimming the field , that is why I bought the 535. The 535 cut the time it took me to trim by half. The 325 had a life time drive line warranty and the ope store guy said bring the 325 in and well fix it which they did so I have both. The 325 is nice for the lawn . and is 20 year old and it has taken a licking and keeps on ticking. Both start after sitting all winter with out doing any voo doo like fuel stabilizers or any thing else, I run 32 to 1 oil ratio and run them wide open throttle.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Stihl FS131R today, it's in the same league as the trimmers you mentioned. I was on vacation for two weeks and when I got home the grass was knee high in places, so I spent about 5 hours with it trimming and knocking down tall grass. I'm completely satisfied. This is my first Stihl, I have always shied away from them because I felt a 2-stroke would always be better for this application, and I was under the assumption that Stihl went the 4-stroke route primarily for eco reasons, not power or other attributes that might benefit the consumer. On a whim I decided to try them and proved myself wrong. This trimmer mows circles around my Echo SRM-266 (which itself is no slouch)-- I can literally trim/mow tall grass and light brush in half the time. Hit the throttle, the thing snaps to life and doesn't bog down. The Echo (SRM-266) is a beast at sustained full throttle, but this Stihl can do most light to moderate trimming not too far past idle. In the thick stuff medium to full throttle impressed the heck out of me. But then it ought to outperform the SRM-266 since it cost $130 more-- I haven't used the SRM-3020 but expect it would be a fine machine. If you're dead set against Stihl, I'd recommend the Echo. I pretty much swore off any trimmer except Echo after I bought my SRM-266- better trimmer in every way than anything I'd used prior. But I could not find a high end Echo trimmer locally, so I tried the Stihl and am glad I did.

Last edited:
Back